Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a great piece of equipment for home, camping and a emergency situation. It burns wood and very little of it, to cook on. I highly recomend this just because of ease of use and it simply works. You wouldn't backpack with it of course but in the truck, trailer, home it is killer. And no white gas, propane or other fuels needed. It has been tested all over the world. Starts very easy and cooks with very little if any smoke at all. The blizzard was hitting hard here and thought I would post this for you guys- girls. When I cook on it it is the topic of everyones conversation. Enjoy the vid of it in use.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Neat, but how much?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I want one, but for 90+ bucks I'll stick to the ground/grill top/stick method. Have you tried cooking burgers on it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Burgers, well it is no different than cooking on the stove in the house. This is not a grill if thats what you mean. A lighter walled pan, pot cooks faster compared to a Cast Iron. This is it just because it takes longer for Cast to heat up but it works great or better if not in a rush. I've made Fillet Mingon(sp). to crablegs and chilli. And if you know how to cook with Cast you can use as a small oven. Hope this helps and the price is cheap when you and your coleman stove or what kind you have, run out of fuel. Making a camp fire for every meal is time consuming and wastes fuel and takes away from important things like beer drinking and having fun.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I know it's not like a grill. I was just wondering how it cooked things in a skillet. Took 14 minutes or so to boil water, just wondering how long it took to cook a burger or something similar. Typically I take a rack from a grill and sit on the fire, can cook a lot of hamburgers and hotdogs pretty fast. I was just basing my question off of having to cook for 6-10 people vs 2-3. It looks pretty useful.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rocket Stoves are just like your stove and you can make one with cans or pipe if you want to save cash. Though not very portable it works great and cheap. The comercial one is built for much longer use and folks that want to buy.

how to make a rocket stove

·
Registered
114 Posts
Think it's pretty cool and could be very useful on long week or more camping adventures. Cut down on the amount of wood you would have to scrounge up, and not have to worry about running out of gas in the middle of a good camp out. Nine cups of water in 15 mins is pretty damn quick IMO.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unlike a campfire you can contol temp by adding or removing fuel and by the airflow with the botom door. Uses a renewable fuel and burns most of its emisions hence very little smoke, good for ma nature.

·
Registered
297 Posts
That rocket stove intrigues me. I think I'll have to make one.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I am a little torn about this stove.....

On one hand....it is very cool and the price is not bad

On the other hand...I have never been anywhere where the supply of wood is an issue (which seems to be the major advantage of the rocket stove).

Ahhhh screw it...I need to go back to work on my Black egg project, I wonder if the rocket stove could hit 750 degrees for a proper pizza?

Mine will be a bit cooler than the one in the video

Doc

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had myself talked into this thing. Took a few days though. Got home from work yesterday afternoon to a package sitting at the door. Ordered a new dog bed for the dogs, thought thats what it was. Opened it up, low and behold a new camping grill. Texted my fiancee that Sierra Trading Post sent us a camping grill and not a dog bed. She replied back that it was my valentines day gift. Go figure, talked myself into the stovetech only to end up with a new propane grill 2 days later. Guess this one will have to wait.

·
Registered
298 Posts
im gonna get one here pretty quick. for me, having a camp fire in dead of summer is useless (in missouri it stays hot at night) and this would be nice to have to cook with. im going to rig up some kind of cradle for it where the single seat in the back folds down. this and my guitar will be some of the few things that dont ride on the roof rack

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I think it's neat but kinda bulky. the price is cheaper than my Cobb, but I like the stainless steel n lightweight portability. Although the Cobb is near twice the price of the rocket. It's definitly a different style of cooking compared to a fire n rack. Nice find.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts