Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is my aluminess bumper. This was a hard decision, there are so many good bumpers out there. I finally decided on Aluminess based on two things, weight, and their willingness to make some tweaks. You will notice they changed the side skirts on this bumper for me. Overall, I am extremely pleased with this bumper AND the company that made it. Fit was perfect, shipping/packaging was excellent, and Aluminess stayed in contact. On to the pics...

and

and

·
Registered
134 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
:werd:

·
Registered
85 Posts
looks good ! I like the rims also....
I went with the Expedition One.... WyoOtto..... still have a few things to do to it.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
looks good ! I like the rims also....
I went with the Expedition One.... WyoOtto..... still have a few things to do to it.

Any tips on install? Spent all day installing Exp One Rear, have DB Front still to go.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Chris D.... be careful on the front top corners of the OEM plastic. There is a bolted on piece that the bumper hooks to. You can not get to it anywhere. I didn't find it till i broke it off. It bolts into the front of the body and the plastic clips to it. Other than that, I had to take out about 6 screws around the wheel well to get off the inner fender and fender flair to get to the window washer bottle. Mine is a 2010 so the bottle is right in the front. ( not sure how the other ones are) It's a pain to get to though. It's not that hard to put on the bumper it just takes some patience with all the interlocking plastic.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Chris D.... be careful on the front top corners of the OEM plastic. There is a bolted on piece that the bumper hooks to. You can not get to it anywhere. I didn't find it till i broke it off. It bolts into the front of the body and the plastic clips to it. Other than that, I had to take out about 6 screws around the wheel well to get off the inner fender and fender flair to get to the window washer bottle. Mine is a 2010 so the bottle is right in the front. ( not sure how the other ones are) It's a pain to get to though. It's not that hard to put on the bumper it just takes some patience with all the interlocking plastic.
Thanks for the tip. As you know, installation docs are vague. Installed rear, and still ain't right. Will be adjusting.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
That's really a sweet bumper...is there really that much of a weight difference from Demello?

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Briareos...

I wish mine had the cool skirts on it like yours. Yours looks killer!! Much more finished look, I wish Aluminess would make that a option or start making it on all there bumpers like that.

Very awesome look! Congrats!!

Click my link for my Aluminess Install!

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Briareos...How does your wench fit in the aluminess bumper? ok??
What kind is it?

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Briareos...How does your wench fit in the aluminess bumper? ok??
What kind is it?
In my overall weight reduction theme, I installed a superwinch rock 95 with synthetic line. Installed weight (winch,cables, box) of 58lbs. I didn't weigh the bumper, but I beleive it is around 70 lbs. I beleive this is about as light as you can get with a plate bumper and 9500 lb winch.

I had no problem fitting the winch, but I did have to drill new winch mounting holes for the Rock 95 since it is a short drum winch and the hole pattern is not standard. I also chose to drill two holes through the internal vertical brace to bolt the solenoid box centered and just under the top door in a position where it would be easy to plug in the winch controller. I also had to get longer winch mounting bolts to make it through the thick aluminum winch plate and still have enough engagement in the winch base. Make sure to use high graded bolts if you do the same.

Due to the angle of the bumper where the winchline comes through, I also routed a radius on the inner surface of the superwinch aluminum fairlead so the rope isn't sliding over a corner.

I think Aluminess may have adopted this version as their standard design. I also think it looks great. You have documented your install very well in your album, I wish I had seen your pictures beforehand! Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics during my install, but I can try to get some of the installed winch if it would help you.

Thanks
Shawn

1 - 13 of 13 Posts