Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
The quality of components does sound a little disappointing. I can live with 2.5 doors since I only have 2 now. I didn't know what I would replace my 4-runner with; and now, I'm still not sure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
yoyoyo said:
and there is a wire in the tube going from the frame of the truck to the rear door. i squeezed it and felt the wire. i grilled the reps what the wire was for. one rep tried to get me believe that it was for a seatbelt tensioner. they work on forward force when you slam the brakes, nothing electrical about em. i still think they may be for surprise roll down rear windows. would be a nice surprise for all u single guys.
Actually, the pretensioner is fired electrically in conjunction with the airbags in an accident to tighten the belt and limit your body movement, keeping you at a safe distance from the firing airbag. Keep wishing for the roll down windows; I don't think it's going to happen unless they redesign the inner door. Kind of a bummer really; I like to roll the rear window down a bit when I have the front down to cut down on the annoying wind buffeting.

Jason

·
Registered
87 Posts
From the photos it looks as if the cupholders have taken up the space required for a roll-down window mechanism. Even a manual crank I can live with-Toyota, are you listening?
:mad:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
chaz said:
From the photos it looks as if the cupholders have taken up the space required for a roll-down window mechanism. Even a manual crank I can live with-Toyota, are you listening?
:mad:
take a close look at the pictures of the original concept truck, way back in the chicago show. on the front windows you will see manual windown crank handles. the same handles were shown on the back doors. somewhre along the way i think toyota decided to can the idea of roll down back windows. total stupidity in my opinion. i think a lot of folks will not buy the truck because of this. i've told toyota my opinion. everyone else should also tell them not to be sooooooo stupid.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
air said:
it looks like a good quality vehicle. why is everyone knocking the quality?

though i was surprised, in the pictures, to see how dirty the cherry car was inside.
they had 2 black cherry cars there yesterday. one ws parked in the grass, hence all the dirt and grass that got inside.

·
Registered
87 Posts
yoyoyo said:
take a close look at the pictures of the original concept truck, way back in the chicago show. on the front windows you will see manual windown crank handles. the same handles were shown on the back doors. somewhre along the way i think toyota decided to can the idea of roll down back windows. total stupidity in my opinion. i think a lot of folks will not buy the truck because of this. i've told toyota my opinion. everyone else should also tell them not to be sooooooo stupid.
Maybe it's America's obsession with cupholders. ;)

I would much rather have an operable window...

Be well,
chaz

·
Registered
44 Posts
air said:

though i was surprised, in the pictures, to see how dirty the cherry car was inside.

Is it safe to say then that the cherry was already popped on that FJ?

I have to correct myself from my earlier post. It's not only a single person's truck, it carries a dual purpose for those that are wed as an escape from the harshness of....dun dun dun.................a minivan.

·
Registered
88 Posts
air said:
After hearing the history of it all, you kinda have this vision of "tough solid metal, & adventure". Plastic is a bit of a turn off, but truthfully, not all that much different than mine or any other truck now a days.

·
Registered
378 Posts
yoyoyo said:

yoyoyoyoyoyo !!!

Thanks for the report.!!!! If you get any negative feedback from anyone on here, don't worry about it. You were just the messenger telling us some things we didn't want to hear !!! I have been watching this vehicle since it's debut in Chicago and have been wating to hear some of the cons ....

Some might say the backseat is not an issue. i know I wouldn't have thought twice about it when I was 23 and single...
But now I'm 33, starting a family and these are little things that I have to think of...
Oh well, can't make a descision til I actually drive it !!! :eek:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the info yoyoyo. Really appreciate the report.

But maybe it's not your ISP that's bouncing you. Maybe it's Toyota inforcing their information embargo. Big brother lives!

-------

Wish Toyota would put the length back in that they took out from the 4R. Use it for the back seats and put in real doors with real windows that go up and down. And put in a dam sun roof too!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
i tell you what's gonna happen if toyota prices it between the rav4 and the 4runner. and that's where i think it will be priced. folks that want a rav4 will pay a few extra dollars for a fj. folks that want a 4runner will spend a few less dollars on a fj. everyone buys the fj. and before ya know it toyota will have a hard time selling rav4's and 4runners. that's when i may take them up on a deal on a 4runner. you fj nuts can have my fj. hope that makes ya'll happy campers, at least one of ya.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You're a good person yoyoyo. Sacrificing your selfish desires so that one of us will experience the FJ. Are you one of the 144,000?

I wish it would've worked out for you, but it seems a 4 door is what you're after. Have you checked out the new Xterra's? They have a pretty stout V6 in them and they've made some refinements.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was at the Greenville event too, but I came away with a much better impression of the Cruiser that Yoyoyo did. If you're interested, you can read my review under the "See the FJ Cruiser in person - Greenville, SC / Dec 17th" thread on the "Toyota FJ Cruiser News" portion of the site.

·
Registered
181 Posts
yoyoyo said:
i tell you what's gonna happen if toyota prices it between the rav4 and the 4runner. and that's where i think it will be priced. folks that want a rav4 will pay a few extra dollars for a fj. folks that want a 4runner will spend a few less dollars on a fj. everyone buys the fj. and before ya know it toyota will have a hard time selling rav4's and 4runners. that's when i may take them up on a deal on a 4runner. you fj nuts can have my fj. hope that makes ya'll happy campers, at least one of ya.
Believe me you will not be unhappy with a new 4Runner. I can't say enough good things about it. IMO nothing comes even remotely close to the 4Runner in its' class. I have a V8 Sport and I am going to have a hard time giving up on the fj, but if the fj comes in a convertable it's gone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
yoyoyo said:
the tilt goes up and down quite a bit. i was surprised at the cargo area. lots of room for luggage. finally the materials looked like the toys that come in cracker jack boxes. this 'cheap' made truck should not command a high price. perhaps this is why they call theirselves 'toy'ota. sorry guys. i know u love toyota. but they failed big time in their poor choice of materials.
Like yoyoyo, the "quality" of materials on the vehicles presented to us was WAAAYYYY off for a Toyota. Hopefully this is pre-prodcution trait. I have some closeups of the door panel and and exterior trim in my gallery. I took my fingernail and with little pressure could scar the exterior trim.

For an event this nice, I would have hoped to see a vehicle that is production or at least very close. The interior panels should have had disclaimer notes posted if not the real deal. Have to wait and see...

I just have to face the fact that this vehicle is not intented as a four-person trailmaker/soccer practice/grocery getter. Looking at the video presented and how this car is being marketed, it is purely intended for the off-road enthusiast but still allows comfort for two with modern day conveniences and reliability. This is not a dressed up 4Runner/Tacoma, but built for a specific purpose.

Basically, the FJ is more serious than I thought and I applaud Toyota for making the effort. For me with small kids and car seats to deal with, probably go with the 4Runner for now.

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
one of the tags on the truck somewhere in the mass of photos said "FJ Cruiser Prototype." I think that right there is a disclaimer that they're not done yet. I'm sure the interior panels won't be shiny like this when it comes out...

ps you intentionally SCATCHED a beloved FJ Cruiser????? :mad: :eek:

:D

21 - 40 of 51 Posts