Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Im new to this forum so have some patience ;)

For the next couple of months I will be doing a write up on my Fj!
A little backstory:
I purchased the truck from Copart sometime around the beginning of September. Initially, I was trying to win a 4th gen Toyota 4Runner, but that went way over budget in a hurry. At the last moment, I noticed what is now my rig, and decided to play it. And to my surprise, I actually won it! I knew heading in that purchasing a car sight unseen was a risk, but I decided to roll the dice anyways. This is what it looked like online:

The truck is local to me, and should arrive soon.
I'll keep you guys updated, and try to post at least weekly.
P.S. Thank you for reading!

MOAB SUPERSTAR
Welcome and best of luck with the rebuild! Feel free to ask questions - we are happy to help on your most worthy project 馃憤

Registered
Hi All, Im new to this forum so have some patience ;)

For the next couple of months I will be doing a write up on my Fj!
A little backstory:
I purchased the truck from Copart sometime around the beginning of September. Initially, I was trying to win a 4th gen Toyota 4Runner, but that went way over budget in a hurry. At the last moment, I noticed what is now my rig, and decided to play it. And to my surprise, I actually won it! I knew heading in that purchasing a car sight unseen was a risk, but I decided to roll the dice anyways. This is what it looked like online:

View attachment 1140632 View attachment 1140633 View attachment 1140634

The truck is local to me, and should arrive soon.
I'll keep you guys updated, and try to post at least weekly.
P.S. Thank you for reading!
Good luck.
You got one intereste follower here already. Definitely keep us posted and share pics and videos if you can.
Cheers
G

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Update:
After a few days on the road, my rig is finally home!
Here is what it looked like immediately after delivery:

The front bumper, as well as some trims and various plastics were removed before towing, here's a side shot:

Now seeing the top half of the apron folded over was a bit worrying, but a friend of mine who pulls cars is going to take a look and give his opinion. On this first day, I made it a priority to remove and make notes of as many damaged parts as possible. I began the process by taking lots of pictures, and preparing tools. Having established a basic plan, I jacked up the front left side, removed the wheel, and after around 30 mins of fussing about had the fender and fender liner removed. Then, I removed the headlights and turn signals, as well as other miscellaneous damaged bits.
At this step it looked somewhat better:

(Note:I decided to cut the stock flare up higher than usual, I will be trimming it to fit aftermarket flares in the near future)

Finally, I removed the damaged bumper reinforcement. Now this was quite the challenge, as it was smashed in especially well around the bolt holes. Having removed it, I was pleasantly surprised that the frame hadn't really moved at all:

(and as my friend later said would require only minor adjustments).
As far as structural damage goes, my friend assures me that I will only need to order a Radiator Support, and preferably the top piece of the right side fender apron, but he's not 100% sure yet
All in all this was an eventful day, and I'm looking forward to hunting for parts. So far i'm pleased with my purchase, although I can't say the same about the weather :)
Feel free to ask questions, I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Well it's been a good amount of time, so here's an update!
I have spent the last couple of weeks ordering and picking up parts.The frame shop Im contracting to pull the apron and replace the radiator support has a slot open for next week, so I'm preparing the truck by removing anything that will inevitably get in the way. But first some parts:

For Headlights, I decided to go with OE turn signals, and Halo non projector units

Besides the parts pictures, I have ordered and received a ton of little things, like hood hinges, brackets and much more. Yesterday, I noticed some damage on the outer cowl piece. In order to remove it, I had to pull the windshield wiper arms. This required the use of a bearing puller:

Having removed the upper metal cowl, and the large plastic piece it mounts to, I then installed the replacement hinges, and threw on the hood. I mainly did this to keep the weather out of the engine bay. After finishing up with the hood, I attempted to jump start the truck. And to my surprise, it started right up! In total, I ran it for around 2 minutes, and reparked it into a new location. To me, the fact that it drove, let alone started, is the ultimate testament to Toyotas reliability. Here's how it sits as of today:

I hoped you all will enjoy reading this as much as I enjoy tinkering on this rig ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
That is awesome.
if you don鈥檛 mind me asking, how much back round do you have in doing this stuff?
I've rebuild a few cars before personally, but I must say a lot of my experience comes from my dad. I've helped him rebuild around 15 cars, so definitely not new in the field haha. I couldn't imagine doing it alone and without previous experience though.

Registered
I've rebuild a few cars before personally, but I must say a lot of my experience comes from my dad. I've helped him rebuild around 15 cars, so definitely not new in the field haha. I couldn't imagine doing it alone and without previous experience though.
Awesome. My dad wouldn鈥檛 touch a car (other then to drive it) with a 10 foot pole :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
It's been another busy week, so here's a recap.
I basically removed everything necessary in order to install the new radiator support and upper apron piece.
Everything from the battery, to the airbox had to be removed and inspected. I spent a total of about 5 hours removing and moving everything:

After taking this picture, I spent close to another 2 hours removing even more accessories, lines and what felt like a million wiring loom mounting clips haha. The next day, I was finally able to tow the rig over to the frame shop, where all the real work will commence lol:

Now, on to my first question. Are expensive aftermarket flares really worth it? I've seen reviews of both, and it seems that they both fit poorly and require trimming to perfect.( I plan on respraying them anyways, so i'm not afraid to cut them either way). Any input would be valued!

MOAB SUPERSTAR
Looking so much better already, and happy to hear she started! If you mean those gigantic bushwhacker fender flares, I鈥檝e heard from others that they scratch the paint underneath, hold dirt and promote rust. Plus I like the appearance of the OE flares way better 馃憤 Good luck with the next phase!

Premium Member

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for your replies! I guess I'm sticking to either no flares or running stock ones. If I want to run flareless, should I cut them similarly to how you would to run aftermarket flares?

4-Corners Moderator
Quite the endeavor you are going through to bring your FJ back to life! Keep up the good work.

As far as the flares go, if you go flareless, you will have to do some trimming to get it to look good, but others have done it with success. So just check out other's photos and builds to get an idea of what to cut.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Hello everyone, it's been awhile since I've posted an update on the FJ, so here we go!
Im happy to report that the upper apron on the left side was replaced, frame adjustments made, and seam sealer reapplied in all factory locations. I opted to have the whole area sprayed in PPG primer, and then 3M undercoating for added durability. In addition, the front half of the frame was sanded, treated for minor surface rust, and also sprayed in 3M undercoating.

With everything mostly still disassembled, I threw in a spacer lift (most likely will be replaced with either a Toytec or Icon later on). I also took the time to change the upper control arms, install new sway bar bushings, and discovered some very worn brake pads haha. After suspension work was finished, I began the tedious but satisfying job of reinstalling everything. The intake, brake booster, fuse box, wiring loom, transmission lines, ac lines, and a million other things went in at this stage.

I then ran the wiring harness, installed the radiator, fan shroud, and AC condenser.

Like always, the PNW weather was not helping much lol. Finally, I then began the process of replacing the 4x4 differential actuator. I removed the old faulty unit, used OEM Toyota FIPG sealant, and finished up for the day. All I have left on the mechanical side of things is filling up the diff, radiator, and doing an oil change. So not counting body work, the easy stuff馃槀. Let me know if you guys have any questions or suggestions!

Registered
Wow, this is quite a project! I appreciate you updating this post. We are getting to learn about a number of aspects of the FJ and its construction that aren't normally seen.

Reactions: FJPhill
1 - 20 of 36 Posts