Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago.

I had to scour dozens of automatics for every manual.
I had to scours dozens of manuals for every low mileage one.
Most low mileage manuals were already outfitted and beat up off road.
And then finding the latest engine version.

I finally found a 2011 with 60k on it. Road miles only.

It was delivered a few days ago.

I grew up with old school 4 wheeling.
As an adult I had 4th and 5th gen hilux, 2nd gen 4Runner V6, 1st gen XTerra, XJ Cherokee, WJ and WK2 Grand Cherokee, Expedition and excursion experience. Overseas a ton of later hi lux, surf, patrol LC, Prado, etc.

I did not get an FJ when they were new, the tiny gas tank, rear seats, weird doors, etc. were not conducive to four kids and a dog or two vs other options. The kids are all off at college now. It was time for my blank slate. Just me and a malinois and a German Shepard.

I considered finding a much cheaper to buy 04 Discovery II manual, but maintenance would be significant. Also a similar year manual XTerra would have been cheaper. Finding a Toyota at a dealer allows you to buy the 100k/5year platinum warranty. Not cheap but likely to pay for itself.

Options were considered. The right one finally turned up.
It was like my fourth choice color.
There was a small hole or burn in a seat. For some reason the stereo was replaced with an aftermarket Kenwood. But it had the off-road package and rear camera. It oddly had both the big black FJ Cruiser spare tire cover and a body colored spare tire cap (which I am not sure how it secures) but no rear head rests.
For some reason the factory radio was replaced with a Kenwood aftermarket one,
But I had tired of looking.
I bought it and had it delivered and it arrived.

It is a black slate with no brushguards, front bumper/winch, sliders, roof rack or tow.

I look forward to outfitting it one piece at a time.

I will likely do
a winch and headlight guards, or full front bumper with guards.
Sliders with a step.
Roof rack
Ladder
Either factory tow or a rear bumper with tow

Please let me know your favorite of those items.

Me with one of the various overseas vehicles about ten years ago.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Beware once the modding starts it never ends. I have been doing mods to mine now for over 13 years....it never ends :) Congrats on your new toy

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,751 Posts
Congrats! Persistence has paid off :rocker: With your vast automotive knowledge this build will be really fun to watch...hope you start a build thread soon! Full bumper/winch and roofrack are my favorites among the options you posted above - they also allow the most room to grow with least negative side effects :wink You’ll figure it out :wink

·
A-Team Moderator
8,166 Posts
Congrats! :cheers:

Clean slates are the best. My '11 was the same and came with steel wheels. And only a few take-off's to deal with, which promptly went into the trash. :lol:

My favorites are from Expedition One. PureFJ has some great stuff and both are forum Supporting Vendors.

Aloha

·
Admin
6,582 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Lots of options out there...

For a hitch I would go with an OEM one... they're simple and have good ground clearance. Could probably find one at a wrecker for cheap too.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Good buy! It should be a fun toy to build; mine is.

You said Old School - I started remembering the CJ-5 we'd go play with....3 speed, hubs that needed rebuilding so they were a bear to lock/unlock, anything that didn't squeak had fallen off...good times!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, first upgrade done.

What I really needed to do was find some rear headrest as mine are long gone. And add a passenger armrest.

Despite the fact my daily driver is already set up to bumper tow 6200lbs and I have a 2500 4X4 I out in a goose neck and in bed wiring connection....

I decided I did not want to add the weight of a full rear bumper. So I opted for the lightest rear hitch option, the OEM. Junkyard pulloffs I found near by were not significantly cheaper than new. And the wiring kit was not a significant cost bundled with the hitch.

So I now have an OEM hitch and wiring.
Just in case I need a third tow vehicle. And I will likely just shackle Mount it.

I have already heard from the wife about why I needed a third tow capable vehicle.

She also caught me looking at roof rack options and asking ridiculous things like when is the last time I used a roof rack, took a kayak somewhere, roof mounted a bike, etc.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
A few days ago.

I had to scour dozens of automatics for every manual.
I had to scours dozens of manuals for every low mileage one.
Most low mileage manuals were already outfitted and beat up off road.
And then finding the latest engine version.

I finally found a 2011 with 60k on it. Road miles only.

It was delivered a few days ago.

I grew up with old school 4 wheeling.
As an adult I had 4th and 5th gen hilux, 2nd gen 4Runner V6, 1st gen XTerra, XJ Cherokee, WJ and WK2 Grand Cherokee, Expedition and excursion experience. Overseas a ton of later hi lux, surf, patrol LC, Prado, etc.

I did not get an FJ when they were new, the tiny gas tank, rear seats, weird doors, etc. were not conducive to four kids and a dog or two vs other options. The kids are all off at college now. It was time for my blank slate. Just me and a malinois and a German Shepard.

I considered finding a much cheaper to buy 04 Discovery II manual, but maintenance would be significant. Also a similar year manual XTerra would have been cheaper. Finding a Toyota at a dealer allows you to buy the 100k/5year platinum warranty. Not cheap but likely to pay for itself.

Options were considered. The right one finally turned up.
It was like my fourth choice color.
There was a small hole or burn in a seat. For some reason the stereo was replaced with an aftermarket Kenwood. But it had the off-road package and rear camera. It oddly had both the big black FJ Cruiser spare tire cover and a body colored spare tire cap (which I am not sure how it secures) but no rear head rests.
For some reason the factory radio was replaced with a Kenwood aftermarket one,
But I had tired of looking.
I bought it and had it delivered and it arrived.

It is a black slate with no brushguards, front bumper/winch, sliders, roof rack or tow.

I look forward to outfitting it one piece at a time.

I will likely do
a winch and headlight guards, or full front bumper with guards.
Sliders with a step.
Roof rack
Ladder
Either factory tow or a rear bumper with tow

Please let me know your favorite of those items.

Me with one of the various overseas vehicles about ten years ago.

Roof rack and ladder? Gobi or go home. :)

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
Ok, first upgrade done.

What I really needed to do was find some rear headrest as mine are long gone. And add a passenger armrest.

Despite the fact my daily driver is already set up to bumper tow 6200lbs and I have a 2500 4X4 I out in a goose neck and in bed wiring connection....

I decided I did not want to add the weight of a full rear bumper. So I opted for the lightest rear hitch option, the OEM. Junkyard pulloffs I found near by were not significantly cheaper than new. And the wiring kit was not a significant cost bundled with the hitch.

So I now have an OEM hitch and wiring.
Just in case I need a third tow vehicle. And I will likely just shackle Mount it.

I have already heard from the wife about why I needed a third tow capable vehicle.

She also caught me looking at roof rack options and asking ridiculous things like when is the last time I used a roof rack, took a kayak somewhere, roof mounted a bike, etc.
Because a rack gives you a lot of options when you need / want to haul stuff.
I've had sofas, outdoor umbrellas, timber... everything up there on my fake chinesium stock rack.
The best thing about it being a chinesium fake, is that I can do what I want to it and not cry if it starts looking like a bag of arseholes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mod one was pretty kick.

going from this,

to this with the OEM kit plus a solid care shackle Mount.

URL=http://s649.photobucket.com/user/ramairfour/media/3C058B3C-7137-4D4D-96D0-778F510111D0_zps2coqbg7e.jpeg.html]
[/URL]

my next step was sliders.
i decided on the all pro with kick outs.

fist I prepped and chased the frame mounts.

then it was cleaning time.

then some self etching primer

then a few coats of semi gloss rust preventive enamel.

URL=http://s649.photobucket.com/user/ramairfour/media/A64EB8E0-EB73-4921-AB7D-D379B9C969A3_zpsmtgf2kur.jpeg.html]
[/URL]

then some bed liner on the top surface and mounted.

i have a set of the factory bumper lights fully complete except for the mounts on the way. I ordered PIAA mounts that should arrive about the same time. I will install the roof light o switch for roof lights at the same time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts