Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
That company you worked for after college should have fought to keep you on staff.

Great Work! Awesome Write Up!

You've real inspired me to take on a project like this on my own.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Great functionality and great looks. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Beautiful

Nice work. That's exactly what I had in mind and have in mind. I was thinking of how to secure the box using the existing tie down locations and you've come up with an elegant way to do that. Thank you. I will be "utilizing" some of your ideas to do my own. Great idea with the pin closures also. You obviously thought this through. One of my considerations is that I want the box at a height to where my dog can still hop in and sit on top for rides, but not too short that it hinders on storage space so much that it makes it pointless to build the box at all.

I'm impressed with what you've done. I love projects that give me an excuse to buy toys. Woodworking and the FJ are two great examples of that.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nice work, what type of rollers or slides did you use?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Nice job!
You've inspired me to go out and fire off the table saw... I love saw-dust!.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Great job and thanks for posting up a very good thread....:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nice write up!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Nice work, what type of rollers or slides did you use?
None. I don't personally think they are necessary. I cover that in the text of the first post.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Re: Beautiful

Great idea with the pin closures also. You obviously thought this through.
While I would like to take credit for the quick-release pins/sleeve bearing idea, I stole it from one of the previous box-builders who has posted here.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You would think someone would sell something like this?
BTW, there is a rumor that Tuffy has begun design on a rear storage box for the FJ. Whether that is true, what it will look like, how much it will cost and if/when they will ever release it I cannot say.

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
I'm not much of a craftsman -- but wow, I enjoying watching someone who is. Great idea, cool implementation.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Excellent work. Function and looks.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Like the design a lot, planning on doing mine without the sliders as well, but putting carpet on the botom of the box to let the drwaer slide easier & prevent the drawer from rattling on the box. The top will have a slide lok for my ARB fridge too. Good work!

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
One thing you might think about if mounting a fridge.
I have some pics up in the fridge thread elsewhere here, but even with my lower profile cargobox, the ARB fridge I just picked up yesterday, the lid will not open up all the way.

If the box was not back there, no problemo.
I am going to look at mounting the fridge plate to the back of the passenter seat, so I can place the fridge on it when the seat is folded down.
Not enough room to mount a plate on the drivers side when it is folded down.

I need about a 24x14" footprint for the plate to mount to.

·
Registered
489 Posts

And just today I'm thinking how much I like the one I built and then I see yours. Looks like I'll be building another one, don't know if I should thank you or cuss you.

Actually that's a sweet set up. Nice job!

·
Registered
4 Posts

And just today I'm thinking how much I like the one I built and then I see yours. Looks like I'll be building another one, don't know if I should thank you or cuss you.

Actually that's a sweet set up. Nice job!
Hi,
I'm new to FJ's and looking for ideas to build a rear a storage box/sleeping platform. I know it's been a LONG time since you posted this and unfortunately, your photos aren't visible. If you have photos or still have the FJ and could take photos I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

21 - 38 of 38 Posts