Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quick pics of what I did. I used expanded steel for the fillers

I welded all the steel pieces to the tubing.

Two coats of self etching primer and 5 cans of Dupli-color truck bed coating and they were done. Let them sit for a few days and installed today.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Looks great. :rocker:

All-Pro is also offering fillers for these which is laser cut and dimple-died.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was gonna order them with those but I did mine for about half the price. And after about 6 years I finally got to use my brand new welder and have some alone time in the garage.
:rocker:

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I was gonna order them with those but I did mine for about half the price. And after about 6 years I finally got to use my brand new welder and have some alone time in the garage.
:rocker:

I commend you! :cheers: I've been meaning to get off my arse and do the same. If TG would have sold them with filler plates way back when... I would have purchased a set.

I'm not sure what type of material to use...expanded metal or a smaller mesh with smaller holes. I want to know if it can divert some of the thicker mud from my side panels. If you play in the mud, let us know if it somewhat protects the sides :bigthumb:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will, gotta wait for our foot of snow to melt. I ran with a 16 gauge steel and there is no flex to it at all when you step on it,even on the back one

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I am thinking of doing something similar to my TG sliders. I was thinking of getting brite tread aluminum sheeting. make a cardboard template and then cut them out of the aluminum. (or have it cut). Then with carriage bolts or ubolts of some kind I could affix them by anchoring them to the cross pieces.....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i laid the steel right over the sliders and made marks with a sharpie, then cut it off with a cut off wheel. Then I put it back down and checked the sizing and just ground it down with a bench grinder. Luckily the other side was identical so I just had to trace the first pieces over it and do the same

1 - 10 of 10 Posts