Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! Mid April I'm planning a trip to the northern tip of Texas or west Oklahoma area. I'm from Flagstaff, AZ and really haven't done any extensive traveling east of Arizona. I have a buddy meeting me from Tennessee and his experience with those areas are barely broader than mine.

Anyone able to give me some good info on trails in those areas? On a scale of 1-10, I'd prefer to stay under 7. This is my only running pony right now and I'll have a ways to travel. He's also still fairly stock; just has the Cooper Discoverer STT's and is the Trail Team edition.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
:bigthumb:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No love from Texas or Oklahoma? :mecry:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm from the Dallas area but I can't steer you in the right direction for the area you are going. Most of Texas is privately held land. Maybe somebody in that area will be able to help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that. I was kinda fearing that would be the case. Heard the further East you go, the more you run into privately owned land.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello cjgonefj,
I would start in Clayton Ok and take the K trail into Arkansas. It is a low to med rated trail.
You can find a few videos on YouTube. It is a two day trip into Arkansas.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello cjgonefj,
I would start in Clayton Ok and take the K trail into Arkansas. It is a low to med rated trail.
Looks gorgeous! I'll have to save up again for that one and take that through to the Ozarks. It just starts to get a little too far East for this trip. Thanks for the tip though!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Like said about Texas, there's a lot of privately held land in OK as well. I'm always looking for another place to go wheelin. We enjoy the river runs here but for the most part it's hard to find a place to enter that isn't through private land. Take a look at Little Sahara, mostly for the dune buggy atv crowd but still fun. May be too North for ya. I prefer more of the over landing and secluded stuff so I don't have much info on the offroad parks. Wish I lived closer to CO or Utah.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello cjgonefj,
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I also live in Mustang. I drive a lifted black and white. What are you driving, I'm sure I have seen you around. There's a blue FJ, blacked out FJ, and silver FJ I see all the time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like said about Texas, there's a lot of privately held land in OK as well. I'm always looking for another place to go wheelin. We enjoy the river runs here but for the most part it's hard to find a place to enter that isn't through private land. Take a look at Little Sahara, mostly for the dune buggy atv crowd but still fun. May be too North for ya. I prefer more of the over landing and secluded stuff so I don't have much info on the offroad parks. Wish I lived closer to CO or Utah.
Thanks for the tip. River runs will be a fairly new experience for me. Not too much water in my area, just snow then mud if we get precipitation at all.
Colorado is amazing! I go to the San Juans every Summer staying based out of Ouray or Silverton usually.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I say river what I really mean, is maybe 2' of stagnet water with a bunch of sand. :) It's fun but definitely nothing like out there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I drive a 2013 army green with a black top and blacked out windows.
Yeah hence the description in the title. ;) duh. We need to get together sometime. Seems like maybe a couple local guys are ready for some wheelin? You have anywhere close around you like to go?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah hence the description in the title. ;) duh. We need to get together sometime. Seems like maybe a couple local guys are ready for some wheelin? You have anywhere close around you like to go?
We need to set up a run for a weekend in the near future. I don't really have anywhere close that I go wheeling. My favorites are SE Okla., West Arkansas and Northern New Mexico.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Part of what you are referring to isn't usually called N. Texas, it's the Panhandle. Perhaps check out:

The Panhandle has an abundance of public land for jeep riders, including The Canadian River and Lake Meredith (nps.gov/lamr) near Amarillo. Both areas offer free riding and camping for jeep enthusiasts of all abilities. One of the largest areas is along the Canadian River, where off-road organizations like the West Texas Outlaws (west-texasoutlaws.com) hold annual riding competitions on the 20,000-acre site.

Canadian River - Dirtopia, the Off-Road Encyclopedia

https://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Texas-Outlaws-Offroad-club/318051414878127

1 - 14 of 14 Posts