Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I've seen some people "polish" ceramic coating with steel wool. It looks better than non-polished, but still looks dull. The ones I have were vibratory polished in a big tumbler and they look like chrome. I was just wondering how jet hot does it, and it sounds like a vibratory polisher.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This being said that is why we have a limited LIFETIME warranty on our headers and coating. Nobody else even offers that.

Thanks
Nick[/QUOTE]
------------------------------------------------------------------

I called JBA and asked them about their warranty. They said they have one of the best warrantys. LIFETIME re-coats NO matter what happens on JBA headers. They also had a limited LIFETIME warranty on their headers so they makes me feel better about my Ceramic JBA's.

DW

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
OK. I got some pictures of the NEW headers back from my ceramic coater. He said the job on the outside was pretty good. He said the inside was lacking, however. After seeing my rusty header pictures, he had to say:

Chris said:
Here are a few pictures. The RED lines I added are around the spots the ceramic
spray stopped. No Ceramic Coating is inside the headers beyond those spots. The spray pattern of the gun is all that got inside the tubing. In one of them you can see rust forming already.

When you pull off your old headrs, look at the inside. Just looking at how these new headers were coated, Im pretty confident that what i was telling you is going on.

Not getting the inside coated good is letting heat soak into the metal at the primaries, and collectors (The hottest points of the headers) letting the ceramic breakdown and blister. One this happens you get a bubble for the rust to form.
With that said, here are the pictures he took. The red lines are kind of faint, but you can see them if you look close.

·
Registered
876 Posts
As a mfg sub-contractor for many exhaust mfrs, it was my understanding that ceramic coating is applied to the inside of headers, pipes and such - to protect against corrosion and increase efficiency in the exhaust system. Perhaps not the case - maybe unsure?

ie: Pypes Performance Exhaust - Ceramic Coated Exhaust Systems

This being the case, your header flanges (which seem to be what is rusting) appear to be bare steel, perhaps with some type of coating such as zinc or cad, but certainly not "rust proof," nor were they ever meant to be, unless they are advertised as an "all stainless" system.

Be careful in your understanding of what was supposed to be in case you are denied in your warranty claim.

A.W.D.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Hey Racer, Your buddy did a good job...very nice. So it goes to show you that if the headers are not coated inside as well as the outside then buying the headers with just the outside coated is a waste of money. Now you can sleep at night knowing that your headers aren't rusting away while you sleep...;) Roma

·
Registered
93 Posts
This being said that is why we have a limited LIFETIME warranty on our headers and coating. Nobody else even offers that.

Thanks
Nick
------------------------------------------------------------------

I called JBA and asked them about their warranty. They said they have one of the best warrantys. LIFETIME re-coats NO matter what happens on JBA headers. They also had a limited LIFETIME warranty on their headers so they makes me feel better about my Ceramic JBA's.

DW[/QUOTE]

JBa's warranty is as follows

::JBA LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

Failure of any JBA product while on the originally installed vehicle, will entitle the original purchaser to repair, replacement, or pro rate credit according to the following terms: Up to 2 years from the date of purchase AEP will repair or replace at its option. After 2 years AEP will allow credit of 50% of the current list price

That is a prorated warranty straight from their website. Lifetime recoat with a 50% charge. We do not have any sort of proration.

Did anybody else notice how corroded the rest of the engine and valve covers were in the pictures? It looks like it was driven through the ocean a few times.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
Oh sweet, now the manufacturer is pointing fingers huh? I see where this is going.

This is my engine bay early december.

Just because my engine bay is dirty from offroading and daily use does not mean its corroded. Come on, Nick. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Did anybody else notice how corroded the rest of the engine and valve covers were in the pictures? It looks like it was driven through the ocean a few times.

i'm glad to see that you're at least making an attempt to address this situation, its more than most manufacturers would do, but frankly, it wouldnt matter if he parked at low tide every day and let the surf come in, your headders arent supposed to rust when they've been coated. i think rather than point fingers here it might be a good idea to reexamine your coating proccess. i understand the theory behind it being "ok to not coat the inside" but the reality dosent support that. the fact is that water vapor condences inside exhaust tubes. as has become apparent in practice, the insides of these headders either from the factory packaging or from the typical use they are placed in they begin to rust from the inside- in racers case even before they were installed. this really an opportunity to get some feedback and be proacitve in your manufacturing proccess! i work in extremely specialized manufacturing and i realize what somthing like this would represent to our clients. in my opinion (as a potential client mind you) this sort of thing is really worth the extra effort to get a proper coat on the entire headder, inside and out. this debacle dosent turn me off from your product, because as with all effective products, trial and error refine them to make them the best among the competition. handled correctly this would be evidence to me as well as all who read this forum that Doug Thorley headders exceed the competition in performance and at least meet them in durability. nobody should have to stick their warranty in the air for defense against a repetitive defect. thats jsut not smart buisness. i know, far be it from me to tell you guys how to do your buisness, just my .02

·
Registered
450 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Here are some updated pics. These are after getting my new headers recoated. They have yet to be polished. You can see that the ceramic coat goes through the whole header now, not just a couple inches like before.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Looks good Racer, You're lucky that you have such a friend that can do that kind of job for you... you'll never get that kind of extensive complete coating from any header manufacture.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Well I finally got some time set aside to swap out my headers today. You can tell the original headers look pretty beat up. The once shiny finish has turned to a dull grey. This leads me to believe that the headers were not vibratory polished as I was told they were. Also, you can see the primary flange...the part that meets the gasket on the head itself is rusty. I'm not sure how the INSIDE flange turning rusty can be blamed on "salt corrosion". But, here is some proof of the poor coating. I also included some pictures of my new headers installed. They look better than my original set did when they were new.

Old:

New:

My bad headers should arrive back at Thorleys on Tuesday. Hopefully I don't have to wait for my refund like I had to wait for my replacement set of headers.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
From reading this thread;
  1. I will never buy anything that has Doug Thorley's name on it
  2. Doug Thorley has a poor practice of charging for a second item being covered under warranty, then refunding the money once the item being replaced is returned - Extremely bad form, particularly when there is a document trail that shows original purchase.....and they didn't address this issue when they bothered to respond in this forum. Their response here was a sad and poorly executed attempt to maintain an FJ community customer base by saying they were doing the right thing and talking about their wonderful warranty.
  3. Doug Thorley representatives that attempt to finger the owner for probable culpability by saying trying to point out the engine bay looked dirty is possibly the most unprofessional thing I've seen out of an ostensibly reputable company in the past decade.
    WEAK, WEAK, WEAK.
  4. Did I mention somewhere I would never buy a Doug Thorley product?
  5. Oh yeah. That engine bay is immaculate compared to most I've seen.
  6. The fact that the second set was as screwed up as the first is a perfect indication that this company has zero quality control.
  7. The company should pay for the cost of recoating the headers and your time to make it happen on the second set.
Very sorry for all your issues.

I don't agree that DT has stepped up to the plate to take care of this situation. See items 1-6 above.

41 - 60 of 143 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.