Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i started this and it turned into something a little crazier. originally i just wanted to run an ipod charging cable and the auxiliary and hide it as much as possible. well much cutting and cussing and creating later...this is what i've come up with. quick overview of it. it is fully controllable with a remote and charges and turns off with the car. plays through the aux on the radio and looks somewhat discreet...(well almost.)

the finished product...for now(still need to find a place to mount my remote receiver)

some of the components used. the only thing not pictured is the extender ipod cable...which surprisingly is very hard to find! also the 12v plug isn't pictured.

extended remote receiver...

homemade aux plug with remote...

12v car charger is a dual USB setup that is charging the ipod and my iphone...
need to clean up some wires behind the radio bezel so it isn't so cluttered and i need to still figure out where to mount the remote receiver. as of right now i'm planning on the top left plank switch plate by the shifter. i'm gonna be buying a different receiver to solder on and hopefully it will be easier to mount but we'll see.

tested it all about 4am...works. not exactly the smoothest cut out cause it was about 3am and i was getting tired and sloppy with my dremel.

any comments or ideas on improving are very much welcome!

thanks!

oh and i also mad my own iPhone mount...

i will be trying to find another radio bezel so i can redo this a little cleaner. if anyone knows of one let me know!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Props for being innovative. I would put some kind of a a smoked plexi glass that flips up to kinda hide what is there when away from the car. You will be able to still see thru it and the IR remote will still work.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I bought a new control cluster panel from Sparks Toyota for around $92. If you search their site, I think it's called "HVAC Cluster". You may have to call or e-mail to figure out which one is painted the right color.

Why didn't you use the iphone as your ipod? Especially if you installed a dock for it. I bought one of those vent clip holders for my iPhone and put it on the top left air vent of the center console. Drilled a hole from the bottom and popped the Aux cable out the air vent. Its right near the steering wheel, close to eye-line and I can use it for GPS or to find the cheapest gas station with it sitting right there.

Also, how do you add songs to the ipod if it's mounted behind the panel?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i thought about originally using my iphone but i wanted something i could leave and forget about it. the iphone dock is just there to hold it and charge it when i'm using the GPS or anything on it. i had that ipod just sitting around so decided to put it to use.

with the next setup i do it will be a little easier to remove, but to get this one out you just need to remove the HVAC cluster panel. 2 screws for the silver trim and 2 screws for the bezel piece. unplugs easily with the cable i had to get.

like i said...kind of the idea i'm going for and thats why i want to get another cluster piece and maybe use an old nano or a slightly smaller ipod. i had to dremel away alot of plastic to get everything to fit and it still isn't flush due to the slight curve of the bezel. i was mainly just going for the ability to control it via remote and then went nuts mounting it. the original idea just had a cable coming out and the ipod velcroed to the out side...

you see how it all ended...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts