Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive noticed when I take my foot off the accelerator that my Fj begins to slow down like the engine is lugging it down. It doesnt coast like my old K5 Blazer.

My Fj has the automatic.

Is it supposed to do this.....or should it go into like a overdrive gear and coast?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yea men, this is one thing that i don't like, even going down hill you let off the gas and it slows down, even tried it to put in neutral and still slows down, i guess is just the bad wind resistance....

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I can't complain about it...I live in the mountains and we've got a crap load of speed traps.... believe it or not..I know...

yes it's normal!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok...was just wondering.....Ive only put 1056 miles on it since I bought it last month and so i dont have much experience with it yet.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Ok...was just wondering.....Ive only put 1056 miles on it since I bought it last month and so i dont have much experience with it yet.

Thanks all.
One other thing, and please don't take this the wrong way..... Your transfer case is in 2H, correct?

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Mine does it too, i think its because its shaped like a brick (air brakes)

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
at times you can feel the downshift......when I first got my Ti it alarmed me....then i read about it hear and realized it was normal....sometimes when you feel it drop back a gear you can actually toggle the shifter to 4th and realize what is happening.....

Smart transmissions don't coast.....They "adapt' to the topography.....lol. Like my turn signals that automatically come on when i get near a Tim Hortons.....Funny how that happens....

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
As others have said... It seems to be the way the FJ is. Coming from driving manual transmission vehicles, I like the slow-down when the throttle is released. The older AT's that coasted scared the crap out of me..LOL.. Ron

Ive noticed when I take my foot off the accelerator that my Fj begins to slow down like the engine is lugging it down. It doesnt coast like my old K5 Blazer.

My Fj has the automatic.

Is it supposed to do this.....or should it go into like a overdrive gear and coast?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Don't know about anyone else but, I kind of like it. I've read a few posts here & there about the trans. in the FJ, this down shift thing & the "rev limiter" thing. I would guess Toyota built this thing to get MAX traction & control.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Completely normal...my AT does the same thing - kind of a bummer since it could help out with gas mileage, but the FJ was designed with fairly aggressive engine braking - IMO. Even on the steepest of inclines mine will slow down 2-5mph every couple seconds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts