Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, to make a long story short I recently got a new Demello skid plate. Jack at Demello installed it for me and had to drill out and tap the holes for bigger bolts.

I recently had to take my truck in for an oil change and to have my axle seals on the front diff replaced as they were leaking. I got the truck back yesterday and went immediatly to the exhaust shop to put my new Y-pipe on. While I was under there I noticed one of the front bolts for the skid was put in at an almost 45 degree angle. I then checked the other bolts. Some are completely stripped out and others seem fine.

Now here is the big problem, I have a very very good relationship with my service guy and the dealership. My service guy goes out of his way to help me out and is really a good guy. I dont want to call him up and tell him his mechanics screwed up my truck and have them fix it. I even talked to the mechanic that worked on the truck and he was a cool guy.

Ack, so what should I do?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Call em up and get the mechanic that did the labor. Talk to him about your situation. If he can't solve it to your satisfaction then move up to your guy. Just because you like someone and they are a good guy doesn't mean they should get away with less than acceptable work. A bit of a stretch, but its like me going into the hospital with a fractured arm and the doctor gives me a compound fracture and sends me home. Should I just let it slide because he was a very amicable fellow?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Man 'A' that blows. Did they replace the seals for free? Or did they say that you had the suspension to high?

As for your question, kill them with kindness. Hopefully they will fix the problem. That blows. I hope it gets resolved the right way for you. If it doesn't work out, talk with the service adviser, and if that doesn't work you need to ask them to take this higher up the Toyota chain.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Sorry about the dealer screw up.I hate the dealer personally.They sometimes dont pay attention to WTF they are doing.I got band from Universal City Nissan for talking ish to a mechanic that wacked my front bumper on my 350z I had B4 the FJC .Cant wait till my warranty on my FJC expires so i never have to go back to the dealer again.:flame:

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man 'A' that blows. Did they replace the seals for free? Or did they say that you had the suspension to high?

As for your question, kill them with kindness. Hopefully they will fix the problem. That blows. I hope it gets resolved the right way for you. If it doesn't work out, talk with the service adviser, and if that doesn't work you need to ask them to take this higher up the Toyota chain.
They replaced the seals for free. When I talked to the mechanic I asked him about what else I needed to do for my 30K service... To make it short, he greased my drive shaft and U joints for free and made sure everything was ok under the truck. And they did my oil change (with my oil and filter I brought) for $15...

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Be nice and ask the mechanic if someone else put the skid plate on. He'll say "no, why?" and then you can show him. He'll make it right.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Be nice and ask the mechanic if someone else put the skid plate on. He'll say "no, why?" and then you can show him. He'll make it right.

DEWFPO
I see... That is a good idea, I might have to stop by tomorrow and do that..

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Man that just sux. I would take it up the guy in charge owner/manager. Start at the top and work your way down. Dealing with the little guy may not get you very far. Just my pass experience.

·
Registered
641 Posts

DEWFPO
X2, and next time, take the after market stuff off yourself (if you suspect it will get in the way) before the dealer's mechanics get to it. sorry to hear about this.
AND,
good to see you back Mud, we missed you...:)

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Well, to make a long story short I recently got a new Demello skid plate. Jack at Demello installed it for me and had to drill out and tap the holes for bigger bolts.

I recently had to take my truck in for an oil change and to have my axle seals on the front diff replaced as they were leaking. I got the truck back yesterday and went immediatly to the exhaust shop to put my new Y-pipe on. While I was under there I noticed one of the front bolts for the skid was put in at an almost 45 degree angle. I then checked the other bolts. Some are completely stripped out and others seem fine.

Now here is the big problem, I have a very very good relationship with my service guy and the dealership. My service guy goes out of his way to help me out and is really a good guy. I dont want to call him up and tell him his mechanics screwed up my truck and have them fix it. I even talked to the mechanic that worked on the truck and he was a cool guy.

Ack, so what should I do?
Those factory holes strip easy anyways. When you have some time come by and use our 3/8in tap to make those holes except a 3/8in bolt.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Sorry to read this Mud.
I have a GREAT relationship with my BMW motorcycle dealer. They have one guy I don't want touching,poking or even looking at my bike. I have made this clear(In the coolest way I could)to the service manager. I STILL have a GREAT relationship with my BMW motorcycle dealership!
So what the heck you saying Wrigman? You may ask?
Let them know in a cool way they screwed up. If they are a good dealership they'll understand your side of things.
Hope it works out well for ya!:)

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
X2, and next time, take the after market stuff off yourself (if you suspect it will get in the way) before the dealer's mechanics get to it. sorry to hear about this.
AND,
good to see you back Mud, we missed you...:)
I usually take anything aftermarket off if it will get in the way, but I really trust this dealership and figured undoing and redoing 6 bolts shouldnt be too hard... I guessed wrong :(

and thanks Marty, I am glad to be back :)

Those factory holes strip easy anyways. When you have some time come by and use our 3/8in tap to make those holes except a 3/8in bolt.
LOL, when I had you guys put my skid on Jack tapped the holes up to the 3/8 size cause he was having issues getting the smaller factory size bolts in. now those 3/8 bolts are screwed... ugh

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
You should let them know-both of them. Be courteous and friendly. Stay calm and they'll take care of you. Go frantic or accusatory and no one will be happy.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
go to the service writer, he should have the chance to make it right for you, im sure tech didnt tell him about bolts he screwed up

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I would certainly take it back and have them make it right. Whether you like the guy and think he is cool has nothing to do with the level of proffesionalism they exhibit in their work. Any back yard mechanic with half a brain knows that a bolt going in at a 45 degree angle is wrong, no escaping that. The guy that did it either knows it is wrong or is better suited to sweepinig the floor. In either case you dont want him wrenching on your rig again.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
This seems to be the best plan. They'll redo everything properly for you and the next time you have to go back to the dealer for service, just point out the "new larger" bolts should make it easier to work on.. Ron

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I will stop by the dealership in the next few days or on monday and I will keep you all posted.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts