Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well heres the story. I have had 35s on my FJ since the first week I owned it and with the addition of several ARB accesories I've notice a dramatic drop in MPGs. I came accross a set of 07 Tacoma wheels with 265/75/16 toyo MTRs and figured I would give them a try before taking off the roof rack to try and get about 200 miles on a tank of gas. I painted the wheels black and they acctually look nice...just small:mecry:. I couldn't find any pics out there of the Tacoma wheels black on a FJ so I thought I would post up a few pics. Hope you like em!

Before with 35s

31s on 16" Tacoma wheels

·
Registered
614 Posts
They Do look nice man:rocker:
I have the TRD 16"s That's why - one reason, I went w/the tall & skinny so to make
the tire look taller.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Are you running the 265s as just a street set?
You'd probably get even ~2mpg better with stock hwy tires as opposed to the MTRs as well. And you can get them cheap from people on here looking to sell.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mine are not for sale. Today is the last day of deer season so my stock tires are going back on this week. Ive been getting 16 or 17 mpg with the 34" SS hoping for 20 with the stock tires and 100 lbs of rock rails and 100 lbs of recovery and misc gear.

Good looking in black by the way. Hope it helps some.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will keep the 35s for offroad or if I ever get a 80LC I wanna put them on that. I looked for quite a while to find a stock set here local on CL but everyone wants way too much money for them. Im hoping that I will see a fair increase for now since I had to park the Ruckus for awhile. If anything I won't be wasting the tread on just driving to work. Later on I do want to do some 255/85/16s though.

BTW how much did you get your 80 for Layonnn, if you don't mind me asking. I found one around here for 7 but its green and I don't think I want another payment. I'm about to pay my FJ off and it would be nice to have some extra money for awhile.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I will keep the 35s for offroad or if I ever get a 80LC I wanna put them on that. I looked for quite a while to find a stock set here local on CL but everyone wants way too much money for them. Im hoping that I will see a fair increase for now since I had to park the Ruckus for awhile. If anything I won't be wasting the tread on just driving to work. Later on I do want to do some 255/85/16s though.

BTW how much did you get your 80 for Layonnn, if you don't mind me asking. I found one around here for 7 but its green and I don't think I want another payment. I'm about to pay my FJ off and it would be nice to have some extra money for awhile.
Make sure you get one that has lockers and has been decently maintained.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Hey JDMi92, you did a real nice job painting them Taco rims and the Toyo's look real sweet! Even though they are no way as Big as a 35" tire in weight and size..They look Sahweet!

You gotta be saving some gas compared to the 35"s...and yes...less weight and wind resistance relates to better mileage. :rocker:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I gotta say your rig does look sweet with the 35's. The 31's do look good though with the Tacoma wheels.

How'd the tire size change affect your MPG's?

·
Registered
354 Posts
The Tacoma wheels look nice but the 35's look great! I can understand the need for better gas mileage, but I didn't buy my FJ for good gas mileage.......haha.

Either way, at least the wheels are black! I can't wait until I get my new Black Rock wheels and ditch my chrome bling-bling.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It will take me a few weeks to see if I'm saving much on gas, but I gotta say I feel almost embarrased to roll around on such small tires lol. I can tell the difference getting in and out as well as the view from inside while driving. I just keep telling myself to wait and see if the MPG go up and that I'm not wearing out my 35s! The 35s really do ride and drive better though. I'll keep ya guys posted!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts