Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so at the end of april brings the end of the college semester and I was wondering if we could get a big run together in mid april for my last colorado run...probably ever until I can move out here, if I ever can...anyways the off road club at cu will still be around most likely go back underground but I'll try and pick out a new kid to be in charge...so just my idea if anyones up for something like this :cheers:
......UPDATE citing (ocr14a)

Trail: Lefthand Canyon
Meeting location: Boulder Home Depot
Meeting time: 9:00

IN
RobPolak
OCR14a
08BigWhitey
Madman#1
FJC Boulder
olygold
wegotg
KJ2FJ

MAYBE
codymurfy
DenverFJ2010
FJ Carlos
Offroad94
Ravens_Edge
The Badge
Jesster
tisilverFJ

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
You know I'm in.
What are you thinking of doing?

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know I'd like to do something awesome, something like caribou creek was with creek crossings and just like wow

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Well, I can tell you this, awesome is going to be hard to come by in mid-April, but we will do what we can.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
thats what sucks about our area, we have some of the best trails in the country but the good ones usually aren't passable till late summer. there are a few challenging ones that u can hit up. half moon creek would be great for what you are looking for but is way up there in the snow i think

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would be up for a Mid-April Run...would love to meet some of the Forum FJ'ers

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm up for it as long as we can set a date up in advance to get some time off for those days. I'm amusing we are looking at a Saturday and Sunday thing?

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Most likely just one or the other, but ya, I think it would be Sat. or Sun.

Rob,
how close or far away do you want to go for this one?

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Madman and I think Lefthand would be a good one for this.

·
Registered
504 Posts
sounds like a good time. so long as im not on shift ill try to make this one

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry to hear your leaving, as far as the run is concerned if it was a saturday and you set a date soon I should be able to make it. Now about where, in my opinion Lefthand was'nt to bad for me as a stocker but that was a few years ago so much could of changed since then. Like always though I could care less what it is, I just wanna PLAY!

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
How difficult would lefthand be for a stock fj?
....my little book says difficult, I don't know if I'd wana bang up the truck on its last run...
...in my opinion Lefthand was'nt to bad for me as a stocker...
Same here. Here's my page for our run there last year. Of course, I didn't actually do the main obstacle that day, but that's OK if anyone ends up doing the same.

At that time, I did have a good skid plate under there and bigger tires, but still wasn't lifted yet. After watching everyone else get through, I know I could have done it, but I just didn't want to take the extra time to have me spotted through carefully (which is my requirement for my Sandi).

As it turned out, the guys that went through the obstacle ended up coming back because of the deep snow up there around a ways. This time, I assume we won't meet up with that if we do go to Lefthand.

If we do that trail, and if some decide to skip the main obstacle, there is a bypass. The bypass is usually passable, but last year, it was really dug out from run-off.

This time, if the bypass is impassable, we can all just meet up where the other guys end up after continuing on around the loop. To make sure we do it right, I will go there first some day leading up to it, check on things and make sure to have the place identified and we will make sure, on that day that we do the trail, that everyone knows where we're meeting back up.

As for the rest of the trail, I won't say that it's all absolutely easy, but it certainly is doable.

On some trails, it's pretty much a given that you will knock on something along the way, and just have to be OK with a few dings and scratches to the tough metal underneath.

On this particular trail though, whether or not you get damage depends completely on your trail driving style. If you're sloppy and constantly gunning it to bash through tougher spots, you will get scratched, but if you take it easy, plan out your routes carefully and use a spotter whenever necessary, you can get through without any problems (not that a scratch on underside metal is even a real problem anyway, but I totally get it that some guys just don't even want that level of ground contact....I don't either for the most part, and avoid it as much as possible).

Are any of those open yet?
I recently checked the forest service pages for Boulder and for other ranger districts in the area, and most trails are still closed. ....not sure if all of those are ones that get closed, but West Magnolia sure does. Oh, and if it's still slippery, I'm assuming you wouldn't want to do that one anyway :lol:

I have the 16th off so im game if you go that weekend
I think that Sat. works for me too.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
1 - 20 of 154 Posts