Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had some question about this setup from another thread and Bandi mentioned something about an electric transfer pump so I made a few improvements. Here is the final product. (almost but I'll explain that in a minute)

The tank is a 12 gallon Moeller "topside" marine tank. I added a marine grade Holley "Red Label" pump. I bought a 12 amp hour sealed lead acid battery and now waiting on a 6 ft "coiled cord" to complete the switch/power suplly. I simply plug it in, turn on the switch and watch it go. I tested it today with a temp wiring setup and it moved the entire 12 gallons in about 10 minutes.

I've had the tank on the truck for a couple of weeks and have done some offroading just to check the ride and have had zero issues with it. I'll take it off and store the whole setup away when I am not planning on long trips like the one I have coming up in June.

I simply store the transfer hose in double bagged 1 gallon zip lock bags in a molle pouch on the door. I keep a short section that I plugged with silicone on the outlet to keep any dirt out. You may notice the double valves and I did that just in case of a pump failure then I can resvert back to the old siphon method.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice set up. Next we'll see it in a basket that you'll simply mount/dismount. Looking forward to hearing about the trip....

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the idea, once concern though. Most of the trails I go on have low branches, any concern about getting the hose or wiring caught?
Not too much for me. Everywhere that I go is desert trails. The wiring is just a small pigtail that I tuck down by the pump so it really isn't vulnerable. The hose, I suppose but it is clamped on pretty tight. I think you'd more likely to bang the tank first.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
..... Worked quick and easy just not terribly aerodynamic.
I haven't noticed any change in mileage or noise with the tank up there. I was really worried that it would howl and roar at highway speeds but honestly I haven't noticed any difference.

I even purchased some dynamat in anticipation of added noise, but haven't installed it yet. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Question, is the hose you're using made for gas, suggestion, use a plastic zip tie around the ratchet handle and strap...just in case.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I have been wondering about this kind of setup for the expedition trailer I'm designing instead of mounting standard Jerry cans. I like the pump concept. Hmmmm...

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
^^ I just pressurize the tank with my co2 to start the syphon. Not that I dislike the pump, I just already had the co2 set up. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Question, is the hose you're using made for gas, suggestion, use a plastic zip tie around the ratchet handle and strap...just in case.
The hose is from Home Depot and is a double layer with the woven fabric in between the two layers. I have used it for gas in other applications, but speak as to whether it is labeled as to be for gasoline.

Good idea on the zip ties!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have been wondering about this kind of setup for the expedition trailer I'm designing instead of mounting standard Jerry cans. I like the pump concept. Hmmmm...
My winter project is an expedition trailer and I thought of mounting two of these on it. I want to add a Honda generator to the trailer and was thinking of feeding it from one of the tanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts