Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I’ve been a lurker here for some time now but I just now decided to make an account and share my latest purchase with you.
It’s a 2007 4wd FJ cruiser that had 155,xxx on the clock when I bought it. It has a factory roof rack, rear diff lock and A-trac. It had seen off-road a little before I got ahold of it, and came with a few parts already installed. Here are some pictures of the day I brought it home.
8AFDB9D4-CE56-4F5B-9BFD-3349FB434DAB.jpeg

I got a good deal on it, so I sold my 80 series to a friend and picked it up the next day. It had a few small problems that were largely cosmetic, but this didn’t bother me because I’m an enthusiast detailer and I was keen to get to work on correcting the fj’s dull black paint.

This wasn’t a perfect result, I didn’t have any wetsanding blocks with me, I’ll have to come back to this at a later time and knock it down smooth again.

The hood was the worst overall, I don’t think this poor FJ ever got a proper clay bar and wax in its life. It took about 18 hours total to correct the paint from top to bottom and the final result was a much slicker and shinier FJ than before.

I’ll make another post today describing my goals with the rig, and some other maintenance things I’ve done since I bought it:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So my goals with the truck are as follows;

1. to have a reliable means of daily transportation, hence why I picked the FJ cruiser!

2. to have a capable vehicle that can go anywhere I’d need to go when exploring places to camp.

3. have a a simple rig to work on and learn, for me working on the vehicle is half the fun! I have a background in working on sports cars, so I have a good idea of how to work on my own vehicles.

I work in the parts department of my local toyota store, so I get great deals on all toyota parts/fluids/accessories. So far, I have replaced all of these parts with toyota genuine;
-engine and cabin air filter
-spark plugs
-I’ve performed 2 oil changes (one when I bought it, and one after 5000 miles)
-all the driveline fluids changed out (the rear diff fluid was BAD, see picture below)
-coolant flush (will end up doing this again soon when I replace the thermostat)

and also, I’ve added some off-road mods!

So the differences you see in the picture are front Bilstein 5100’s set on the 3rd notch, Achilles desert runner M/T’s in 285/70r17 (these have been great!), and the fender flare removal.

This is where the rig sits as of today. Soon I’ll be flushing the transmission, getting rear 5100’s and some lift springs (haven’t decided yet), buy and install a winch, and by that time it’ll be ready for another oil change!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome. Looks like your FJ has found a loving caring home and will rrward you with many years of good service. Quite a different beast from you 80.
Yes I agree, I miss my 80 but I don’t regret moving into my FJ! Thank you :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picked up a can of spray bed liner yesterday to coat my mirrors. They were terribly faded and looked awful.

matter masking everything off they got about 5 coats each and the result is better than I was hoping for! No more junky looking silver!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nice job brother! Paint looks nice and deep, mirrors turned out great. For me it's the small little detail upgrades. The do it yourself maintenance is what I enjoy learning, and get a good sense of accomplishment afterwards
Enjoy, good job

1 - 6 of 6 Posts