Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So to be honest, I haven't spent a lot of time on these forums. Though they sure did come up a lot when doing my research before buying. My last car was a Chrysler 300, great car hell of a deal, but I want to actually go off pavement. It will go to a good home with my sister.

This FJ was, if the dealers at Toyota were correct, the 2nd last Off-road model in Canada listed under the "new" category. It was a dealer demo, so it wasn't 'brand' new.

I love it, everything except the range that is. I'm a bit spoiled with the 800-900km range from the 300. So that will take some getting used to when planing my trips.

It is the first new vehicle I've ever purchased. It was really looking at the depreciation, or lack of, that pushed me into the 'new' category.

I'm looking to go all sorts of places with it. I'm based in Calgary so I have plenty of amazing places to roam nearby.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,064 Posts
G'day,
Sweet looking AG...
Range is always the issue, 72 li just doesn't go that far in an FJ brick.
Sounds like you could use an auxiliary tank to get you further.... :lol:
There are a few options available for the FJ, and worth looking into.
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
33,728 Posts
Welcome!

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Congrats on your score! There has been a mention of Aux fuel tanks. If your Canadian rig has the American spec evaporative emissions controls, including a canister to collect the vapors from the fuel tank, be sure to search the threads, including recent, for folks who have had to replace their evap canister. Seems the US aftermarket aux fuel tanks with dual filler fuel necks installed may be the culprit in allowing gas liquid to slosh into the canister, thereby rendering it inoperable - $1300/$1400 repair. Don't worry, your FJ will tell you if this happens, with the infamous Christmas tree of death light display.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...834-replacing-charcoal-canister-2nd-time.html

I hated the fact that I couldn't even get out of Florida (higher gas price state) without having to make at least one fuel stop. But that was in Trail Teams rigs with 16" Goodrich KO tires and luggage racks. With my new 2014 Army base model with the 17" Dunlop street-type tires and no luggage rack, fuel economy is up to 20+ mpg highway, and I sail past the high-priced Florida gas stations and into the (relatively) cheap gas of Georgia., without having to trash my evaporative emissions system with an auxiliary fuel tank.

Enjoy the Cruiser, a real BUFF, but the best BUFF on the road, or off.

·
Premium Member
16,745 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Welcome!

I think the limited range will become very bearable as you have so much fun driving. The army green looks great. Eager to see pics from your adventures.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Welcome.

Those photographs are awesome. I am loving me some 2014 Army Green too !!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Welcome from NC! Owning an FJ is like embarking on the first day of the rest of your "new" adventure filled life! Cheers!
Anne

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll probably grab 2 5 gallon Jerry cans just to be safe on most of my trips. One of my most common trips is 520km with 3 places to refuel that are all -way- over priced. (one of them was $1.84 per liter this summer)

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome

1 - 19 of 19 Posts