Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Hope you're OK. Sorry, but all of these senseless accidents are really getting on my nerves. Damned distracted drivers. Did the cops check his cell phone? Probably texting or playing with his ballz, either way, DEFINATELY take it to the best alignment shop in town and have them laser check the frame and everything and do a top notch alignment. The Prius owner will have to pay for it.

My Daughter got pulled out in front of last month ($1800) and her Mother got re-ended on the freeway (totaled Lexus, broken hand) three weeks ago. What the h3ll is going on out there?

Four months ago I wrote this:

CRUMPLE TECHNOLOGY:

So tonight I stayed up kinda late thinking and tinkering in the garage. During the past month or so we have had 5 or 6 forum members get rear ended while driving their FJ's. KCMasterpiece was struck from behind by a Semi truck on the interstate yesterday for crying out loud.

I couldn't help but remember a crash I was in when I was 17 years old. I was driving my pride and joy, my 1966 Chevelle Malibu. I was stopped at a light and all of a sudden KABOOM!!! A lady rammed into the rear of my car. Luckily for me it was summertime and I had my trailer hitch installed. Yes, true story, my buddy's Dad would let us take his boat waterskiing but not his truck, so I went to the junk yard, removed a hitch from another Chevy and installed it. It was nothing more than a 3/4" piece of steel with a hole in it for the ball.

At the time of the accident there wasn't a ball in it. That piece of steel went right through the cars radiator. Because I had my air shocks aired up, (Ya, it was 1977, the Dukes of Hazard had absolutely NOTHING on me, lol) her car proceeded to lift mine up. She struck my fuel tank and her front bumper ended up touching my rear axle. In the process my trailer hitch was bent almost straight down. Her hood was peeled almost all the way back to her windshield. The only damage to my car was the jacked up hitch, a dent in my gas tank and a ruined rear bumper. No busted tail lights, no body damage.

The sight of that car underneath mine was quite sobering (even though I wasn't drinking). I remember the fireman asking me over and over if I was OK. I was, most of the energy of that crash was spent lifting my car up and demolishing her front end. He then told me that I was very lucky to have had that hitch installed.

It's funny, the cops didn't say a word about my car NOT having any seat belts.

I look at all the wrecks that are happening these days. Many of which are caused by distracted drivers. Cell phones, I pads, note books, GPS units, lap tops, computers, charging devices, TV screens, blue tooth, satellite this and that, on Star, 6 disc CD players, dash cams, go pros, complicated audio systems... etc....etc....

Never before have we had so many distractions. Drinking and driving has been a problem ever since the invention of the wheel. Now in the lovely State of Colorado, you can legally go downtown and buy a nice helping of POT, Yum Yum.

So in summary, we now have, cruising about our streets and freeways, the usual drunks, crack heads, meth addicts, the plethora of beginner drivers, the distracted drivers and yes, the much higher than a kite, pot heads!! Driving your FJ on a bumpy, off camber, cliff ridden trail, littered with boulders, mud holes and poisonous snakes may very well be the safest place to be.

When I built these bumpers I spent a lot of time making sure that my approach and departure angles would be just as good as they possibly could. I honestly don't think you can order a set of bumpers that offer better angles of A and D. In doing so I made my FJ a bit more susceptible to damage in the event of a collision. Without crumple technology, air bags deploy prematurely, radiators get ruptured and even frames can get bent more easily.

So far everything I have done to my FJ is to make it better, tougher and more capable for off road situations. We have completed some pretty difficult trails and our FJ body and bumpers don't have a scratch to show for it.

Now I seriously feel as though I need to do something, anything to address the dangers of pavement driving.

The factory rear bumper was nothing more than plastic, so I haven't removed any crumple technology from it. More than half of the vehicles in our town are either pick up trucks or SUV's. Most of which in a rear end collision would hit the spare tire first, causing a lot of damage to the rear door.

The front bumper did have some flimsy steel in it that was designed to crumple when struck. I removed this, so I feel I need to replace it with something.

On the front of the FJ I have almost $600 in lights alone. (and I want more!!!) These lights could easily be damaged by a backing Walmart shopper or even a wind blown shopping cart. Additional protection up front will save them and the radiator in a moderate fender bender.

Today I started to fab up my "City Armor." If you need me to give you a pull start and forgot to throw in a chain? No worries, I'll push that sucker till it fires up.

Nothing is welded up yet and the whole thing will simply slide into the hitch. I will incorporate a tightening system similar to the one on my slider to prevent movement or any noise. Keep in mind, this tubing is only 1/8" thick. It's pretty stout, but not as strong as regular hitch tubing. I think it would absorb a lot of energy before buckling if involved in a more serious accident. It would also protect my spare, rear door and frame. I hope I never find out. I think I'll make the tube stick out three inches past the spare. Two hitch pin holes and it becomes adjustable.

It will be weird having to remember to "remove" my armor "before" I go off road.

DSC04278.jpg

DSC04290.jpg

I'm thinking I should have gone bigger now. Good luck. :rocker:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Thanks for the observation mackb. I did a quick measurement with wheels straight and I think all is well. I did learn a couple of things from the appraiser at the Toyota Collision center the other day. He took a look and said these vehicles are built to take a lot worse impacts. He said if my frame was bent you would probably see the door would not line up so well. He did recommend bringing it in for a front-end alignment/check though. Between $90 and $200.

Interesting, my Toyota dealer does a free "alignment inspection" (not sure if its the same check yours does, but they have the laser type device in the main bay where you pull in. Not sure how effective it is.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Doubt theres anything wrong with your truck. The prius would be destroyed long before there was any damage to your rig.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Doubt theres anything wrong with your truck. The prius would be destroyed long before there was any damage to your rig.
That seems to be the case; I've been driving it for a week now and I don't notice anything out of the ordinary. I crawled under the back to see if there's anything obvious and found nothing other than the damages rubber hitch cap.

I'll have it checked out professionally once my my back issues are under control..

-Leo

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'd make sure both you and your rig are checked out. I know I'm a little late to this game but I've spent the last two weeks dealing with being rear ended myself. Our rigs hold up great in accidents. Right after mine I thought I escaped undamaged while the durango that hit me was obviously totaled. As my insurance keeps digging into it(he didn't have any) the bills keep piling up. The bumper cover and absorber inside it are usually replaced in a rear end accident no matter what. Also make sure to have your rear door very closely examined. That gets dented in these types of accidents very easily. I also have to have the rear body panel replaced since the impact damaged the floor of the cargo area, apparently that's one spot that is very commonly overlooked. You also need to make sure every single ache and pain is checked out. I hurt worse now then I did the few days following the accident...whiplash is a *****. Mine drives perfectly fine and I had it for about two weeks before I dropped it at the shop this morning but they're still telling me the bill will be at least $5K, probably more as they discover more issues when everything is torn apart. Hopefully you get off a little bit better than I did.

·
Admin
6,993 Posts

21 - 30 of 30 Posts