Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Recently I noticed that my FJ started to shudder or vibrate for about 1/2 a second at around 25-30 mph. This doesn't happen all the time but I noticed it starting to do it more now than a month ago when I first noticed it. Has anyone in here have this problem before? I'm afraid that my transmission or torque converter is going out. I would be so disappointed if the transmission would go out this early 180,000 miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does it always happen at that speed, no matter how you're accelerating? If it's only under fairly light acceleration (based on my limited experience) it might be transmission shudder, which I understand is usually fixed with a transmission fluid flush and a 'shudder fix' additive. My FJ has started doing it (at 290,000KM), and my mechanic (former Toyota mechanic) said the fix is to flush the fluid and add some shudder fix. He said he FJ was doing it, and this fixed it.

If it happens at that speed regardless of acceleration (try manually shifting and holding the lower gears a little longer, or brisk acceleration to see if it still happens), then it might be one of many other things from wheel balance to suspension components worn/loose etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i only notice it doing it if I'm accelerating slower than I normally would. Any idea where I can get the shudder fix additives?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought my first FJ in early Jan. I had read about shudder and tried to check for it during the test drive. I had heard it happens between 45 and 50mph and could not make it do it. After a few weeks I started noticing definite shudder but at slow speeds in over drive. When excellerating very slowly and it shifts into the last gear around around 35 to 40 mph and the rpm drops back to around 1100 rpms it would fill like you were ridding on speed bumps, bad vibration. I did the transmission fluid change using Toyota wc fluid. It took around 14qts. And now its gone. It had a little shudder left after the fluid change but within I say 100 miles it was all gone. The fluid in mine was black. If you do the fluid change you need to read the topics on here and watch some videos. You will need to set the amount of fluid in it at the end by having the fluid around 110 degrees. I used a inferred hear gun to check the temp. It's not hard just study up on it before starting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i only notice it doing it if I'm accelerating slower than I normally would. Any idea where I can get the shudder fix additives?
I'm not certain where to get the Shudder fix additive from - my mechanic says he stocks it (he is a former Toyota mechanic and does a lot of work on Toyota's, and said other Toyota vehicles with this trans have the same issue), so he keeps some on hand. He suggested not even doing a full flush, just drain (which gets about 4Litres out) and refill, and then put in the additive. Drive it for a while, and at the next oil change, do the same thing again and it should slowly improve - he said it won't 'fix' it right away so not to expect the shudder to disappear right away. Something about a full (pressure) flush that some shops will do to speed up the process can potentially damage the valve body, or at least push any sludge that might be caught up in the screen filter through the valve body and partially plug things up. So, he said, particularly if the shudder is just starting to happen, to just drain and replace the fluid (which replaces only about 4L or so), and to do this several times over a period of time. He did say to only use the WS trans fluid as he's seen fluids other than WS (even other fluids with an additive that's supposed to make it WS) cause problems in the trans.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought my first FJ in early Jan. I had read about shudder and tried to check for it during the test drive. I had heard it happens between 45 and 50mph and could not make it do it. After a few weeks I started noticing definite shudder but at slow speeds in over drive. When excellerating very slowly and it shifts into the last gear around around 35 to 40 mph and the rpm drops back to around 1100 rpms it would fill like you were ridding on speed bumps, bad vibration. I did the transmission fluid change using Toyota wc fluid. It took around 14qts. And now its gone. It had a little shudder left after the fluid change but within I say 100 miles it was all gone. The fluid in mine was black. If you do the fluid change you need to read the topics on here and watch some videos. You will need to set the amount of fluid in it at the end by having the fluid around 110 degrees. I used a inferred hear gun to check the temp. It's not hard just study up on it before starting.
Apparently, it's something about the lock-up torque converting rapidly and repeatedly locking and unlocking that's causing the shudder. New fluid (and possibly adding the Shudder Fix additive) seems to resolve this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Apparently, it's something about the lock-up torque converting rapidly and repeatedly locking and unlocking that's causing the shudder. New fluid (and possibly adding the Shudder Fix additive) seems to resolve this.
I think the torque converter has several jobs and seems like I read some where it cushions the torque of the motor. Shudder in mine was just like taking a manual transmission all the way down to the point it starts to vibrates and bulks at very low rpms. So maybe your right the old thick fluid don't let it do its job very effective.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,

Recently I noticed that my FJ started to shudder or vibrate for about 1/2 a second at around 25-30 mph. This doesn't happen all the time but I noticed it starting to do it more now than a month ago when I first noticed it. Has anyone in here have this problem before? I'm afraid that my transmission or torque converter is going out. I would be so disappointed if the transmission would go out this early 180,000 miles.
One thing to try - if you're driving in D and it starts to shudder, shift to 4. If the shudder stops, then I'd say it's the transmission (and the fluid change and additive should help/fix it). If it doesn't, then it's likely something else.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's not a pressure flush. You basically disconnect the return line off of the radiator and hook up a line, start the vehicle for a few seconds and pump 2 qts. Out shut it off and add 2qts and do it over and over till the fluid is clean and red. But make sure you read up on it first.
One thing to try - if you're driving in D and it starts to shudder, shift to 4. If the shudder stops, then I'd say it's the transmission (and the fluid change and additive should help/fix it). If it doesn't, then it's likely something else.
  1. Yelp, mine would stop by shifting into 4th. and a fluid change fixed it completely. I would do the total fluid change rather than just changing the pan fluid and adding shudder fix. My fluid was black.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts