Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been lurking here a bit, but I thought I'd give back a little with this post.

I obviously owe a lot to Storn for inspiration on this setup. I would have loved to go with his system, but I'm a Cheap Bastard, and I just couldn't justify the $400+ for something I'd only use to throw my surfboards on.

Without further ado:

I figured there was another option other than the landing pads and control towers Storn uses, and I found that in yakima "Rail riders". They are designed to secure onto the slot on a factory roof rack rail. It was a pretty simple matter to drill some appropriately sized holes in some 20mm x 10mm square tubing:

Then just mount those on the roof with rubber washers from Lowes beneath, screw down the pads, and away I go! The most difficult part was teasing the backing plates in to the right locations to get the yakima screws into them once the mounting thingy was bolted down.

Other cheapiness, used electrical conduit for my cross bars, "furniture end caps" for my end caps, and pipe insulation for my padding, all from Lowes.

Total cost with used rail riders from ebay and metric square tubing shipped from the UK, somewhere in the neighborhood of $90. :rocker:

Edit: I just tallied up my reciepts, and total actual cost was $78.62! :rocker::rocker::rocker:

Next up: My Cheap Bastard Strapthangs!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Cheap-Bastard surfboard straps

Ok, on to the Cheap Bastard straps! Sorry about the delay (if there was anyone on the edge of their seat waiting to see these), but I had to find a sewing machine which could handle webbing. And find one I did! Made of solid metal in the late 50's, all it needed was some rewiring and it was good to go! Of course, it 's pink... But beggars can't be choosers, I guess!

So, the straps! They consist of two heavy duty black rubber bungees joined by a short length of poly webbing material. On either end are cam-style strap buckles and a ring to fit over the end of the "Lackima" bars. Get it? Lackima? Because I lack money and... Sorry, that was beneath even me.

They are secured to the center of the bar with a stainless hose clamp, with one bungee assembly leading in either direction, allowing boards to be mounted on both sides of the rack. The bungee/strap/buckle goes over the top of the board, then the ring fits over the end of the bar. The free end of the webbing is pulled snug, and Bob's your uncle!

Total cost of this was more than it could have been, due mainly to paying shipping on the parts for one setup and buying an old sewing machine. I think I'm into this for around $40, not including sewing machine (since I'll probably use that for other projects). Still less than a "StrapThang", and will hold twice as many boards. Plus, having used this kind of strap on two other racks, including on 2000+ mile road trips to Mexico, I'm completely confident in the security provided by those heavy bungees.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Very nice writeup.
Gives me some ideas. I got my FJ a bit over a month ago and haven't had a chance to think of a good way carry my boards yet.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
:werd:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts