Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, needless to say I'm ecstatic to be coming to the Summit this year. A good friend of mine and my pops are planning on making it as well. I havent registered or anything yet, but I've marked the calendar.

By the time Summit rolls by, I will (should) have an OME lift, with some 285 Firestone M/T's and Demello sliders installed. I really want some trails that are challenging- not hardcore trails, but not just dirt roads either... I have read the descriptions and they don't help me much... any recommendations? 4-LO is my friend. :bigthumb:

Second, my dad really wants to camp, but I'm thinking of a hotel maybe. Which one is preferred and are there any campgrounds where a lot of FJ'ers will be?

Thanks for all the help, I'll see you all in July! :wave:

·
Registered
504 Posts
you can do every trail on the list with a stock rig, that said, Engineer, which is part of the Alpine Loop has its tough spots and Black Bear can have you sweating bullets. every trail is extremely enjoyable in my own opinion and all have wonderful photo opportunities. as for camping there is a campground in Ouray and that's probably where i will be. Ouray is small so everywhere is kinda an FJ hangout

·
Registered
906 Posts
Imogine is fun and there are places where you can challenge yourself more if needed near the top (ask Air to Air). The KOA is right down the street and there is another campgroud right in town. Black bear while pucker you up and Ophir is a waste of time.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Greetings, needless to say I'm ecstatic to be coming to the Summit this year. A good friend of mine and my pops are planning on making it as well. I havent registered or anything yet, but I've marked the calendar.

By the time Summit rolls by, I will (should) have an OME lift, with some 285 Firestone M/T's and Demello sliders installed. I really want some trails that are challenging- not hardcore trails, but not just dirt roads either... I have read the descriptions and they don't help me much... any recommendations? 4-LO is my friend. :bigthumb:

Second, my dad really wants to camp, but I'm thinking of a hotel maybe. Which one is preferred and are there any campgrounds where a lot of FJ'ers will be?

Thanks for all the help, I'll see you all in July! :wave:
Glad to hear you will be joining us.

Yes the start of California and Alpine loop trails offered will start on Engineer. A few spots where people sometimes have to try more than once to get up a step. Imogene is my fav. Again a couple of places that needs a bit of technique.

As said there is a KOA just north of town. Also the 4J+1+1 only like 4 blocks from the Best western where the stuff happens. Or there's a campground that I think is Forest service, the Amphitheater I think it is called.

I can find some links for you if you want to go the camping route.

·
Sockless Superstar
11,826 Posts
On just about every trail you can find a challenge if you look. If you want to just drive along in an easy fasion you can do that as well. Even the "easy" trails can give a bit of a pucker factor due to sheer height. Alpine loop is an "easy" trail, but while climbing you get a definite feeling of high anxiety as the drop off to the side is death. :worried:

Camping will be awesome, especially if you are at Ampitheater and have a view of town. For me, I like to take a hot shower after being on the trail all day and before heading into town for beers and dinner. While I love to camp, when I am doing some other activity that takes time (fishing, off-roading etc) I like the luxury of a hotel room. To me, camping should be about camping and enjoying the camp, not as a cheaper way to sleep. Just my .02

·
Registered
838 Posts
we went last year and while the trails are not real "challenging" they do offer their own pucker factor,even for a dirt trail. we preferred the motel stay with hot showers and better sleeping, taking into account that the days are long and the air is thin. this year decided on a condo and we are sharing we friends that we met last year, either way you will have an experience that you will not forget and make friends for life there. it is truly a great time and allot of fun

·
Registered
146 Posts
Check out the Amphitheater..."rustic" camping as they say with an amazing setting. After some time on the trails you can head into town and relax in the hot springs & pool (they have showers in the community center located at the hot springs so it works out great...then off to a great dinner and evening down the street!) :bigthumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts