Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this started as my wife's idea to put this where it ended up. I'm glad she thought of it. What I did was take the cover for the rearview mirror screws off, and drill a 5/8" hole (had to round it out alittle bit more). The I took the bracket that came with the Tomtom, and sawed it off right in front of the suction cup part(actually I did that first). Anyway, I put the together, and sprayed some glue on the back of it.

and inside the cruiser

The other nice thing is you really can't see it from the outside, other that the wire hanging down but that will disappear this weekend

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Nice install. I like it...

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
looks clean, but is it sturdy? seems like a hard jolt may cause the gps to break off at the mount.

also, how's the line of sight as far as looking at the gps and still keeping an eye on the road? looks like it angles too far away versus an in dash or on the dash setup.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks clean, but is it sturdy? seems like a hard jolt may cause the gps to break off at the mount.

also, how's the line of sight as far as looking at the gps and still keeping an eye on the road? looks like it angles too far away versus an in dash or on the dash setup.
Very sturdy to the point when I try to take the unit from the mount, it pulls the rearview mirror cover off. It's easy to read and operate there too, I thought that was going to be a problem as well, but it's not.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Here is my 8 dollar GPS solution. I don't know if any one else has done this, but I installed a radio shack 12V plug in the top glove box and I just set my Tom Tom 710 in it. It fits well and doesn't slide. I only issue is that it will not close with the unit in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I like this one.

Monkey.
The grumpy guy on his way to work. You can just see the collar of the ugly orange shirts we have to wear. It's nice when your fat or is that fluffy now? and you look like a pumpkin with a black stripe :boohoo:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The grumpy guy on his way to work. You can just see the collar of the ugly orange shirts we have to wear. It's nice when your fat or is that fluffy now? and you look like a pumpkin with a black stripe :boohoo:
Dont be so hard on your self. I was poking at the fun that 1. You were probably fiddling with your new GPS and 2. Taking the time to snap a pic with your camera phone. All while you are driving.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Nice Install, I will keep it in mind... :bigthumb:...

Subscribed....

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Nice install for the TomTom. What's good about this is that you could probably do the same for the various OTHER brands of GPSr's as well!

Rep points fer shure!

Mike

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice install. How is the reception? When I tried to mount my Tom Tom high on my Audi A4's windshield, I would often have trouble picking up enough satellites. Moving it to the lower portion of the windshield gave the unit much better access to open sky, resulting in better reception/coverage.

I see in the picture that you have 4 bars - so maybe it's not an issue for you.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I like it! Was thinking of doing something similar for mounting an XM Express RC Radio in the samew spot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pa-Jugalo- Great Idea! I just got a Nuvi650 through Costco for $299.Works out that I can slide the mirror cover off and using screws I can mount the frame of the suction disk to the mirror cover and slide the cover back on. I got lucky in that I can use screws:) .
Thanks,
Marc

1 - 20 of 60 Posts