Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So about 2 months ago I came a cross an NSSE sitting on a local lot.Had to have it, so I traded in my '08 Brick. Got a good price I think (under 31k with their add-ons inc) and got about 2k more than I thought I would for my trade.

The solid green and black trim/wheels just really caught my eye. All was well - for a short time (about 24 hours). Then I started focusing on the 'chromey' stuff that, in my opinion, just didn't fit the vehicle color scheme. Ya know, all the chrome badging on the back door, the silver painted logo on the grill, the chrome lug nuts (WTF's up with that?) After focusing in on all those even the lead colored wheel weights bugged me along with the metal color valve stems.

So after a day or so of mulling it over - I started in:

First thing to go was the chrome badging on the back door

From this:
[/IMG]

To this:
[/IMG]

Ah ha......progress. Then I removed the chrome lug nuts and replaced them with Gorillas I ordered from Wheelers Offroad with 5 locks.

From this
[/IMG]

To this
[/IMG]
And while I was at it I painted the wheel weights & valve stems flat black.

After that I moved to the interior - Got rid of the rubber shift knobs
and went to these from Joel over at Ellis
[/IMG]

Then added the handheld Midland CB mod & 12v outlet to the center console
[/IMG]

Followed immediately by the obligatory Bandi mount
[/IMG]

Then back to the outside stuff - painted the tow shackle & touched up the receiver
[/IMG]

My final 'adjustment' was the silver Toyota badge on the front grille. After installing my NWFJCC badge I just couldn't stand it, so I removed the entire bezel, snapped off/drilled out the plastic nubs holding it in place and proceeded to prep & paint it with touch-up paint (paint code 6V7) & moved the NWFJCC badge to the driver's side

From this
[/IMG]

To this
[/IMG]

Tah Dah!!!!!!!!!!!! The silver/chrome is gone.

Oh oh, edit time..........I forgot to mention that somewhere along the line I managed to install some WeatherTec "In Channel" window visors. :)

Jerry:cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
^^^ yep... with the addition of a little green.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
Then added the handheld Midland CB mod & 12v outlet to the center console
I have this radio but I'm just using it as a handheld so far, how happy are you with it actually mounted in the vehicle? How is the reception/performance?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Capt said: "with the addition of a little green".

Definitely, it's not all that hard being green.

Hugo said: ".....love your rig, its awesome!"

Thanks Hugo - I'm workin' on it.

Wikid said: "It always seems to be the little things, that impact us"

It's always in the details, isn't it? Thanks Wikid.

Jimmy-Buffet asks: "I have this radio but I'm just using it as a handheld so far, how happy are you with it actually mounted in the vehicle? How is the reception/performance?"

I'm totally satisfied, but I got it for one reason only - on the trail with a group. Not long distance, like 5-10 -15 miles. It works perfect for my intended use, but have never tried it for long range communication. Alot of that depends on your whip, and the placement of it. I use a Bandi - left rear corner - not ideal for long distance signal. All in all I'd say I get 3-5 miles out of it in mountainous terrain. Plus the capability of using it as a handheld for "out-of-vehicle" such as spotting etc.

Jerry :cheers:

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Rigs looking good.
I really dig the AG Toyota logo.

:cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts