Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the road and on my iPad, photos may not be happening...
Bought in May, 2011, after looking at Jeep Rubicons as the alternative.
Stock was with convenience and upgrade package, and I added trailer hitch (for sale now, never used :() and driving lights.

First 'off road' experience on mean :) forest service road, albeit with downed trees:

You see the dealer tags, and lack of any mods…

Current:

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First 'real' off road trip to Tahuya state forest, sort of a local playground/grammar school for wheeling:

Now it's got sliders (body armor), installed by meself in no time, and still squeaking.
Tires are also after market (Toyo), but not bigger (maybe at some point, but for now I need to fit into garages).

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And here's my first rescue operation: poor broken Jeep with some young dudes who had another truck, but it's driver was chicken (or ***** :)) and afraid of the steep hill ahead.

See the dangly tie rod...
Jeep guy was really grateful, acknowledged properly that FJ ruled, and we parted ways most amicably.
Me gloating at the end:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Very nice. Though I don't think your pics, at least the last one, line up with what you're saying. Where is the "dangly tie rod"? I feel like this might be a homosexual pickup line of some sort. :eek:utofcloset:

Oh and love the LOTR reference. Smeagol.... great name.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seeing all these other rigs in various stages of modification stirred intense mod envy in me. I doubled my efforts researching, pm'ed veteran forum members and abused their patience severely, called vendors and did the same to them (thanks to MetalTech, BudBuilt, Toy Outfitters, AllPro, many others).

Next was trip to MetalTech near Portland, OR, purveyors of quality Toyota upgrade components, including first rate tube bumpers:

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here we are next to MetalTech's shop, with suspension lift and rear bumper installed:

That was a great experience: LT made it look so simple, and it took him less time than me changing the windshield wipers :)
(there's three of those after all, is why it takes so long!)

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Very cool Helmut! Keep posting up all that you do...nice to see you bring some new positive energy to this forum! :cheers: :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Nice progress so far Helmut. Truck's looking good with the mods. Keep it up!

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Nice work sir!

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
It's looking sweet. The guys at MT rock!

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Awesome pics, Helmut.

Adding to my collection of favorite forum pics, for sure.

Delancy

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the kind words, both of you!

Yesterday we did another mod day, detailed also elsewhere http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/1952791-post1724.html

Here's the pics again:
fjforrest doing my dirty work for me:

of course, reading the instructions fully would have helped, too, but at least we didn't have to change the left upper arm out twice :)
almost complete:

Toy Outfitters are very nice people, easy to work with; they ship at rather reasonable rates, and the product looks professional.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Your rig is coming along nicely!!

Haha they look like cardboard cutouts.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mod day again today - an easy program for me - just a better horn, a few outlets and the definitive plug placement for the CB.
I put the outlets along the shifter:

The CB plug is in the center console, on the front wall. I have one of these Midland modular units, so I want to be able to plug and unplug it as needed.
Also, the outlets are ignition independent - finally I can charge the phone all the time, like in Europe, where that's the norm with outlets :)

1 - 20 of 178 Posts