Also thought you should know...

At least for a while. :grin
Does that mean I've gone viral? Ha!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Re: FJ Cruiser Job thread: Off-roading pics

Ha! I suppose I am infected with your awesome! And probably some jealousy.
It tends to happen when you mix off-roading, an FJ, and it's your job. Thanks again for following along. I have not done any driving this week except for when I took my own vehicle out the other day over the holiday. Next couple of weeks I will be driving a lot so I'll be sharing some more photos.

·
Registered
194 Posts

So what kind of gear are you taking with you? I see some recovery boards, hi-lift, shovel and extra fuel on the roof. Just curious what is inside the FJ as well. I know that area can get brutally cold at night in the winter so I'm assuming you have additional gear should you get stranded. Also, what do you use for communication? Phone, CB, Ham Radio, etc.

Also, not sure if this helps since you appear to be mapping county roads but here is a link to some of the off-road trails in the area. https://www.boaroffroad.com/utah-south-west

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)

Thanks for asking! So, we spend a lot of our time on BLM land in the lower elevations and by lower I mean 5-8K' feet. While it does get cold, sometimes our schedule requires us to camp depending on where we are currently working. We do not camp this time of year though. I assume your question is more along the lines of, what do you have in case of an emergency? In that case, we do have tools with us. We have an air compressor, ARB tire repair kit, ARB tire deflator kit, emergency flares, and a few other goodies that I can't quite remember. The best tool we have though is our ONE Spot. If we cannot get the vehicle out, get stranded due to complete mechanical failure, or straight up roll over or something of that nature and it's many miles and no cell reception, we hit the ONE Spot. That way we can alert we are in trouble, tells everyone exactly where we are, and get us home safely within a decent amount of time. We also have a large thing of water in the back and carry weather appropriate gear with us.

So what kind of gear are you taking with you? I see some recovery boards, hi-lift, shovel and extra fuel on the roof. Just curious what is inside the FJ as well. I know that area can get brutally cold at night in the winter so I'm assuming you have additional gear should you get stranded. Also, what do you use for communication? Phone, CB, Ham Radio, etc.

Also, not sure if this helps since you appear to be mapping county roads but here is a link to some of the off-road trails in the area. https://www.boaroffroad.com/utah-south-west

·
Registered
194 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I was curious because I often do single vehicle trips too and am always looking for similar type travelers to see what they pack. I'm sure you guys check the weather reports before you leave and I'm sure your coworkers have told you that that area can get some freak heavy snow storms. I've been in the area West of Cedar City when no snow was expected only to be dumped on.

FWIW, I take similar items that you have on the roof and I'm also pretty stocked for 5-6 days worth of potentially being stranded for whatever reason but cold nights bother me like no other and I don't like to camp in them, let alone be stranded in them. I am severely lacking in communication devices and really need to upgrade in that area. I've thought about getting a SPOT but the monthly subscription makes me hesitate.

Anyway, glad you are prepared, keep the photos coming.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

Thanks for the reply. I was curious because I often do single vehicle trips too and am always looking for similar type travelers to see what they pack. I'm sure you guys check the weather reports before you leave and I'm sure your coworkers have told you that that area can get some freak heavy snow storms. I've been in the area West of Cedar City when no snow was expected only to be dumped on.

FWIW, I take similar items that you have on the roof and I'm also pretty stocked for 5-6 days worth of potentially being stranded for whatever reason but cold nights bother me like no other and I don't like to camp in them, let alone be stranded in them. I am severely lacking in communication devices and really need to upgrade in that area. I've thought about getting a SPOT but the monthly subscription makes me hesitate.

Anyway, glad you are prepared, keep the photos coming.
Sporstmans warehouse had the One Spot on sale for 50% off a few weeks ago but not sure if it is now. You can pay up front for the annual membership and save a little money. It's a hundred dollars or so and could potentially save your life. Pretty good price to be able to get saved and home in time for dinner. :)

·
Registered
903 Posts

I had a SPOT, granted this was 5-6 years ago, but it was terrible. I would get home from a hike and review the GPS track and it would record maybe 5% of the path I took. These were trails on top of mountains in West Virginia in alpine meadows with no trees, so there was nothing to block the GPS reception. I used it for a year and never renewed the contract. I could send help signals but if it wasn't able to track my location it couldn't tell potential rescuers where I was.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts

Great thread. Been meaning to comment for awhile now. Love the photos and what a great gig! It’s hard for me to see in the photos but I’m guessing that it is an all-in-one Mobile mapper. Just can’t see the GPS component though.
I have a few questions-
Do you know what the data parameters are set at? 15-30m? Either way, I’m sure it’s a fairly large point cloud dump after a run.

Are you post processing or is there a RTK subscription involved. You mentioned you out of service and in quite remote areas so the latter probably doesn’t apply most of the time.

If it is post processing, how is it tied? Aerial targets or handheld ties. I’m sure the precision doesn’t need to be that hot but it appears as if this is a major undertaking.

And lastly, are you collecting LIDAR data as well for topographical mapping?

Very cool project and as a Surveyor, I’m always interested! If you guys need a Surveyor, just let me know. I’ll pack my bags!!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #71

I had a SPOT, granted this was 5-6 years ago, but it was terrible. I would get home from a hike and review the GPS track and it would record maybe 5% of the path I took. These were trails on top of mountains in West Virginia in alpine meadows with no trees, so there was nothing to block the GPS reception. I used it for a year and never renewed the contract. I could send help signals but if it wasn't able to track my location it couldn't tell potential rescuers where I was.
We have one of the newer models. I almost had to use it tonight. We got into a super tricky situation. A point of no return sort of situation but luckily we have one of the best off-road vehicles ever made. Sometimes when you slide the belly downhill over the rocks, you should probably make sure the trail ahead doesn't get worse because you aren't getting back over those rocks. Ha!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

Great thread. Been meaning to comment for awhile now. Love the photos and what a great gig! It’s hard for me to see in the photos but I’m guessing that it is an all-in-one Mobile mapper. Just can’t see the GPS component though.
I have a few questions-
Do you know what the data parameters are set at? 15-30m? Either way, I’m sure it’s a fairly large point cloud dump after a run.

Are you post processing or is there a RTK subscription involved. You mentioned you out of service and in quite remote areas so the latter probably doesn’t apply most of the time.

If it is post processing, how is it tied? Aerial targets or handheld ties. I’m sure the precision doesn’t need to be that hot but it appears as if this is a major undertaking.

And lastly, are you collecting LIDAR data as well for topographical mapping?

Very cool project and as a Surveyor, I’m always interested! If you guys need a Surveyor, just let me know. I’ll pack my bags!!
ArcCollector updates everything on our ArcGIS Online map once we connect to wifi from the iPad. We are not using LIDAR on this project unfortunately because that would be fun to work with. This is more about very specific roads. A lot of them were identified with older satellite imagery due to the nature of what we are working with. As far as the back end goes, our videos are synced with an app called GPS tracks later on in when at the office. The accuracy just needs to be close not super accurate but the A-GPS on the iPads run through ArcCollector and the GPS Tracks app is usually very close. I'll keep you posted if we ever need a surveyor! All the GPS location of these roads were collected 8-10 years ago and so most of them are already done but there will always be the next project. :)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #73

Enjoy these photos from Kane County. I did one of the scariest and most difficult roads I have ever driven in my life today. Needless to say, I wouldn't have done it but there was no way back up. The picture downhill doesn't do it justice and you won't see the steep drops off the sides because I was driving very intently with my eyes on the road and not taking photos during those sections because I didn't want to die. Anyways, enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,422 Posts

That last pic..looks pretty hairy lol! I can see why you had to focus on driving rather than snapping photos.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #75

We were sliding the belly over 4' rock ledges most of the way down. This is so much steeper than it looks but you can kind of see how the drop offs are on the sides. It just got narrower as we went down. Glad to have done it. Glad to be done with it! Ha!

That last pic..looks pretty hairy lol! I can see why you had to focus on driving rather than snapping photos.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #77

Another beautiful day in southern Utah!

Attachments

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #79

Heck that stuff is nothing to an FJ. Looks like a Sunday drive around here.

Yeah, it takes all this terrain like a pro, however, when it comes to our safety, our personal limits are the actual limits to the FJ. :)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #80

Finished up my week of work so thought I would share some final photos of the week. We ran into some snow but made it through about 3.9 miles of 6-8" but when we came around one turn, we knew it was the end of the trail. Too much slope, crawl control didn't dig it out, and rear diff lock on wouldn't help us move any either. As always, hope you enjoy them!

Attachments

61 - 80 of 148 Posts