Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. I’m sure you all have the answer I crave. I have driven a million cars but never One like the FJ beast..
While driving in the wet, i feel like it is going to slide out on me around corners and it has before. Feels unstable.
I’m not going too fast, and the tyres are relatively new.
Am I missing something? Should I have the 4wd gear in a different setting?
does anyone else feel the same?
I’m not a nervous driver, but driving this beast in the wet has made me nervous!!
HELP!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
-What kind of tires do you have? What air pressures?
-When was the last time you had an alignment?
-When you slip do you see the VSC light blink, or chime alert you that the system is working?

The FJ has a high center of gravity, and a relatively short wheelbase. It's never going to be 100% a stud in slippery conditions but it should be manageable. If you're running aggressive off-road focused tires it will be far worse. You shouldn't be driving in 4WD on pavement. It's bad for the drivetrain since it will cause the system to bind up creating more stress on the components. The VSC system is pretty aggressive and will help keep things in line but it's not going to save you if you're over-driving the conditions and your tires.

·
Registered
2007 Fj Cruiser
14 Posts
I’m going to say, the tire compound that it is made of is too hard, try going to a silica based tire, something with heavy siping. I’ve been squawking my tires around corners in dry conditions, which really shouldn’t be happening how I’m driving, but it’s all due to the tires I have on there now.

·
Premium Member
12,564 Posts
Have the various traction aids kicked in when this happens?

Ease up on the skinny pedal?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
My 12 TT with Ko2 285s felt like that upon purchase

After lowering tire pressures and doing the chalk test it’s much more stable in the corners

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
My 12 TT with Ko2 285s felt like that upon purchase

After lowering tire pressures and doing the chalk test it’s much more stable in the corners
Chalk test?

Reactions: Supasta

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Chalk test?
Rub chalk on the tires and drive straight for ~100 feet. If the chalk is worn only in the center, then there is too much pressure. If the chalk is only worn on the side edges, then not enough tire pressure. Ideally should wear evenly on the entire surface.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ohh I’m so happy I have some replies! Ok I’ll check all these things today.. and I do remember a light if some popping up on the dash.. what do you think that was?
Hope it’s just a tyre pressure thing. What do you guys suggest I put in them?
And please believe me when I say I’m a grandma around corners in the wet. I literally have cars sitting up my arse.. i’ll be doing 75km/hr in a 100 zone around easy bends.
One day I hope to be more knowledgeable but an the moment I’m a FJ rookie.

·
Admin
7,409 Posts
It was likely the traction control kicking in and lighting up....

Yeah, it's starting to sound more and more tire pressure related. Drop 5 pounds out of each and try it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok all,
So I have TORO all terrain tyres on 30% off road 70% on road, heaps of tread and they were at 36-38 PSI, so I dropped them all to 36PSI.
It’s due to get a CV joint replaced so I’ll wait till that’s done then get a wheel alignment and rotation and see how it goes.
I’m baffled

·
Premium Member
2,843 Posts
There is little weight over the rear tires. A new bumper will help. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I’m surprised to hear your FJ’s wanting to slide out so easily. I drove my TT with BFG KO2’s from California to Texas through light/medium rain, snow covered roads, and a lot of dry pavement once out of California. Without the slightest bit of concern. While it’s an off-road SUV and not as stable as say a car, or compact SUV it’s very well mannered on road.
Something I saw asked but not answered, is are you driving in 4 wheel drive on the pavement? As PhoS mentioned that’s not a good idea. (If it’s an automatic?)
And yes those lights are most certainly the traction control as others have mentioned.
As for tire pressure, that’s more based on the tire/vehicle recommendation. For example my TT came with the BFG KO2’s and the door jam sticker was updated to reflect 46psi for “those” particular tires on my FJ. The stock FJ with street tires was 32psi. Yours will most likely be different from either.
Are you referring to Toyo Tires? If so what exact model/size, that will better help people give you the recommendations on tire pressure.
And if they are Toyo tires, depending on the model I doubt that’s the issue. As they make good tires, unless you bought something crazy just designed for off road use.
But the question I’m surprised to not see asked yet, is this vehicle “stock”? Or is it lifted, or have perhaps an aftermarket suspension, something designed for more off-road use? As a lifted FJ would perform very differently on road than a stock one, with even a higher center of gravity.
I’m no expert on suspension far from actually, but knowing the conditions of the vehicle are important to helping to solve the problem. There are a number of far more knowledgeable members than me on this subject on here. Several have already chimed in. But those would be my questions.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Oh and 75km/h is still 45mph, and depending on the turn and condition of the vehicle can still be kinda fast in the rain.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Just to confirm the basics:
1. If this is an auto transmission vehicle, you are NOT driving it in 4H mode on pavement;
2. If this is a manual transmission vehicle, you are NOT driving it in 4L mode on pavement.

I can't imagine any FJ handling like a "beast" on damp paved roads unless there is a problem with the vehicle, or a problem with the driver.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Got a pick of your tire tread?
Tires likely way hard and alignment could be off.
Agree on old out of date rubber. What man date on tire.

I run 32psi in STT Pro’ (285). Excellent wear and traction on all road surfaces. (Chalk test tells me I could run 28-30)
Will add never on freeway and mostly 60mph max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ok all,
So I have TORO all terrain tyres on 30% off road 70% on road, heaps of tread and they were at 36-38 PSI, so I dropped them all to 36PSI.
It’s due to get a CV joint replaced so I’ll wait till that’s done then get a wheel alignment and rotation and see how it goes.
I’m baffled
Do the chalk test. Really!

36 psi is high, at least for me. My chalk test rates out at 30 to 32 psi depending on ambient temps

Highlighting others comments - no 4wd on asphalt or concrete - ever

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had a similar problem but it tended to slide out on loose gravel roads. It was pretty subtle almost like the steering wheel was fighting me. It was fixed with a full wheel alignment. There is a system called the VSC (Vehicle Stability Computer, I think) which needed to be re-calibrated. It was at 18deg and it should have been 0deg. Problem went away completely after the alignment. I am not sure an old school mechanical wheel alignment will do the trick. Don't ask me explain anything in detail. I believe the VSC was so far out of calibration it got confused and thought it was on the verge of sliding. You might want to turn off the traction control system and see if the problem goes away. It's in that lower row of switches just in front the shifter on a manual trans FJ. That may be the best way to rule out a problem with the VSC.

Sorry I can't help with your wanker problem. They seem to be everywhere.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts