Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

today during my stop-go commute home I was hit from behind by a Prius.
The hit was directly against the trailer hitch. very little visible damage.

I was at a complete stop, and hit from behind. The guy was doing about 20-25mph. The impact was strong enough that I have a sore neck and bad headache from it.

Is there a way to check to see if there's any other damage to the frame that is not visible upon casual inspection?

My concern is that all the impact energy got transferred to the frame from the hitch or should I not worry too much about it?

Thanks for your input,

Leo

Attachments

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Based on the very minor damage to the Prius' front-end plastic, this was a 3-7 MPH impact, not a 20-25 MPH impact. Even a 20 MPH impact would have destroyed the Prius' front end.

And there's not even a mark on your plastic bumper cover? I think the only injury may be to the rubber hitch plug.

For added assurance, your Dealership can visually check the back side of the rear crossmember for any deformation. I wouldn't let them pull the rear bumper cover just to do an inspection; unless done carefully by a competent technician, there are too many areas where it's possible to cause cosmetic damage.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I have to agree about the speed, I highly doubt The actual impact was more then 5 mph ... That's a good thing, I would be more concerned if the Prius bumped your rear spare tire, it would be very easy to have sustained rear door damage and not know it. Have the dealer remove the spare and check the door, bumper and hitch for damage, even five miles an hour is a ton or more of crushing force.
EDIT: If you look closely at the black bumper Facia immediately below the tire you can see it is creased (damaged). Definitely your spare got hit.... Some people don't care what their vehicles look like and accept the loss of value. For me it was not meant to be that way, his/her car did the damage, their insurance can fix it to like new condition.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Based on the very minor damage to the Prius' front-end plastic, this was a 3-7 MPH impact, not a 20-25 MPH impact. Even a 20 MPH impact would have destroyed the Prius' front end.

And there's not even a mark on your plastic bumper cover? I think the only injury may be to the rubber hitch plug.

For added assurance, your Dealership can visually check the back side of the rear crossmember for any deformation. I wouldn't let them pull the rear bumper cover just to do an inspection; unless done carefully by a competent technician, there are too many areas where it's possible to cause cosmetic damage.

I agree about the speed, however, I do see some damage to the silver valance... Not big though..
Cheers

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
I personally wouldn't waste the cash having it checked out, but its your call.
Ive a**ed out on rocks coming out of deep gullies and backed into rocks, trees and have been rear ended by a guy checking a girl walking down the street (yes he admitted to it) and thought looking a little banged up my rear bumper is just fine.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hey socal,
I had the same thing happen about a year ago. Subaru hit me square in the hitch. The 'roo was toast and everything looked good at first glance. No damage to the hitch but it bent the frame. I got a whole new frame out the deal. Hope you dont have to go through that.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hope all turns out okay. I purposely leave my hitch on with the ball attached for those who want to bump park. It adjust vertically so there's about a foot of steel and the ball to greet those morons who creep till they bump my truck. I've been bumped a number of times and the car that bumps me is usually creased in the grill area. So far, I've not been rear ended, but I hope the hitch pin will save damage to my frame by breaking in a low speed hit. I'd like to rig up something similar for the front. The darned plastic bumpers are cheesey and expensive....a contradiction in terms, eh?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey socal,
I had the same thing happen about a year ago. Subaru hit me square in the hitch. The 'roo was toast and everything looked good at first glance. No damage to the hitch but it bent the frame. I got a whole new frame out the deal. Hope you dont have to go through that.
Go to the doctor. I was in a virtually identical situation in 2011 and I still have issues with headaches and neck aches.
Thanks for all the input folks.. Went to the doctor today, got some pain killers for my neck; it was more sore this morning as I predicted it would be :)

I will take the FJ in to have it inspected next week - I hope there's nothing hidden but we'll find out..

-Leo

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hope you and your FJ recover soon. Last week on my way home from work, someone made an illegal left turn and hit me on the front passenger side. The impact was enough to push my FJ a little sideways, but there was almost no visible damage. Just some marks that appear to be from their left front tire which hit my rock sliders and possibly front tire. The front driver side of the other vehicle looked heavily damaged. My FJ friends recommended going in to a Toyota collision center to have the frame checked just to be safe. I called San Diego Toyota Collision Center and spoke with one of their tech's who seemed to be pretty honest. He said it's unlikely I would have frame damage, but I could bring it in for a free "visual" inspection. If I want them to perform a laser inspection it's $200. I'm going to see if I can get my insurance company to pay for it so I'm not a double victim.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
There's no harm in getting everything inspected except maybe a few dollars from your pocket. Looking at the damage to the prius, it doesn't look like it was actually at 20-25mph. But better safe than sorry though. Next time get a ball hitch and install it. Had a bimmer rear end me and that sucker destroyed his radiator. Does a great job of prevent bump parkers, too, especially here in NYC. As others say, I'd be more concerned with the rear tire possibly denting the door.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Hope you and your FJ recover soon. Last week on my way home from work, someone made an illegal left turn and hit me on the front passenger side. The impact was enough to push my FJ a little sideways, but there was almost no visible damage. Just some marks that appear to be from their left front tire which hit my rock sliders and possibly front tire. The front driver side of the other vehicle looked heavily damaged. My FJ friends recommended going in to a Toyota collision center to have the frame checked just to be safe. I called San Diego Toyota Collision Center and spoke with one of their tech's who seemed to be pretty honest. He said it's unlikely I would have frame damage, but I could bring it in for a free "visual" inspection. If I want them to perform a laser inspection it's $200. I'm going to see if I can get my insurance company to pay for it so I'm not a double victim.
Not sure if your tire is turned just a little to the passenger side or it is the angle of the picture but it sure does look closer to the passenger door than normal.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hey socal,
Was that first glance at night after drinks? :lol:

Hope you fared better than the frame. Glad you were able to get it resolved properly. :clap:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Was that first glance at night after drinks? :lol:

Hope you fared better than the frame. Glad you were able to get it resolved properly. :clap:
Well this happened on a Friday night on the interstate in Jan. Was really not that worried about looking under in those conditions.

The next morning was a whole different story......

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'd get it checked at a good body shop that you trust. Any checkout they have to do that would involve pulling parts, etc should be paid for by the Prius owner's insurance, even if there really isn't any damage. You might want to talk to the insurance company and the shop and see if they would be willing to do an aftermarket rear bumper (if it is the same cost or lower than an OEM replacement) if anything back there needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the observation mackb. I did a quick measurement with wheels straight and I think all is well. I did learn a couple of things from the appraiser at the Toyota Collision center the other day. He took a look and said these vehicles are built to take a lot worse impacts. He said if my frame was bent you would probably see the door would not line up so well. He did recommend bringing it in for a front-end alignment/check though. Between $90 and $200.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts