Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to my Favorite Home Secret Spot for a quick trip and WOW, things have changed! We need to set up a Ride there real soon.

I thought I would try out the new iMovie "Movie Trailer" option on this video! Personally it is too ridged for me, and does not allow almost any changes.

Tomorrow I will probably put up a photo gallery of some of the images! Hell Hill, is easy again, but the North Section has some NEW wicked hills! It made my inclinometer show it's white backside!

Maria was with me so I have photos, and Oso was NOT in the FJC so I pushed the FJC to it's limits. Plus Maria is not a spotter so, if you look at a couple of the photos I missed the line..... Whoops!!! But Fun!!!!

Don't hammer me too hard on the "Movie Trailer".... lol :rofl: I was just playing around with iMovie for fun and did it real quick!

·
Registered
449 Posts
i like the video... but what happened to the front of your rig?

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Nice production, I really enjoyed the "Bond" like soundtrack. I also am curious about the front end damage.

·
Registered
378 Posts
loved it, im ready to go there, set something up

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, my Front-end damage! Didn't you notice, almost every section of my FJC I have seemed to have dented, scratched, dinged, broken, tore off pieces and lost parts of my FJC. lol

But to tell the story yet again. The Front-end damage was done right here at this same area, but not on any of these hills. This 4x4 area is a small place that is relatively close to where I live.

I used to go there an awful lot. Many times just for a 15 minute run through the trails or to take our dog out to do her job or let her run around. So I knew the place like the back of my hand, unless someone changed something... And I went alone many, many, many, times and when I was alone I never had or used spotter. Now that does not mean I am an idiot! I almost always check the trails to see if they have changed a lot because of the rain or other reasons.

This place has many, many steep and short little hill climbs like the one below.

Many of those hills, I or my friends and I made at one time or another.

There is this one section, I call "Hell Hill" (different story for a different time) that had three very steep climbs right next to each other, with the center one being the steepest and slightly curved, so it was the hardest (and scariest and not always doable) at the time. Plus I was showing off against some Jeep buddies I was giving the "Follow me if you dare!" tour. :rofl:

So the rain and other 4x4s driving on this one Center hill climb, exposed a piece of Concrete rock starting to come out the passenger side of the climbing area. We had driven pass the top section earlier, so I did not think there was a need to climb to the top on foot to check it out.

But I was concerned about that piece of Concrete and took a track a little farther to the Drivers side. This particular hill was always a slow and careful climb, because of the steepness, the slight curve, the concrete and the good sized tree about five feet back from the top on the drivers side. The full size tree that I had forgot, was one major reason why it was so scary also. That full grown tree made a very narrow exit at right at the top. Another reason for the slow speed. You needed to get the line right. Slip to one side or the other and it was better to back down and try again.

But on this day, SOMEONE ( I don't know who) had chopped down that tree, but left a stump of it about three feet high jutting towards the hill, and hidden by the bushes growing next to it. And I forgot about the TREE that used to be there because, well, lets just say because....:jester:

So I take aim at the correct line and start driving up from the bottom of the hill, and from that angle you can not see the chopped off stump. And off course, when I started climbing up the steep hill, all I see is the sky, until my front drops back down and I start coming over the top, just as I hear this awful, metal crunching and plastic breaking sound.

Yikes! Arrrggghhhhh!!!!! Who would cut off a tree and leave it at that height.....

It was so bad, that I had to crawl out of my passenger door and we used a winch on one of the Jeeps to pull my drivers fender back forward, so I could use the drivers door without jamming.

Here is quick and dirty little animation I made a long time ago to tell this story before.

So that is probably more than you wanted to know. lol :jester:

BTW: That particular hill climb is no longer being used by ANYONE!

------

PaulThePhotographer
WonderfulPhotography

·
fka luvshisfj
2,069 Posts
I love the dramatic re-enactment! :lol:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
pictures???

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Going down "Hell Hill" impossible when wet or Muddy!

Coming up "Hell Hill!"

Little trail Washout!

Back up the same Washout

Different trail, had to drive close to the trees and use the slant to stay away from a block of concrete!

I was actually on a trail here but from where Maria was shooting it did not look like it. lol

And this is the place where my almost stuck Video was shot. Pretty dry now but still mushy! IF you hit the wrong line you could still get stuck.

My Standard Little Nasty STeep Clay Hill (Where I busted my Rear Diff once) but now because of so much use not so hard any more and more fun to come down twisted like this. Different shot also than usual also because Maria was so far away.

This hill looked a lot worse than it was, up or down.

Actually AFTER going up and over that hill was very interesting. Again I really did not look to see what was there. I knew years ago some deep ruts full of mud had been running parallel there, but it was dry now, so I really did not think about them.

And coming from the other direction was worse, or better, which ever way you want to look at it. lol

See this photo shows I would have ripped off my rear bumper wing and I tried to rip off my last remaining mud flap also.!

---

Then there was this NEW trail, which was nice and steep, when you can see the white BEHIND the inclinometer, you know you are doing good. And it was even worse but Maria was too scared to try and shoot it. lol

But as you can see from this photo, I missed the line because I did not have a spotter. I almost always never use a spotter at this place. But whoa, I missed it quite a bit and it brought the rear tire way up. That was also where the inclinometer went off the scale. lol

Of course I had to go, back and forth, over it SEVERAL times. lol

----

PaulThePhotographer
WonderfulPhotography

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
That video is really Cool! You ought to invite everyone out and make a few more vids :cheers: ....Hey did anybody ever cut that stump flush to the ground...the one you damaged your front on? If not someone else will probally have the same fate :lol:

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That video is really Cool! You ought to invite everyone out and make a few more vids :cheers: ....Hey did anybody ever cut that stump flush to the ground...the one you damaged your front on? If not someone else will probally have the same fate :lol:
Nope the Stump is still there!. But that trail is no longer being used at all. It was a good sized stump and would take some hacking to finish the job.

It really is only a 5 or 6 vehicle type of place. It is really small. It just has lots, and lots of stuff crammed in a small area.

I will take you out there anytime you are in NW Tampa. Anytime!

Oso, our dog, is mad at us now, we took her to a place to do her job past this place and it was filled with horses and riders. So on the way back home I asked Maria should we hit the 4x4 place again to let Oso out. Sure why not.

BTW: Oso, does NOT like to go 4x4ing with me any more. Too SCARY and Dangerous, by falling off the back seat or hitting the roof. So Oso was very pissed.

Maria had to hold her in her lap once we went into the 4x4 place again tonight.

But it was even more fun for me, since it rained and all the clay and mud hills became even more slippery and harder to go up and down.

To go up and over, required Momentum now!!!! Speed Baby! And going down means once started down, down you go, slipping and a sliding!

Oso, stayed mad (hid her head jammed between Maria's arm and the door) until I bought her a "Dingo" treat at Walgreens on the way home. lol

----

Anytime you want to go!!!! BTW: A Bunch of very LOUD ATVs were there racing around tonight. The way to get it shut down again.

----

PaulThePhotographer
WonderfulPhotographer

·
Registered
171 Posts
Looks like a nice spot. We traded our 2wd FJ for a 99 4Runner 4x4. I wouldn't mind tagging along sometime. :wave:

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like a nice spot. We traded our 2wd FJ for a 99 4Runner 4x4. I wouldn't mind tagging along sometime. :wave:
PM Sent with my Cell Phone number!!!! If you Dare!!!!! Just kidding... lol :rofl:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts