Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
toyotommy said:
Like yoyoyo, the "quality" of materials on the vehicles presented to us was WAAAYYYY off for a Toyota. Hopefully this is pre-prodcution trait. I have some closeups of the door panel and and exterior trim in my gallery. I took my fingernail and with little pressure could scar the exterior trim.

For an event this nice, I would have hoped to see a vehicle that is production or at least very close. The interior panels should have had disclaimer notes posted if not the real deal. Have to wait and see...

I just have to face the fact that this vehicle is not intented as a four-person trailmaker/soccer practice/grocery getter. Looking at the video presented and how this car is being marketed, it is purely intended for the off-road enthusiast but still allows comfort for two with modern day conveniences and reliability. This is not a dressed up 4Runner/Tacoma, but built for a specific purpose.

Basically, the FJ is more serious than I thought and I applaud Toyota for making the effort. For me with small kids and car seats to deal with, probably go with the 4Runner for now.

ill be evaluating the thing for morning cartage duties for 2 1st graders....if it passes that test im buying one.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
ToyBox said:
Believe me you will not be unhappy with a new 4Runner. I can't say enough good things about it. IMO nothing comes even remotely close to the 4Runner in its' class. I have a V8 Sport and I am going to have a hard time giving up on the fj, but if the fj comes in a convertable it's gone.
thanks for the suggestion. i'm gonna wait and check out the 4 door wrangler when it comes out. the wrangler has always been great.

·
Registered
181 Posts
yoyoyo said:
thanks for the suggestion. i'm gonna wait and check out the 4 door wrangler when it comes out. the wrangler has always been great.

While the Wrangler may not have the blind spot I don't think the quality of the materials they put in a Wrangler are very good. (yes I have owned one) And the ride is not that good at all. Maybe with the longer wheelbase it will be better but I guess it will only be marginally better.

It will be convertable though which is awesome.

Good luck with whatever you get though.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
First off, thanks for the report. It is always nice to get another opinion even if it is not one that is shared by myself.

I would argue at least three of the points you made here about there not being enough leg room in the back. I sat in it at the SEMA show and felt there was PLENTY of legroom. Especially if you are only toting 1st graders. You might have an issue if you were carrying NBA starts to and from games, but this is no tour bus.

I felt it was an awesome vehicle. If you already know you need a minivan, then no, this is probably not for you. If you want to take your buddies and your girl camping. This will definitely do the job.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Percy said:
First off, thanks for the report. It is always nice to get another opinion even if it is not one that is shared by myself.

I would argue at least three of the points you made here about there not being enough leg room in the back. I sat in it at the SEMA show and felt there was PLENTY of legroom. Especially if you are only toting 1st graders. You might have an issue if you were carrying NBA starts to and from games, but this is no tour bus.

I felt it was an awesome vehicle. If you already know you need a minivan, then no, this is probably not for you. If you want to take your buddies and your girl camping. This will definitely do the job.
im selling a minivan to get this truck (pending evaluation at the LA show). wife has a crv and we both know we dont need and never use the third seat in the minivan. so, boom, goodbye minivan - welcome back testosterone - ive missed you!!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Isn't it great to let that sack drop again?! Everyday when I get to work, I see this picture of this big manly truck and think to myself, "soon... soon it will be mine, mine all mine..." It's enough motivation to help me make it through the day. Soon enough, it will be the reason I take sick days.

Come on Toyota - release the fury - give us our FJ's... NOW!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Did I mention I was wrong and yoyo was right? But to be honest the point was...you got a source...say it. This is like high school...and if you got some scoop it is going to lend to the validity of everything you say....if you got your bibliography in order.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
We are all wrong once in awhile... it happens.

We still have more REAL information than anyone else on the planet when it comes to the FJ. Even if we get our wires crossed on occassion.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bostonian1976 said:
one of the tags on the truck somewhere in the mass of photos said "FJ Cruiser Prototype." I think that right there is a disclaimer that they're not done yet. I'm sure the interior panels won't be shiny like this when it comes out...

ps you intentionally SCATCHED a beloved FJ Cruiser????? :mad: :eek:

:D
Well, only by accident at first :eek:

But what can I say, that FJ had to take one for the team ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
YOYO, just remember the 4 door Wrangler only sits 4 people. Not an option with my 3 kids unless I strap one of car seats to the rollbar...Hey wait a minute, is there an aftermarket for that?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
MDCruiser said:
YOYO, just remember the 4 door Wrangler only sits 4 people. Not an option with my 3 kids unless I strap one of car seats to the rollbar...Hey wait a minute, is there an aftermarket for that?
not so certain it will only seat 4. i just spoke with a dealer. someone there saw the truck last week. he's out today. i'll find out the whole scoop, or as much as i can tomorrow and will let you know. just in case you're interested. my 'kids' are 15 and 18 now so i don't have to worry about car seats anymore. been there, done that. it's the guys hungry for sex that i gotta worry about.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts