Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the FJ is just shy of 180,000 mi and still on its original brakes. Late February I needed to order some other front end pieces and figured whilst I'm in there no better time to do the brakes.

I ordered a complete Power Stop Z36 kit (rotors, pads an calipers)
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=9663760&cc=1433267&jsn=400

This weekend I finally had enough time to do the work.....time for pics the numbers will follow later:

The Patient being prepped and accompanying jewlery

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now I am about to dig into the install and in the back of my mind the horror stories of stuck bolts, rotors, calipers, gallons of PB blaster etc are swelling to the surface and I am starting to wonder...

No worries - everything came undone nice and right with hand tools. No PB, No torch (dang it) and no air tools.

Once the calipers were off I was curious if any were stuck.....nope. All compressed back nice and easy, pair of channel locks and a one handed squeeze. The discolouration in the pics is not from leaking but brake fluid that decided to be like cooper kote and dribble everywhere.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So I took a rotor to work to double check my measurements I took at home. I brought it to my inspectors and tasked them to throw the rotor on the CMM purely as an exercise, a test and a break from their normal routine. The CMM validated what was measured.

Here is a pick of a front rotor with a flat surface (2" gauge block) set on top, used this to try and show the profile or lack there of the rotors surface. The condition is similar for all 4 corners:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now for the numbers:

Drivers side front:

TIR - 0.0014"
Rotor Thickness - 1.080"
Pad - 0.098"

Passenger side:

TIR - 0.0016"
Rotor Thickness - 1.078"
Pad - 0.095"

Driver side Rear :

TIR - 0.0032
Rotor Thickness - 0.660"
Pad - 0.085"

Passenger side

TIR - 0.0029"
Rotor Thickness - 0.658"
Pad - 0.087"

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, from these numbers and experience:

I probably could have hit the 200k mi mark.

The rotors - could have kept using them and just swapped out pads

Oh and just for fun here is a pic of one of my TC uniballs after 80k mi

Attachments

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
That is pretty crazy @mikey! I am only at 97K (on original brakes). I cannot imagine getting another 90K out of it. Thanks for sharing!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts