Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

My switch from Duratracs to Exo-Grapplers

16K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Thorn661 
#1 ·
Duratracs are ****ing annoying. Religious 7000 mile 5 tire rotation/balance and I just cannot believe how bad they were compared to the new Exo Grapplers. I went from a load range D Duratrac to a load range E Exo Grappler and I was cringing when I pulled out of the Discount Tire parking lot expecting to be pissing blood by the time I got home but nope...smooth as butter.

These tires have the rolling resistance of a 60psi tire but feel like they're running at 20PSI all while running at 40PSI. I can't say the unsprung weight made much of a difference because the FN FX pros are lighter than the factory steel wheels but the Exo grapplers are heavier than the Duratracs so it should be a wash.

If you're considering making the switch for nothing more than onroad behavior...it's no contest. I will be making a full report after running the Alcan5000 rally next week which will be about 8-10,000 miles in two weeks with my driving from SLC to the start in washington, on through canada to Fairbanks and Anchorage then driving home the long way to SLC. I also plan on punishing these wheels and tires at EJS and beyond.

Apologies for not putting the center caps on for the picture FN Wheels...they look even better with the caps on!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
So what was your main complaint about the Duratracs?
I am running 285/75/16 E Rated Duratracs and have zero issues with them on-road, offroad or in snow.
I would definitely buy them again.
I did consider the exo's very briefly when I was looking for new tires but they didn't come in 285/75/16.
Good looking tread pattern on them.

#6 ·
From what I understand these tires are aimed at the duratrac market. The tread blocks are slightly tighter but they're plenty aggressive. I'll be putting these to the test because I had no complaints offroad with the duratracs. The noise of the duratracs at ~40k miles was significant. I couldn't believe how quiet the exo grapplers were on the freeway and around town. Steering is lighter and they seem to track down the road better without following seams in the pavement. I liked the duratracs, they looked aggressive but they were annoyingly loud.

I also like that the tread blocks on the exo grapplers go all the way to the carcass instead of the duratracs having areas between the tread blocks that will hit the pavement early on the tread life.

#10 ·
Great looking FJ. Thanks for posting up your experience with the Nitto EXO Grappler AWT tires.

I have been running them on my 1 ton Dodge for about a year and a half. As you mentioned they ride super smooth.

I have also used them off road some and they have not let me down, even pulling a 26 foot toy hauler loaded out of some camp spots way back in the forest after 2 days of pouring rain.

#11 ·
Looking at a set of Duratracs for the next set of tires, but will keep an eye on these as well. They are priced very close (actuall a bit cheaper than the DT's) at DiscountTires Direct...

Subscribed--looking forward to the updated reviews.

#12 ·
So to follow up...I ran the Exo Grapplers for 20K miles before I sold them with the rims to a buddy of mine. I am now on Ridge Grapplers and they are the best tires I have ever owned...ridiculously quiet with fantastic traction...I will never mess with goodyear or BFG ever again until they throw some serious R&D at making a quiet tire. Ridge Grapplers make barely more noise than my work truck Goodyear Silent Armors...unreal!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.