Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I did a search... but the truth is, I know NOTHING about navigation systems for the FJ, and never thought I'd want one. Until I got totally lost in Hamburg, Germany recently, and sort of freaked out. Being in a foreign country, I think I need Navi. What should I get?? The simpler, the better. I don't get off on high tech gadgets. ;)

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Any of the Garmin units are soooo straightforward ....Right out of the box my 340 Streetpilot is userfriendly to the maxxxx. Now I will admit I have learned a few tricks for it and some things from more expensive models that I am seen I would like to have but, as far as going from point A to point B I am very happy with my garmin.....

·
Registered
467 Posts
Guten Tag!

I got a Garmin Nuvi 760 right before leaving for Ouray and it was outstanding. It has a slot for a SD card that can hold downloaded maps (of Germany and Europe) from what the manual says.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
This depends a lot on how much you're looking to spend. The Garmin Nuvi line is fantastic and ranges from $250-800. Another worthwhile contender is the TomTom One XL. It is very reasonable and has a lot of great features. If you're looking for the best NAV out there, my vote is for the Eclipse units - they are ridiculous in price and replace your head unit, but they are friggen incredible and VERY simple to use. If you want to see what the NAV is like, go test drive a loaded Prius. Eclipse licensed their revolutionary user interface to Toyota for their Prius NAV.

Here's a couple reference links to help you in your decision:

CNet GPS Reviews

GPS Information Net

GPS Magazine

Hope those help some.

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This depends a lot on how much you're looking to spend. The Garmin Nuvi line is fantastic and ranges from $250-800. Another worthwhile contender is the TomTom One XL. It is very reasonable and has a lot of great features. If you're looking for the best NAV out there, my vote is for the Eclipse units - they are ridiculous in price and replace your head unit, but they are friggen incredible and VERY simple to use. If you want to see what the NAV is like, go test drive a loaded Prius. Eclipse licensed their revolutionary user interface to Toyota for their Prius NAV.

Here's a couple reference links to help you in your decision:

CNet GPS Reviews

GPS Information Net

GPS Magazine

Hope those help some.

Howls,
FJ Wolf

Thanks Wolf. My computer dork husband owned a Prius, and I actually could not STAND it because it was too high tech, particularly the navigation system. :lol: Hey, I drove a '74 diesel Benz and a '04 Tacoma. No high tech stuff for me. :lol:

I will look into the Garmins and the other rec's here. Don't think the hubster will go for the Tom; he said it's Philips and so basically crap. LOL He works for a Philips spin off.... that's actually why we're in Europe now.

I thought I'd be ok with the Google map I printed out, but Hamburg is a big scary city with a lot of street signs missing... it was pouring rain... and I got hopelessly lost. But I eventually made it out of there! :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Thanks Wolf. My computer dork husband owned a Prius, and I actually could not STAND it because it was too high tech, particularly the navigation system. :lol: Hey, I drove a '74 diesel Benz and a '04 Tacoma. No high tech stuff for me. :lol:

I will look into the Garmins and the other rec's here. Don't think the hubster will go for the Tom; he said it's Philips and so basically crap. LOL He works for a Philips spin off.... that's actually why we're in Europe now.

I thought I'd be ok with the Google map I printed out, but Hamburg is a big scary city with a lot of street signs missing... it was pouring rain... and I got hopelessly lost. But I eventually made it out of there! :lol:
Woodsman borrowed a nav unit for the Ouray trip and it was handy a couple of times like finding the Pikes Peak Road so a purchase is in order. A month ago I actually got lost in Southern Indiana. There's a big area south of Madison next to the Ohio River, I took a detour because a road was closed and the detour didn't have any signs, I have a compass in my truck but it didn't matter because all the roads seemed to go in circles. I had 100 miles range when I got lost and was down to less than 30 when I finally asked a guy by the river how the heck to get outta there. I swear it was like I was in a different world with no way out, like in the Twilight Zone . . . then on the way home I had the luck of getting stuck in the 2nd worst storm I've ever been in . . . and I happened to be in the same little town that I was in during my worst-storm when I was nearly caught in a tornado several years ago. I'm staying out of that town from now on. Nav unit will soon be procured. :)

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Thanks for the CNET link Wolf......I always forget that site. I have been shopping for a few household electronics (flat screen TV, monitor) and that site firmed up what I was thinking....Thanks

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I swear it was like I was in a different world with no way out, like in the Twilight Zone . . . then on the way home I had the luck of getting stuck in the 2nd worst storm I've ever been in . . . and I happened to be in the same little town that I was in during my worst-storm when I was nearly caught in a tornado several years ago. I'm staying out of that town from now on. Nav unit will soon be procured. :)
LOL!! Southern Indiana can be scary... Walk up to the guy, he smiles with all three of his teeth and exclaims, "You've got a purdy mouth, boy. Why don't you stay the night."

Whereabouts are you from in Southern Indiana? I grew up south of Indianapolis in Columbus - a great town. I even had my first four years in Radio back in the 80s at WWWY there. Heh, "Catch The Wolf, 7 to midnight weekdays - only right here on the new Y-105 FM." Nowadays they're an automated pop station. What a shame.

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Thanks for the CNET link Wolf......I always forget that site. I have been shopping for a few household electronics (flat screen TV, monitor) and that site firmed up what I was thinking....Thanks
Oh sure thing - I love CNet reviews. They have some great info! Whenever I am shopping for gadgets and toys, I start there. :bigthumb:

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
You might want to read the story below:

Sat-nav driver's 1,600 mile error | The Sun |News|Weird

Remember, make sure that you have the correct/most up-to-date map for your area of Europe regardless of the GPSr that you buy. Also, TomTom might be more 'European map' friendly right out of the box!

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
I own the Pioneer AVIC-D3 headunit.
Very simple, you touch type on the touch screen of the unit and then it tells you how to get there.
I like it a lot.
Pioneer USA - In-Dash Navigation

C/Net review
Pioneer Avic-D3 Car GPS (Navigation) reviews - CNET Reviews

C/Net gives is a low review on account if this:
The bad: The system's single disc slot means that users will constantly have to switch between navigation discs and media sources to make the most of its many features.
Who uses music CDs anymore?
That is so stoneage.
All of my CDs have been transfered over to my iPod, and it resides in the glovebox hooked up to the AVIC-D3 to deliver me my tunes.

I have zero complaints on the headunit, and I have had it since two Marches ago.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Got a Garmin C550 from a place "PCRUSH" ON THE INTERNET. You won't go wrong with Garmin or PCRUSH. I did my homework first of course.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Whatever model/brand you choose, be sure to consider one that dismounts from the car, so you can carry it on foot. Otherwise, you could get hopelessly lost on foot, too. The Nuvi is thin, but not so much the Street Pilot. Other brands have thin ones too, the better for fitting in your pocket or bag easily.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
update: I got a Nüvi 650 today for my birthday, woohooo!!! :D

·
Registered
739 Posts
I just picked up the Garmin Nuvi 760 for 378.00 at best buy.(770 Europe included and is at costco.com for 399.00)

Best buy matched the Walmart online price, rather give my money to Best buy then walmart...

I downloaded with Jen's help the sandstorm pointer, super cool, now downloading maps of trails on an SD card.

Pretty cool also bluetoothed to my crackberry.

·
Registered
88 Posts
NAVIGON -- Best GPS for Europe is the NAVIGON. I have the AVIC-D3, but the problem is it only has DVD navigation for the states. While in Europe use NAVIGON, I've had one for the last three years, it tells me where all of the speed cameras are as well as the speed limits for all of the roads. Also, it is linked to an AM/FM tuner and gives live traffic update and wil re-route you around Stau's/traffic jams.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've been looking at these and I don't see any discussion on which model has the best topo maps, which have altitude, best unpaved road/trail databases, how the maps get into the unit (do I have to load them, do they get d/l'ed like sirus), or are all of these similar features on all of them?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts