Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was under the fj today and kept staring at the tailpipe. I had cut off the last few inches after my last offroad adventure pushed it into the bumper. I really like allpro's answer, but having no money right now, I went to the store and bought a turn down tip (the $4 part) and had at it with the cutoff wheel and welder. Now she's even with the frame rail. Sounds pretty much stock. The hardest part was getting those bolts loose so I could work on the tailpipe on the bench. Broke a socket! Not too pretty, but it'll get the job done and I'm only out $4 and about an hour and a half. The last pic is of the damage the stock tip did to my back bumper....

Attachments

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
You go boy!!! I didn't know you melted your tupperware like that, bummer.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Was under the fj today and kept staring at the tailpipe. I had cut off the last few inches after my last offroad adventure pushed it into the bumper. I really like allpro's answer, but having no money right now, I went to the store and bought a turn down tip (the $4 part) and had at it with the cutoff wheel and welder. Now she's even with the frame rail. Sounds pretty much stock. The hardest part was getting those bolts loose so I could work on the tailpipe on the bench. Broke a socket! Not too pretty, but it'll get the job done and I'm only out $4 and about an hour and a half. The last pic is of the damage the stock tip did to my back bumper....
wooo thats what Im talking about.Cheap n' easy homemade mods.I hate over priced FJ parts.....:rocker::rocker:

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
That's a good idea, but I couldn't get away with it here.

In Texas, that pipe would get me a ticket, or a denial at yearly inspection time. If you have an enclosed cab, the exhaust tip must either exit the rear of the vehicle and angle downward, or exit the side of the vehicle. It's really a safety rule, to prevent asphixiation from carbon monoxide (should all the windows be up, and idling). I know, I know, like you're really gonna be in the vehicle long enough to matter, but apparently enough people have done it for the Texas DPS to mandate it.

If it were me, I'd continue the pipe along the frame, and then angle the tip under the bumper...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nice, simple fix.

One small question. At idle, stopped in traffic -- how much more exhaust fumes do you notice --- if any additional?

Keep up the great ideas.
None. Maybe if the back window was open, but with the stock exhaust it would,too. I sat in line today picking up my daughter from school and didn't notice it at all.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Very cool simple fix. We haven't had the FJ out on a trail yet (since it is only 3 weeks old and we have been out of town every weekend!:flame:) and I have been looking at that tail pipe. I don't think it is going to last long haha. I didn't even think about the tail pipe melting the plastic of the rear bumper. I might need to do something about this soon.. Thanks!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Zombie's is closer to the back, but his (and the all pro) still dump behind the back bumper, I can't see how mine is much worse, we're talking a few inches difference. Since someone mentioned inspection, though, that does have me a bit concerned, but I have until january to worry about that. I may rework it before that, but I still don't see a "perfect" solution as to where to run it that won't get crushed. Maybe when I fab a new bumper I'll holesaw a hole in it and run straight out the back?

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
When I was going to college and had no disposable income, I had a car that had a short tail pipe ('68 Ford Torino). It exited behind the rear wheel. In the winter with the windows closed and the heater on I would get really drowsy after driving for about 30 minutes at a time. I attributed it to my hectic lifestyle, but after buying a $5 pipe at the auto parts place and extending the tailpipe, I was no longer getting drowsy while driving. A real "wake-up" call for me. It was scary to think that I could have fallen asleep or passed out from the exhaust fumes so easily.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
291 Posts
I like the ingenuity but you have invited trouble... big time...

Don't leave it like that
I to would like to know?

Just my opinon,I don't see a problem with it, I have had mine like that over 11 months..When I was a super working constuction in the central valley at over 100+ degrees sitting with car running with no wind over 30 mins at times and not once any and never noticed any thing.As far as inspection don't know in cali,they told me it would pass but we will find out next year.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Welding is not so hard, just need to have a welder :) $ of us took out our tail pipes on the same obsticle, James included.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts