Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't flame me for not changing my own oil...too much going on in life at the moment.

My last oil change I noticed that they put a 3K interval on the windshield sticker. I didn't worry...wasn't going to change it until 5K. But then my light came on around 3K for 'maint required.'

So, I am assuming the worst and thinking that the oil change garage somehow changed my oil change interval.

How can I check to be sure, and how can I get it back to factory settings? Will disconnecting the battery for a few minutes reset it? Or will I need to get a scanner?

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Don't flame me for not changing my own oil...too much going on in life at the moment.

My last oil change I noticed that they put a 3K interval on the windshield sticker. I didn't worry...wasn't going to change it until 5K. But then my light came on around 3K for 'maint required.'

So, I am assuming the worst and thinking that the oil change garage somehow changed my oil change interval.

How can I check to be sure, and how can I get it back to factory settings? Will disconnecting the battery for a few minutes reset it? Or will I need to get a scanner?
They probably didn't reset it. Don't even worry about it until you change your oil. Then remember to reset it at that time and you will be back on schedule. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,871 Posts
Can you reset it, then reset it again at the proper time? No sense in running a dash light for 2000 miles if you dont have to!

.... to reset, make sure the odo is reading the total milage and not one of the trips, turn off, turn back on untill the dash lights come on but dont start, press the reset button for 10 seconds, it should now be reset and will come on again after 5000 miles. ....
col

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
curious as to why it came on at 3K?
I was wondering the same thing???? It is only a timer that comes on for 5000 mile maint. items(isn't it????)
Jax':wave:

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'd wager it's like my old Scion tC. You could adjust it from 1k to 5k. I'll dig up the instructions and try them on my FJ... :rocker:

Insert key, and turn to "ON" position.
Look at odometer, make sure its on ODO and not TRIP1, or TRIP2
Turn the key to the "OFF" position.
Press and hold the trip reset button (the only button on the odometer) while holding, turn key to "ON" position again.
The odometer will show blinking bars, succeeding from right to left. once all bars have succeeded, it will say "000000000"
Each bar above is = to 1k miles. Release at 5 bars for 5k, 4 for 4k, etc.

Your MIL has been reset.

I'll try on my next FJ oil change, due next weekend...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts