Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Here are some answers about closing of the NPs...

http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/fy2014/upload/NPS-FAQ.pdf

No visitors are being allowed in. Rangers will be patrolling and enforcing the closures. There are back ways into a couple of Utah's parks, but is it worth the price of up to 6 months in jail and $500 fine for being caught in the park?

This is a good article to read about the impact of the closures.... National Parks Close As Other Public Lands Stay Open : NPR ....sucks for the guy that spent $16K and is sitting there watching his private Grand Canyon permit expire.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
My wife and I are in the same boat. We have planned this vacation for almost a year and now are at the doorsteps of all these parks only to be turned away.

I was told this evening by two folks here in Kanab, UT that Zion NP is actually a highway and as such cannot be closed. One was at the park yesterday and said as long as your not staying long and just jump out to take pictures here and there- no one bothers you.

We just came up from Flagstaff, AZ and the mood there is bad. Most of the hotels are filled to the rim with tourists from all over the world who cant understand why they can see the Grand Canyon or other parks.

Were heading to Zion tomorrow

We visited the Valley of Fire in NM prior to leaving for AZ and then the parks closed. Otherwise we've hit White Sands and that's it. Just enjoying the drive from Houston and wheeling when I can.

Navajo Bridge

·
Premium Member
16,457 Posts
I want to thank everyone for the suggestions. The nice thing about a plan B is that planning and getting to point B is half the fun.
Another use for my sun shade. Decal #1:
Great idea to place stickers on the sun shade. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks baz and hannibal!

My wife and I are in the same boat. We have planned this vacation for almost a year and now are at the doorsteps of all these parks only to be turned away.

I was told this evening by two folks here in Kanab, UT that Zion NP is actually a highway and as such cannot be closed. One was at the park yesterday and said as long as your not staying long and just jump out to take pictures here and there- no one bothers you.

We just came up from Flagstaff, AZ and the mood there is bad. Most of the hotels are filled to the rim with tourists from all over the world who cant understand why they can see the Grand Canyon or other parks.

Were heading to Zion tomorrow

We visited the Valley of Fire in NM prior to leaving for AZ and then the parks closed. Otherwise we've hit White Sands and that's it. Just enjoying the drive from Houston and wheeling when I can.

Navajo Bridge

I wish I had known we were in the same general area. I would have changed plans just to see your ride.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
I wish I had known we were in the same general area. I would have changed plans just to see your ride.
Im in Kanab for 4 days and then Breckenridge, CO for 5. Otherwise I'll be at Summit 2014 :bigthumb:

Im sure we'll bump into each other one of these years- Don never thought it would happen until three days ago :lol:

You can follow my locations on my thread

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/planned-expeditions/166285-crackrocks-epic-adventure.html

:cheers:

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
The National Park I live in is closed . All employees are on leave except for the Armed Rangers . Got to protect the Park from someone stealing it . :lol:
Redboat
Hey, in your park, are guests of residents being allowed? Here in Yosemite, we can have guests (family and friends) enter the park and visit. It's amazing how many "old friends" I've heard from who now want to visit during a really quiet time in the park.

Cheers, and hopin' we open soon!

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Hey, in your park, are guests of residents being allowed? Here in Yosemite, we can have guests (family and friends) enter the park and visit. It's amazing how many "old friends" I've heard from who now want to visit during a really quiet time in the park.

Cheers, and hopin' we open soon!
Should've pulled the old friend routine this weekend ;)
We wanted to head up that way, but went to Bay Area instead, due to the closure. Even had the Fj too, since we took the dogs. I'll keep you in mind this weekend ;) Really sucks being 45 minutes away not able to enter Yosemite or Sequoia!

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Pity we can't designate Congress as a national park. :flame:

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Should've pulled the old friend routine this weekend ;)
We wanted to head up that way, but went to Bay Area instead, due to the closure. Even had the Fj too, since we took the dogs. I'll keep you in mind this weekend ;) Really sucks being 45 minutes away not able to enter Yosemite or Sequoia!
Ha! Love to host, but I need to take some time off work, officially. Family is flying in from Memphis and I will be at the Clovis home starting Wednesday or Thursday. Hopefully another time!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Just an update on this. I went wheeling in Moab, UT over the weekend, and the Utah state government opened all of the National Parks in Utah on Saturday (10/12/13). Props to Utah for taking the initiative and telling the federal gov to F off. Arches was beautiful, and I'm very glad I got a chance to see it.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Maybe my dog can enjoy our Utah NPs if all the cats are away.... time for the mice to play:lol: I'm sure Cochise the Boxer would like to take a leak on some of the arches :lol:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Maybe my dog can enjoy our Utah NPs if all the cats are away.... time for the mice to play:lol: I'm sure Cochise the Boxer would like to take a leak on some of the arches :lol:

So I didn't actually know you weren't allowed to have dogs at Arches, and no one told me otherwise, so my dog got to see everything :). Wasn't until after we got back that a friend of mine who had been there before told me dogs weren't allowed. Whoops.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Here she is hanging out infront of Delicate Arch.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Here she is hanging out infront of Delicate Arch.
Hahahaha, happy as a clam. Exclusive territory for her :rocker:

I may have been through the Robbers Roost/Maze District district and may have let me dog run loose ??!!

Unfortunately it's truck or parking area only, always on leash, never on trails, never at attractions :boohoo:

21 - 40 of 45 Posts