Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In exactly 2 weeks my Vooodoo baby gets loaded onto a ship and heads to Germany. Today it's in the shop for its last American service. I bought extra filters, wiper blades, and touch up paint... and they are installing Jason's sliders (OUCH on the cost -- but my hubby won't help me!). I canceled the stupid extended warranty.

Besides inspecting for engine bay bulges, what else do I need to do??

It's been a while since I've posted.... miss you guys! thanks for any last minute advice! :)

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
For ocean part of your trip I would place desiccant bags all over the inside of the interior and in the upper reaches of the engine bay.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can I get you to throw an ARB bumper set and roof rack in the back of your FJ for the trip over here? Shipping big things is a bit of a challenge. Not to worry on supplies, if you are APO, you can get most items shipped easily, except for the big stuff, and Toyota dealers are all over here. Not a lot of trails in Germany, but it is fun to drive. Found a few places that are for 4x4. There are some trans-alps trips that sound fun that I am trying late this summer. Maybe I'll see you over here soon.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Touch Up paint was defiantly a good idea. I wish I would have thought of that. The local dealership told me it take months to get it in. I just had a friend from the states send me some. Simple items like recovery straps are difficult to find here. I have not seen one off-road type store. Maybe I just don't know the right place to look. What part of Germany are you headed to?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
In exactly 2 weeks my Vooodoo baby gets loaded onto a ship and heads to Germany. Today it's in the shop for its last American service. I bought extra filters, wiper blades, and touch up paint... and they are installing Jason's sliders (OUCH on the cost -- but my hubby won't help me!). I canceled the stupid extended warranty.

Besides inspecting for engine bay bulges, what else do I need to do??

It's been a while since I've posted.... miss you guys! thanks for any last minute advice! :)
Not sure about heading east, but when I shipped my Jeep to Hawaii someone stole my tire cover and spare tire. Of course the Navy reimbursed me, but what a PITA! Also...I found some of that white film the manufacturers put on new vehicles and covered the hood from liquids that could possibly drop on it while in transit. As it turns out there was a large blob of oil on the film when it got to Hawaii.

Tim

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can I get you to throw an ARB bumper set and roof rack in the back of your FJ for the trip over here? Shipping big things is a bit of a challenge. Not to worry on supplies, if you are APO, you can get most items shipped easily, except for the big stuff, and Toyota dealers are all over here. Not a lot of trails in Germany, but it is fun to drive. Found a few places that are for 4x4. There are some trans-alps trips that sound fun that I am trying late this summer. Maybe I'll see you over here soon.
They are saying that I can't fill up the FJ with anything! I can't even leave the Thule roof box on it (nor the bike rack). I will be up in Hamburg.... far north of you military folks. It's a 2 year gig, so I'll probably sell the FJ over there and buy a new one when I get back. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did not put anything on my interior or do anything special to mine before it shipped. All I did was put a fresh coat of wax on it. Mine made it across the pond ok.....maybe I got lucky.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Touch Up paint was defiantly a good idea. I wish I would have thought of that. The local dealership told me it take months to get it in. I just had a friend from the states send me some. Simple items like recovery straps are difficult to find here. I have not seen one off-road type store. Maybe I just don't know the right place to look. What part of Germany are you headed to?
Yeah, I've been buying all sorts of things that I figure will be tough to get there, or super expensive. We're going to Hamburg. I'm looking forward to checking out Scandinavia from there! FJords!

I needed the touch up paint because of a little mishap I had with my bike rack. :flame:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure about heading east, but when I shipped my Jeep to Hawaii someone stole my tire cover and spare tire. Of course the Navy reimbursed me, but what a PITA! Also...I found some of that white film the manufacturers put on new vehicles and covered the hood from liquids that could possibly drop on it while in transit. As it turns out there was a large blob of oil on the film when it got to Hawaii.

Tim
Yikes. I"m guessing a lot more than stuff off the FJ will get stolen from my cargo container.... :flame:

I'll see if they will wrap my car, but I don't have much say in the matter. The moving company comes to take it away... then I guess they drive it over to the container and do whatever they want. GULP

I *hate* moving, and this is a serious move from hell! *sigh*

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have not driven up north yet. I have been to Austria and Italy several time. I love the Alps. I am taking another big road trip this summer down to the beach in Italy. Road trips in Europe is Uber fun. The fuel is a little on the pricey side though.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have not driven up north yet. I have been to Austria and Italy several time. I love the Alps. I am taking another big road trip this summer down to the beach in Italy. Road trips in Europe is Uber fun. The fuel is a little on the pricey side though.
I MUCH prefer the south of Germany. The northerners are pretty stiff, and the scenery isn't nearly as nice. But this is where the work is.... So yes, we will be taking lots of road trips. I love the mountains. :) Like you, I love Italy. Been there several times and speak the language. The thought of visiting lots of countries over there is the only thing keeping me going right now!

Hey, does anyone have any advice on how to alleviate a 3 year old's stress with packers here for 3 days taking all his stuff away? ;)

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Hey, does anyone have any advice on how to alleviate a 3 year old's stress with packers here for 3 days taking all his stuff away? ;)
Send him to Grandma's for a 3 day 'vacation', and get him back when it's time to get on the airplane. Distraction is the name of the game.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
May be not take it with you but some research of glass companies who are willing to ship you a windshield in case if you break it there.
ack, I forgot about the dreaded windshield. I asked service today what I should do when the engine bay starts bulging over there, and they just shrugged. I guess that's when I sell it to some uninformed German. ;)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I made it to Germany! just barely. Flying out the day after 3 days of professionals packing up your things was not a good idea. It was NOT my idea. It was sad to see my FJ hauled off in a flat bed to the container ship... I hope it survives the trip overseas (along with all my other stuff!). Meanwhile I am walking to the grocery store, etc. What a concept, huh? WALKING. :lol:

We are out in the boonies, so I've already spotted some offroad "trails". i.e. dirt roads. And they say there is no offroading in Germany... ha! ;)

Let's not talk about what idiots the packers were... OMG. Next time I will have a bike shop pack my expensive bicycles, ARGH!!

I miss my house & new garden already. sigh!

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
They are saying that I can't fill up the FJ with anything! I can't even leave the Thule roof box on it (nor the bike rack). I will be up in Hamburg.... far north of you military folks. It's a 2 year gig, so I'll probably sell the FJ over there and buy a new one when I get back. :)
To bad, I'd fill the container with cheap gas.

Yikes. I"m guessing a lot more than stuff off the FJ will get stolen from my cargo container.... :flame:

I'll see if they will wrap my car, but I don't have much say in the matter. The moving company comes to take it away... then I guess they drive it over to the container and do whatever they want. GULP

I *hate* moving, and this is a serious move from hell! *sigh*
If your FJ went into a container on its own. I would not worry about it. My container from Switzerland had 3 mini coopers and about 20k$ in parts plus all my household goods in it. Nothing was stolen. If something was stolen, it would be easy to track, since containers have a one time lock bolt. Meaning each time they get inspected, they must cut the bolt and replace with a new one. Each lock bolt has a serial and color making it easy to know which inspector or terminal had to open your container.
Now if your FJ went RoRo, then stuff will get stolen! RoRo is know for stuff disappearing. If I were ever to do RoRo, I'd even remove my stereo.

BTW: Glad your flight went well. Did you at least get to take your bags on the plane for free? Enjoy Europe, post up some pics.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts