Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FJ VooDoo Blue
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted a roof ladder solution but ended up going in a different direction. This is the solution that worked for me.
I decided that I had two issues with mounted external ladders.
  1. You can't position yourself in the location that is most convenient. A rear ladder doesn't help much with side loading or front tie downs.
  2. You still need one hand to hold yourself in place as you carry something.
I found a very compact aluminum step ladder and mounted it in the back door. The mounts are rubber strap mounts for a fire extinguisher, or similar object. The ladder top step matches the height of the door sill step on both the rear and side doors. When I use it my legs are in a base triangle, like on the ground, so I have two hands free to do my loading. It works great. Here are the links to what I purchased mount, ladder. Total cost $77.00. I made aluminum backing plates (basically epic fender washers) for the back door mounts so the load was distributed across the plastic panel. I also did the mounts in line with the two top screws for the panel so it wasn't' pulling on the snap fittings.
Tire Car Plant Vehicle Wheel

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Thats a great idea. I have never wanted a mounted ladder they are useless. I just open the back door and stand on the rear floor or open the side doors and stand there. I`ve been doing this for over 15 years now. I really do like your idea here though because you could use this to work under the hood as well. Great idea :)

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
For side/front access, a good set of kick-out rock sliders (that you need for offroading anyway) or opening the side doors will do as a standing platform. The only reason I'd ever see to need a ladder is to climb up on the roof itself, which you aren't doing on the factory rack (something like a Gobi with a mesh floor you can). And when I needed to stand on my roof, I'd just step on the bumper corner then the spare tire.

·
Registered
2008 FJ VooDoo Blue
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jimmy, that's not the point. The point is that if you are able to put a leg out away from the truck you don't fall away from the truck when you push things on/in. So instead of having a platform that is parallel to the car (door sills) you have a "T" platform with the sills and then step that is away from the truck. You can make a stable triangle like as if you were standing at ground level and loading something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts