Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am pretty far from having an overlander at this point since I just recently got my FJ, but I already wanted to have some sort of storage in the trunk. I looked at dozens of threads and images on Google for ideas.

He's my solution for now ... I just wanted a place to put my straps, hitches, and a few tools.

First, there's a odd angle in the back of the trunk area before the rear seats. Why Toyota couldn't make the seats so everything folds flat, I'll never know, but I wanted to maximize that space, so I slipped a piece of cardboard in there and traced the angle.

Then I started making a wood frame for the box. I think it was 42" wide if I remember right.

Since I'm not trying to "carry" anything, I just need it to hold stuff while sitting in the back of the truck I chose to use some pretty light and thin Luan to construct the bottom.

I used a 1/2 inch piece of ply for the lid and a piano hinge. I chose to only cover 2 of the 3 compartments I made b/c I wanted to one that was "quick access"

I found some black speaker box carpet on Amazon. It was like 31 bucks for a 4' x 14' section. I figured that was way more than enough.

I started by removing the lid and wrapping that first. I spray mounted (3M) the wood and the back of the fabric and used a staple gun to attach the fabric.

This is as far as I got b/c we had dinner plans. Sorry to leave you guys hanging like that, but I'll finish it up and show you some pics. So far, I'm happy with how it's turning out.

·
Desert Moderator
6,084 Posts
Looking good so far - Can't wait to see the rest!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking good and nice to see you’ve ‘ accommodated’ the ‘hump’
Thanks! And yeah, incorporating the hump was the hardest part about the project. Lucky for me, I have some background in woodworking.

and it doesn't have a "trunk". ;)

Creative and whatever works for you & your needs. :cheers: Are you going to latch top?
I guess you're right, not really a trunk, more of a cargo area.:unsure: Can I claim that this is the 1st SUV I've ever owned - always had pickups before this.

I haven't decided whether I'm going to add a latch or not. I built something kinda like for a Ranger I had years ago, I just had a handle on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't mean to leave you guys hanging so long. Life got busy. Here's how it ended up.

I made sure it wasn't so deep that it would interfere with the storage door for the jack tools.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, here's Part 2 to my rear cargo storage project. After seeing some of the products Orange Boxx is manufacturing I got inspired to make something myself for the left side area above the rear wheel.

Did quite a bit of measuring and then drew up a file in CAD. Then used our laser cutter at work to create this:

Removed the rounded rectangles.

I set the laser cut to basically just cut through the paper covering on the "FJ" logo so I could paint it.

Unfortunately, our laser cutter only has a 24" bed, and this thing is like 32" or something, so I had to break it into 2 sections. I wasn't very happy about that. I had to splice it together on the back side. I also test fit the rear section.

Here it is after being sectioned together.

Pulled the masking off after the paint was dry.

I used aluminum angle bar I bought at Home Depot to assemble and attach it to the FJ.

I used 6-32 bolts/nuts to assemble and self taping sheet metal screws to fasten it to the plastic body panels on the inside of the FJ. I only drilled 6 small holes in the FJ to hold it in place, so if I wanted to remove it, it wouldn't be unsightly.

All mounted up and done.

Umbrella and a blanket so far - pretty hardcore stuff.

If this thing breaks at the joint, I'd like to try and find a local company with a larger bed and send them my CAD file to cut it out. We'll see how it holds up. I like it though. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts