Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as how I am being not only careful, but also informed about my upcoming purchase of an FJ I decided that I should test drive one. Boy, am I glad I did.

The saleswoman knew ahead of time that I was only there for a test drive and wouldn't be purchasing for about another 1-2 months and that I was only making sure that I was well informed about the FJ before I plopped down the scratch to buy one.

She asked what options I was looking for and pulled around an FJ that fit what I wanted (except for color, but I gave her a pass on that). The build up was...

4x4 AT
Roof Rack
Upgrade Package
Convenience Package
Carpeted Floor Mats and Cargo Mat (the only option that I didn't ask for)
Step Rails

She then guided me on an "Urban Expedition" as she called it, lol. It was as short sprint down the interstate so I could get a feel for the FJ handled under heavy acceleration to get into 70mph to merge with traffic, and also so that I could really get a feel for how the blind spots where in heavy traffic.

We then, hopped off to a road that hadn't been paved or had pot holes repaired in years it looked. She told me to hit every pot hole, rough patch of road, and to gun it over a Rail Road crossing. She said that this was she wanted me to see that not only was the FJ able to handle Mother Nature, but that is was more than equipped to handle Uncle City.

Last but not least she put me through a few hard turn arounds to show that not only was the FJ a beast on the road, but it was also fairly nimble when it comes to tight space city driving.

I will say I was more than impressed with this. I had some pretty well set notions of what an offroad SUV would handle like in an urban setting and the FJ destroyed those ill conceived notions. Granted, it doesn't handle like a sports care, but if it didn't I wouldn't be buying an FJ I'd be buying a Lambo or other overpriced road car.

The test drive cemented the fact that the FJ was the car for me and that it would be more than able to stand up to whatever driving conditions I may face, be it on dry pavement or hitting some back woods action to get to the "prime hunting spots."

Of course I know I preaching to the choir here, but hey we're all here because of the FJ right?

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
I'm here for the chicks.

The test drive is what sold me on the FJ as well.

Welcome!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Sounds like you got a knowledgeable sales person and a good idea about what it is like to own an FJ. Now all you have to do is pick a color :bigthumb:

Welcome to the forum, you'll love it here.

Doc

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Sounds like you got a knowledgeable sales person and a good idea about what it is like to own an FJ. Now all you have to do is pick a color :bigthumb:

Welcome to the forum, you'll love it here.

Doc
X2 on the knowledgeable salesperson. It's very rare to get that in regards to the FJ.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Yep, aside from the chicks:rofl: (haven't seen of those yet), the test drive is what sold me. I went back to test drive a truck .....:rofl::rofl: FJ won!!

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
I got to take my FJ on the test drive alone. It was one of the first ones here, people were really looking at it as I cruised thru town.

The sales girl was cute and wearing a very low cut top, kept leaning over when she talked to me. :hitit:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,223 Posts
Welcome!

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
welcome

·
fka rsidey
949 Posts
Well that's good to know that there are a few salesmen out there who know a few things about the FJ. When I got mine I knew a helluva lot more about them than any of the folks at the dealerships.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Well that's good to know that there are a few salesmen out there who know a few things about the FJ. When I got mine I knew a helluva lot more about them than any of the folks at the dealerships.
Ditto. Mine would tell me something and I would come back with "Well actually ....."

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I have wanted an Fj since they came out. I finally went to a dealer last May with the intention of testing out a Tacoma and an FJ. The Tacoma was ok, but once I drove the FJ there was no comparison. I drove the FJ home, a 2012 Calvary Blue. I brought it in for the first service a couple of weeks ago and saw the new Cement Gray TT edition. Now I own that one instead.
There is nothing like them. I hope to make it to one of the big FJ gatherings so I can talk with experienced owners and pick their brains.

·
Admin
7,119 Posts
I have wanted an Fj since they came out. I finally went to a dealer last May with the intention of testing out a Tacoma and an FJ. The Tacoma was ok, but once I drove the FJ there was no comparison. I drove the FJ home, a 2012 Calvary Blue. I brought it in for the first service a couple of weeks ago and saw the new Cement Gray TT edition. Now I own that one instead.
There is nothing like them. I hope to make it to one of the big FJ gatherings so I can talk with experienced owners and pick their brains.
:cheers:
The cement TT is a very nice one!

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
My test drive was in the rain so I got to see how the fj would handle in bad weather right away!!! Happy fj hunting

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
Of course I know I preaching to the choir here, but hey we're all here because of the FJ right?
I'm here because I moved to Denver to be near the mountains, and my '99 Wrangler was a piece of junk.

Although I must say that the city girls I tend to date are far more comfortable in the FJ than they would be in an FJ40. The FJ cleans up nice.

I sure do miss my half doors and soft top though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts