Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Our Utah Adventure continues. Dome Plateau Part 2 is now live. This starts our day at the beginning of the trail so we have left pavement and we wind up in a very cool area with fall color, ledges and just sheer gorgeousness. I hope you like it enough to comment, share, and subscribe. The video is at

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just posted my newest installment of my Utah adventure. This video takes us from the canyon, up to a fantastic arch, into a nightmare river bed and onward to the caves where you will be turned upside down and inside out! You must watch it all to understand! Your comments, thumbs up and shares and subscriptions help me to continue to bring you this great content. Please check it out at

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This weeks Utah adventure video is now published. This one is flying around the caves where we had lunch and if you stick with the video to the end, you will see some explosive action! This is one of those videos you cannot afford to miss and you will even feel better at the end of it. So please watch it at
and tell me what you think as I believe it is quite good and in some cases, breath taking. Please share the video, give me a thumbs up and most of all if you haven't, please subscribe!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
In this video we finish up Dome Plateau, see some old miners cabins and see a huge stand of trees dressed in fall color. We drive back out scenic byway 128 with the sunsetting and capture some gorgeous photos and video. I then recap the day's images so you can relive the entire day, (5 videos) to finish out an extraordinary day we had! I sincerely hope you have enjoyed the video and images and if you have not, please subscribe to keep up with all that I do as we have a LOT more still to come from this trip. I appreciate any shares, thumbs up and comments I get. Let me know if you have any question. Day 3 will start next Saturday 1-11-15 and it too promises to be fantastic! You can view the video at

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
In this video we begin our day early and catch the first rays of pink, orange, blue in the sky. We drive to Canyonlands National Park and quickly are immersed into the huge rocks and magnificent landscape! We descend into canyon and see many high cliffs spiral above us. We catch up with a family of mountain sheep and spend a good deal of time with them. We continue our way down until we reach the balanced rock. This area is full of life and vibrancy. If you enjoy it half as much as I have and do, you will love it! http://youtu.be/3mFvRTAxB-o

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
In this video we continue down Shafer trail starting at the balanced rock area and looking out through the distant road that lies between us and the unknown! Once we get to the bottom, we make a left and soon run into what appears to be a double Thor's hammer! As we go on, we run into colors and textures that I think are just amazing. The cliffs and boulders are simply enormous. This is the definition of the west. We end up at a steep drop off. What could be down there? we will answer that in next weeks video. As you will see and hear, I believe this was a beautiful day! http://youtu.be/PBf1H64-Isk

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I will post my next installment tomorrow night. That one will take us out of Canyonlands National park and into our next destination! Please catch up if you haven't so you are up to date for more excitement.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
In this video we begin at the gooseneck of the Colorado River in Canyonlands National Park. This was shot on a Gopro Hero 3+ Black edition. It was shot in 4K. Unfortunately, 4K on the 3+ only goes to 15 FPS so the video is quite choppy. You may have noticed that in previous videos in the canyon as they too were shot that way. I now have a Hero 4 black that shoots 4K in 30 FPS and it will be used in the future. Once we leave the gooseneck we begin to make our way back out of the canyon and start our journey back to the top of the rim. If you stick it out, you will find out where we will be next week! The video can be viewed at http://youtu.be/PnHU12kn_tU

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Danny, thanks so much for sharing these videos! I'm planning a trip out this summer (probably Jun 30 thru July 2nd or 3rd) and plan to take some of these trails in Moab but was wondering if I needed an experienced guide or not. Had you done them before you shot these videos? Used a specific trail map? Advice?

I have a modified FJ with a Icon Suspension lift and a front locker so I think the truck shouldn't have any problems, I'm more concerned about getting on a trail that I shouldn't be on : ).

Thanks, Bob Hemrick

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Bob: No, you will not have any issues at all. I simply used the Utah trails book called Guide To Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails. It is the 2nd Edition and I also bought the corresponding GPS maps that go along with the book. They helped get me off Fins & Things that I got trapped on after dark. Those videos will start soon. The trails I did in the book are, trail 7, which is considered difficult. That is bartlett Overlook, just don't try to find the corresponding hidden trail that connects you to trail 5. It is not there and cost us a couple of hours of wandering in the desert! That is another place where the GPS maps helped us. Geyser pass is #43 and it is easy. It is just a country drive with some stunning views. Then we did #37 , Dome Plateau which is considered moderate. That trail is really gorgeous. Try to time it going out 128 early in the morning and come back on it about an hour or so before dark to get some sunset shots that will blow your mind! Then finally, we did Fins & Things which will start in about 2 weeks now and that is trail #33 which is considered difficult. My advice for Fins & things, start EARLY in the day. We started at 3:30 in the afternoon and got stuck on the most dificult part after dark with nothing but regular headlights and I must say, I was quite scared. So start it early, take your time, get lots of images and video and you will have the time of your LIFE! Let me know if i can be of further service.

Danny, thanks so much for sharing these videos! I'm planning a trip out this summer (probably Jun 30 thru July 2nd or 3rd) and plan to take some of these trails in Moab but was wondering if I needed an experienced guide or not. Had you done them before you shot these videos? Used a specific trail map? Advice?

I have a modified FJ with a Icon Suspension lift and a front locker so I think the truck shouldn't have any problems, I'm more concerned about getting on a trail that I shouldn't be on : ).

Thanks, Bob Hemrick

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You have less than 12 hours to catch up with me on my Utah adventure! My next video will post in under 12 hours where I show you a little bit of Dead Horse State Park. To catch the latest installment before tonights new episode debuts, please check it out at

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
In this video we leave Canyonlands National Park and drive over t Dead Horse Point State Park. We enter the park and I show you the first deep canyon you come to by the visitor center. It is deep, long and narrow, not to mention expansive. From here you can see the Colorado River and almost the gooseneck, but that comes later. After I show you some nice images, you will see the gooseneck, almost. The cliffs cut off the head a little bit, but it all looks good. Aster seeing the gooseneck in all of it's glory, we leave the park and head back to Moab. I end the video with a touch of fall color that should help the winter blues I hope.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Thanks for shooting and sharing the trail. You've given me a few new places to visit. Great stuff.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
In this video we begin at the beginning of Fins N Things. It starts off on slick rock. The blue sky and clouds as you will see are just gorgeous on this day. Other videos I have watched seem to only show the slickrock, but you will see through out the course of these videos, that there is a lot of sand on this trail. Notice the extreme angles from the back to the sky and clouds. You will see i had some pretty steep sideways ground to contend with. At about the half way point you will note a distant storm that is threatening. I added a few images of my FJ. Note the flag being straight out showing just how windy it was that day! Listen to my Skidmark 4x4 just screech at around the 10 minute mark! Shows you the extreme angles I was working with here. http://youtu.be/fvI5rhoy0Ig

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Bob: No, you will not have any issues at all. I simply used the Utah trails book called Guide To Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails. It is the 2nd Edition and I also bought the corresponding GPS maps that go along with the book. They helped get me off Fins & Things that I got trapped on after dark. Those videos will start soon. The trails I did in the book are, trail 7, which is considered difficult. That is bartlett Overlook, just don't try to find the corresponding hidden trail that connects you to trail 5. It is not there and cost us a couple of hours of wandering in the desert! That is another place where the GPS maps helped us. Geyser pass is #43 and it is easy. It is just a country drive with some stunning views. Then we did #37 , Dome Plateau which is considered moderate. That trail is really gorgeous. Try to time it going out 128 early in the morning and come back on it about an hour or so before dark to get some sunset shots that will blow your mind! Then finally, we did Fins & Things which will start in about 2 weeks now and that is trail #33 which is considered difficult. My advice for Fins & things, start EARLY in the day. We started at 3:30 in the afternoon and got stuck on the most dificult part after dark with nothing but regular headlights and I must say, I was quite scared. So start it early, take your time, get lots of images and video and you will have the time of your LIFE! Let me know if i can be of further service.
Danny, sounds like great advice! I'll look into the book. Thanks again. Bob

21 - 40 of 49 Posts