Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my recent vacation I was driving through Nevada when I had a bit of a run in with a hail storm.

I was cruising at about 80 (the speed limit on Highway 80 through Nevada is 75 and most drive at 85) when the sky grew dark and bolts of lightening started flashing around me. It started to rain and then hail the size of marbles started pelting my FJ. (I’m not exaggerating – the hail was the diameter of a nickel!) It really came down and was hitting my FJ HARD and I thought it would break my windshield. I immediately pulled over and stopped and that helped quite a bit to lessen the impact. But it still came on hard and I have terrible visions of a ruined paint job.

When the hail finally ended I checked things out and there was no damage to my FJ. Stopping really helped reduce the impact. Like I said, the hail was hitting my windshield very, very hard and I don't know how it held together until I stopped.

It was a magnificent storm and I have to admit it had me enthralled. But I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn’t been worrying about my truck!

Anyway, if you get caught in a storm with BIG hail my experience shows me that pulling over and stopping lightens the impact quite a bit. That's not a great revelation, and I'm certainly not a Rhodes Scholar because of it, but please keep it in mind if this ever happens to you.

Take care!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Great post. I encountered the same thing one night in my FJ! I couldnt believe it either! Great surprise huh????

No doubt it made you love your truck more :rocker:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Nice info to know!:bigthumb: Always good to know that the FJ can take a beating!!:rocker:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice info to know!:bigthumb: Always good to know that the FJ can take a beating!!:rocker:
Ha! Mine took a $7000 beating in a hail storm, :mecry: it was kinda dimpled at the end of it. The windshield did fare well though.:)

Postee

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
I know what you mean. I narrowly missed being hit by a tornado in my Silverado a couple of years ago. I was scared sh!tless. I have never felt a vehicle get thrown around like that before and, yes, I have lots of hail dents from quarter plus sized hail.

·
Registered
499 Posts
the windshield being so straight up makes sense that it wouldn't be damaged by hail coming straight down.

glad to hear you didn't have any damage, i was on the edge of my seat to hear the fj was destroyed by hail. i like this ending better :p

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Ha! You should try driving along I-10 through North Florida cattle country in July. The flies are like hail! There were a couple of swarms I ran through last summer where I was sure my windshield was going to either shatter or pop out and land in my lap.
Problem with THIS storm is you have to clean it off afterward! Gross:mecry:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ha! You should try driving along I-10 through North Florida cattle country in July. The flies are like hail! There were a couple of swarms I ran through last summer where I was sure my windshield was going to either shatter or pop out and land in my lap.
Problem with THIS storm is you have to clean it off afterward! Gross:mecry:
Obviously spoken by someone that has never experience HAIL!!! If it's big enough....... slowing down isn't an option because you had to slow down way before that due to the lack of visability caused by hail big enough to do damage. The only option you have in a real hail storm is to find cover under a bridge and there's nothing worse than to find that bridge and so many other cars are pulled under it before you that you may not be able to get a protected spot. Your so desperate you will even hit the gas, if you can see well enough, to get to the bridge. Sorry to ramble but real hail does nothing more than kick your survival instincts into action cause it scares the hail:clap: out of you!! Apex you havn't even come close buddy:flame: VOO

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Did you check out your rear view mirror for a tornado before you pulled over?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Did you check out your rear view mirror for a tornado before you pulled over?
Last thing I was worried about was my rear view I was busy hitting the gas to make the bridge and ducking cause I swore my T top glass was going to break. It didn't but I did end up with dings allover the hood and trunk. Car was four months old. I was sick for a week over that.:mecry:

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Obviously spoken by someone that has never experience HAIL!!! If it's big enough....... slowing down isn't an option because you had to slow down way before that due to the lack of visability caused by hail big enough to do damage. The only option you have in a real hail storm is to find cover under a bridge and there's nothing worse than to find that bridge and so many other cars are pulled under it before you that you may not be able to get a protected spot. Your so desperate you will even hit the gas, if you can see well enough, to get to the bridge. Sorry to ramble but real hail does nothing more than kick your survival instincts into action cause it scares the hail:clap: out of you!! Apex you havn't even come close buddy:flame: VOO
Oh yes I have, the golf ball stuff that sent my old Saturn to the bodyshop less than six months into ownership. Replaced many body panels and wind shield. I had to change out my drawers after that. Once we got hail the size of dimes while doing a cross country motorcycle trip along Route 50. No cover, just had to pull over and take it.
Bug post was in jest. It just reminds me of that sound when it first starts.:lol:

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
So glad your truck held up well.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
My FJ just weathered a tornado! Well, not directly, but I live in SW OK and we had 3 confirmed/unconfirmed depending on who you ask and my FJ was parked on and Air Force base where winds were upwards of 90 mph with blowing debris and hail. I sat in the entry to a building watching the storm and just saw my poor FJ sitting in the parking lot taking a pounding.

When the rain was quiet for a minute I went outside and not a single ding, then I saw the funnel cloud forming overhead and went back inside. The base was without power for 72 hours, thankfully I live offbase and had power back within 24 hrs, but there as a lot of damage to the town and base. My family and my FJ were both VERY lucky!

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Last thing I was worried about was my rear view I was busy hitting the gas to make the bridge and ducking cause I swore my T top glass was going to break. It didn't but I did end up with dings allover the hood and trunk. Car was four months old. I was sick for a week over that.:mecry:
When I lived in Atlanta I used to drive a RX7 Turbo II that was hammered in a hail storm and looked like a golf ball afterwards : (
I theorized that it made it more aerodynamic and I modded it with a 12 pound HKS Turbo and Cold Air intake.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I had nickel sized hail fall on me today when I was just a 1/4 mile form home. My immediate reaction was to pull it over. But then realized I needed cover for my beloved FJ. So with the blinkers on I crept home and parked under the tree in the yard. I haven't found any dimples yet so I think it all turned out alright. I guess this thing is pretty tough.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts