Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry for the late posting. had an office christmas party last night and church this morning. also fyi i'll tyoe some and then port and do more updates. this is my third time trying to make this post. aol sucks. i almost get finished and then i go off line with aol. anyway here's the scoop. the truck has some greeat strong points - great looks, will more than likely be priced between a rav4 and a 4runner, great off road performance, you should have seen the video they showed us, and will more than likely get great mileage. more to follow in next post.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
however the truck's also got some serious problems -

getting in or out of the back seat is difficult since the space is sooooooo tight. you gotta have the front seats all the way forward. duck you head or else you will hit your head on the low door clearance.

i would not want to ride around the block in the back seat with 2 other back seat passengers. it's just too cramped. the center passenger has nowhere to put their feet. you have to stradle the front console. then when it's time to get out this center passenger has to twist one foot to get it around that console.

it's next to impossible for a back seat passenger to shut a rear door. the rear doors have no door grab handles and the doors open out quite a bit. so you gotta stretch way out and grab the drink holder compartment and try to shut it with that. more to follow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can relate to the difficulty in getting into the rear ( actually my passengers ). I own a full size Bronco and a '83 BMW 320i. It's not my problem really though. If the passengers can't get in, they're not riding with me. MuahaHahahaha! ( evil laugh )However, I don't have the cramped back seat in my Bronco. It's as spacious as a twin sized bed!

Please, fill us in on some more details when you get the time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
**** aol sucks. this is like my 5th attempt to give ya'll info. anyway the blind spot is hugemongous. i was in the drivers seat and some guy sat in the back seat on the passenger side. his head filled up the rear most window. the rear door window is useless. it's so high you can't see anything out of it. so you look in the rear view mirror and try to see thru 3 heads. ok to you are stuck looking out of just the side window. hope you don't sideswipe anyone. get full comverage insurance. you may need it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sixth or seventh try. did i say aol sucks. anyway with the rear headrest down it feels like your head is being puched forward. so you raise it. now this passenger gets out and leaves the head rest up. the raised head rest now fills up the rearmost side window and you again can't see out of it. the car has no map lights anywere, not even on the rear view window. the carpeting needs something to hold them in place. they were contsantly sliding around due to the slick rubber flooring. yes the black cherry one had been wrecked. the rear passenger side door squeked when opening it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the fj on a big rock on the rubicon trail was stuck. i asked the driver. on the roof rack there will be cross bars you can add that you can put far forward so you can carry a surfboard or kayak. i could not get info on the bfg at's. they were clueless about the tiires. sorry. it did have a good bit of luggage space. i was surprised at this.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry folks i keep getting thrown off line by damn aol. did i say they suck. anyway under the rear is some small box that i supose could be moved. i saw toyotommy there and got him to take some shots of these. not certain if he's posted this picture yet. anyway there is some beams that run fron to rear. i'm not an engineer so i don't know if you could put a storage compartment from the cargo area and not mess up the structural integrity of the truck. could not get info on the bfg a/t's. sorry but the reps i talked to were clueless.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the side mirror lights are on whever the headlights or driveing lights are on. they burh a light white color and don't blink with the turn signals. cheap thrils. i wound't pay for them. could not find out about the daytime running lights. sorry. the rear sonar can be turned off if you don't want to use it. the tilt wheel goes up and down quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Yo yoyoyo, sorry you have to use AOL. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Thanks for the report(s). So was the front leg room ok for you?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
front leg room was ok. not fantastic. if you're tall and in the paggenger seat you may have a hard time opening up the golve box. i've typed these post soooooo many time and hit the post button and gone off line. i'm sooooo pissed with aol i change carriers tomorrow.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they said delivery late march and i believe them. i spoke with pat from spector off road. i think she's got some inside scoop. she said they are building the trucks now. however they don't have enough built to start shipping them and they are not geared up for full time max production. to my surprise there was a lot of luggage room. they show the trucks in vegas next.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the tilt goes up and down quite a bit. i was surprised at the cargo area. lots of room for luggage. finally the materials looked like the toys that come in cracker jack boxes. this 'cheap' made truck should not command a high price. perhaps this is why they call theirselves 'toy'ota. sorry guys. i know u love toyota. but they failed big time in their poor choice of materials.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
finally let me say how sorry i am for the ramblin' posts and for so many posts. it's taken me close to 2 hours to get all this info to you thanks to aol. i just wanted u all to have as much info as possible so u can make an informed decission. me, i gonna have to pass on the fj. my two teenage daughters would never want to ride in the back for long. i think i'm gonna have to check out a durango or pathfinder or something else. good luck with it guys and gals. and happy trails. regards, philip

·
Registered
99 Posts
omg. change your isp immediately!

from what you're saying, it seems best to consider the fj a two-door suv. from the sounds of it(and the pix) the access is tighter than even that of the element.

whatever you do, don't go with the durango! why not the 4runner if you need more room/better access? i'd take it over the pathfinder.

thanks for the great post(s).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
john.com said:
omg. change your isp immediately!

from what you're saying, it seems best to consider the fj a two-door suv. from the sounds of it(and the pix) the access is tighter than even that of the element.

whatever you do, don't go with the durango! why not the 4runner if you need more room/better access? i'd take it over the pathfinder.

thanks for the great post(s).
don't know what an isp is is. anyway i'm back to square one and will check out all suv's incudeing the 4runner. i like to drive in the summer with all windows down or open. it's not so great on a rear hatch to leave the window open. and i think the 4runner windown rolls down, a serious plus. my pleasure to provide the posts. a royal pain in the ass but still a pleasure to help out all in need of info.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It definitely seems like a single person's truck. yay! At least this will confuse the soccer moms, but not the really hungry and determined ones...

I can't wait to check it out in person at the L.A. Auto Show.

·
Registered
99 Posts
yoyoyo said:
don't know what an isp is is. anyway i'm back to square one and will check out all suv's incudeing the 4runner. i like to drive in the summer with all windows down or open. it's not so great on a rear hatch to leave the window open. and i think the 4runner windown rolls down, a serious plus. my pleasure to provide the posts. a royal pain in the ass but still a pleasure to help out all in need of info.
yeomans work to go through what you did to get the information to us.

isp...internet service provider.

cheers!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
a few missing items -

you can get opional arm rest for the front passenger. toyotommy has pictures posted. the back seats can be removed rather easily. and there is a wire in the tube going from the frame of the truck to the rear door. i squeezed it and felt the wire. i grilled the reps what the wire was for. one rep tried to get me believe that it was for a seatbelt tensioner. they work on forward force when you slam the brakes, nothing electrical about em. i still think they may be for surprise roll down rear windows. would be a nice surprise for all u single guys.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Yo yoyoyo yoyoy yoyyoyo yoyoyo,
Thanks again for providing this information. We know many people had to die so that you could get it to us. The FJC is definitely not for everyone. I have two teenage daughters too but I'm getting an FJC anyway. We'll use my wife's Highlander for longer journeys with a full crew. I'm actually glad it doesn't meet your requirements because if it did it would meet a lot of other peoples requirements too and not be what it is. Good luck with whatever you decide on. Let us know.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts