Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the big group buy for Expedition One last year and got the rear bumper with SMTCS (smooth motion tire carrier system), this is a fantastic bumper. My only gripe is that they put the holes in the swingarm for you to mount stuff, but they don't seem to make any accessories to take advantage of that.

So I talked to Toygoose / Charlie of CAM metalworks/fabrication out of Del Norte, CO a little while back about doing a NATO Jerry Can holder, and he tweaked one of his CAM RUT jerry can holders and came up with a perfect solution for the Expedition One swingarm. Finally got it mounted this weekend, here's the pics.

The bumper swing-out arm comes with a series of 3/8th inch holes that you can use to mount accessories next to the tire:

I used a piece of paper to make the drilling template and then marked the holes with a sharpie. I used 3/8th diameter bolts, 2 1/2 inches for the top 3 holes and 1 1/2 inches for the bottom 2 holes. Washers on both ends, rubber washers between the tank holder and the arm and then a lock washer on the back. Here's the finished drilling template:

And then with the gas can installed:

I'm super happy with how this turned out. The template process was a little rough, I had to use a 1/2 inch drill bit to make up for a little imprecision with the drilling template. Also you will need to move the can based on your tire diameter (I'm on 285/75R16 Duratrac's), I'm right next to the tire. Also I'm looking at some inserts to smooth out the bolt heads, that way a day of offroading doesn't end up damaging the gas can.

·
Registered
832 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
I can buy them all day long. The problem is shipping them here.
Emission and safety laws...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
832 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can buy them all day long. The problem is shipping them here.
Emission and safety laws...
The sellers wont ship them directly, could you bounce one through somebody else out of state? We've got an outdoor store here that sells them, they had 20-30 last time I was there.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I was in the big group buy for Expedition One last year and got the rear bumper with SMTCS (smooth motion tire carrier system), this is a fantastic bumper. My only gripe is that they put the holes in the swingarm for you to mount stuff, but they don't seem to make any accessories to take advantage of that.

So I talked to Toygoose / Charlie of CAM metalworks/fabrication out of Del Norte, CO a little while back about doing a NATO Jerry Can holder, and he tweaked one of his CAM RUT jerry can holders and came up with a perfect solution for the Expedition One swingarm. Finally got it mounted this weekend, here's the pics.

The bumper swing-out arm comes with a series of 3/8th inch holes that you can use to mount accessories next to the tire:

I used a piece of paper to make the drilling template and then marked the holes with a sharpie. I used 3/8th diameter bolts, 2 1/2 inches for the top 3 holes and 1 1/2 inches for the bottom 2 holes. Washers on both ends, rubber washers between the tank holder and the arm and then a lock washer on the back. Here's the finished drilling template:

I'm super happy with how this turned out. The template process was a little rough, I had to use a 1/2 inch drill bit to make up for a little imprecision with the drilling template. Also you will need to move the can based on your tire diameter (I'm on 285/75R16 Duratrac's), I'm right next to the tire. Also I'm looking at some inserts to smooth out the bolt heads, that way a day of offroading doesn't end up damaging the gas can.
Looks great! I wonder it this would fit a 5 gallon Scepter? I'm sure it would… That would keep the trail damage to a minimum.

I've got a set of the R.U.T. mounts for a Hilift / Shovel / Axe Combo… Gotta get that set up.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks great! I wonder it this would fit a 5 gallon Scepter? I'm sure it would… That would keep the trail damage to a minimum.
Do you have a source with dimensions? Here's the standard NATO can dimensions:

http://www.amazon.com/CLASSIC-Gallon-Steel-Jerry-can/dp/B00AZ51JTQ

NATO Jerry Can dimensions: 18 1/4 inch H x 13 1/2 inch W x 6 1/2 inch D.

The mount has an extra 1-1.5 inches clearance front to back and maybe .5-.75 inch clearance on the sides.

·
Registered
278 Posts
That looks great Jimmy, thanks for posting up the pics, so glad you are happy with it!

As in ref. to the Scepter Can, YES, this can mount will work with that can and many others.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
That looks great Jimmy, thanks for posting up the pics, so glad you are happy with it!

As in ref. to the Scepter Can, YES, this can mount will work with that can and many others. When we designed our can mount, we tried to design it with as many of the popular cans in mind, we can also do custom mounts.
Thats good to know!

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Good looking solution and close to the pivot point to make it less burdening to the swing out bearing. Good job!

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Very nice JB ! Nice holder.

I did the same thing a while back but with the AT jerry can holder. I do wish however that I had mounted it a tad to the left as now that I run LT285/75R16 I cannot slip my tire cover on to protect from the sun. LT285/70R17 shown in the pic. This one holds both the NATO style and Scepter but you switch out the removable top piece (one style for each can style for maximum security).

Edit: :lol: I see the first pic you posted is the back of my FJ. :cheers:

·
Forum Beer Miester
4,035 Posts

Hey Jimmy for some reason the photos aren't showing, even in post quotes below. Do you happen to still have those pics or maybe @bazross or @BIGGUY could lend some assistance?
I'm wanting to make the same mod to mine when it comes in.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hey Jimmy for some reason the photos aren't showing, even in post quotes below. Do you happen to still have those pics or maybe @bazross or @ BigGuy could lend some assistance?
X2 :wink

Reactions: Thorn661

·
Premium Member
11,040 Posts
Hey Jimmy for some reason the photos aren't showing, even in post quotes below. Do you happen to still have those pics or maybe @bazross or @BIGGUY could lend some assistance?
g'day Mate,
Sorry, can't help..it appears the images have been deleted from however Jimmy had them stored... whether thru Photobucket or other....
hopefully he still has them on file and can repost them...
cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
31,535 Posts
Yep. What Baz said.

Reactions: Thorn661

·
Forum Beer Miester
4,035 Posts
g'day Mate,
Sorry, can't help..it appears the images have been deleted from however Jimmy had them stored... whether thru Photobucket or other....
hopefully he still has them on file and can repost them...
cheers
Baz
:blueblob:
Thanks Baz I figured it had something to do with that but it doesn't hurt to ask! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I switched image hosts (imageshack -> imgur) and forgot to move these over, sorry.

It was a pretty standard solid metal jerry can holder ( example pic ) with 4-5 holes drilled in the back to line up with the swing arm.

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't go this route (I've since sold the swing-arm bumper and this mount). There isn't enough of the swing arm exposed to drill enough holes to hold the mount stable and put a larger tire on there, I had 285/75R16's on mine (32.6 inch total diameter) and my jerry can holder butted right up against the tread.

My advice: either custom make or buy Expedition One's offset mount, that mounts to the swing arm and then moves over several inches to make room for the tire.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
I switched image hosts (imageshack -> imgur) and forgot to move these over, sorry.

It was a pretty standard solid metal jerry can holder ( example pic ) with 4-5 holes drilled in the back to line up with the swing arm.

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't go this route (I've since sold the swing-arm bumper and this mount). There isn't enough of the swing arm exposed to drill enough holes to hold the mount stable and put a larger tire on there, I had 285/75R16's on mine (32.6 inch total diameter) and my jerry can holder butted right up against the tread.

My advice: either custom make or buy Expedition One's offset mount, that mounts to the swing arm and then moves over several inches to make room for the tire.
I've recently been communicating directly with Exp-1 about getting a traditional jerry can mount/holder for the swing-out bumper. They are working on it.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I've recently been communicating directly with Exp-1 about getting a traditional jerry can mount/holder for the swing-out bumper. They are working on it.
Very cool Brad!
Please keep us posted on this, I would get one of these.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts