Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-knowing forum members!

So I've read dozens of threads about the scuba mod, but which breathers are necessary to mod on a 2012? I have two under the hood which are the transmission and transfer case, correct? So the only other two are the rear diff and diff locker? Maybe front diff? If so where is the breather?

Some of the kits and walk-throughs include more than the rear diff and diff locker, but they were on older models.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated! :clap:

Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've been wondering the same myself. Read the threads on the scuba but notice the two under the hood. Now I'm curious as to which ones I need to route up. Got my snorkel on a few weeks ago. Getting it Linexd next week. Need to get it scubad.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are 2 in the rear and 5 under the hood ;)

At a minimum do the rear 2 as they are the lowest. One of the rear 2 had already failed on my new 2012 when I went to extend them about 3-4 months in. :(
Ok! Those were the two I was planning on doing this weekend. I just figured if I was under there I would do as many as possible.

The two I can directly see are transfer case and tranny, right?

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
The two I can directly see are transfer case and tranny, right?
Under the hood? no front diff and something else dont remember, ADD maybe.

The remaining 3 tranny, xfer (i believe) are between the back of the engine and the firewall (think above the tranny bell housing), slightly to the passenger side of center.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Under the hood? no front diff and something else dont remember, ADD maybe.

The remaining 3 tranny, xfer (i believe) are between the back of the engine and the firewall (think above the tranny bell housing), slightly to the passenger side of center.
Ah OK, yeah, the two I was talking about are to the right of the engine (to the left of the master cylinder). ADD?

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
the rear ones are the ones you want to do.

the ones near the brake cyl are already high enough.

The ones at the back of the engine block are high but can be raised to top of the engine bay. Those are the hardest to get to.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the rear ones are the ones you want to do.

the ones near the brake cyl are already high enough.

The ones at the back of the engine block are high but can be raised to top of the engine bay. Those are the hardest to get to.
Awesome! Well it looks like I have my weekend project cut out for me!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I need to do this also, thanks!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just finished my scuba mod! It was a little tricky finding where I wanted to route the new breather. I ended up running it along the inside of the bumper and I tthe cabin underneath where the subwoofer mounts. Other than tracking down the right parts all went well!

I'm heading to the badlands tomorrow to test it out!:clap:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So you did the tranny, xfer case, and rear dif? Any pics. I still need to do this.

I only did the rear diff and diff locker. It is pretty easy to get to those two. I will take some pictures tonight, and maybe post them tomorrow!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So you did the tranny, xfer case, and rear dif? Any pics. I still need to do this.

I only did the rear diff and diff locker. It is pretty easy to get to those two. I will take some pictures tonight, and maybe post them tomorrow!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Parts:
T-connector (1/4" x 1/4" x 1/8" T)
Rear Diff Fitting (1/8" male NPT to 1/4" barb)
Filter (McMaster-Carr - 4427K81)
Filter connector (1/8" female NPT to 1/4" barb)
Fuel Line (8' lenght, 1/4" ID)
Zipties
Hose Clamps

Pictures as promised! (now added as attachments because Photobucket sucks)

T-connector (1/4" x 1/4" x 1/8" T):

Line to rear diff and view of T-connector:

Routing along inside of rear bumper:

Into the cargo area under the subwoofer (had to poke a hole in the rubber grommet):

View from inside (with small auxiliary power panel removed):

Filter ziptied to the window washer line (view from removable panel under subwoofer):

Hope these pictures are clear enough!

:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Good deal Jr. Thanks for the pics. I'll be knocking this one out when I get the fj back. Did you get the T and the fitting for the dif at auto store. I know the hose sells for a bit over a buck per foot. About 6' worth looks like.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good deal Jr. Thanks for the pics. I'll be knocking this one out when I get the fj back. Did you get the T and the fitting for the dif at auto store. I know the hose sells for a bit over a buck per foot. About 6' worth looks like.

You'll need a 1/4 x 1/4 x 1/8 T, I got mine in a variety pack at pep boys. I thnk autozone has them too. As for the fuel line, it's 1/4 I.D. And I got 8 feet of it from pep boys as well. The barb fittings for the rear diff and filter I picked up at Ace. Easy and cheap!

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Thanks to the op Jim. Just finished this mod. I took some pics of the parts, and measurements of the fuel line. I used 2 feet to go from the diff to the T, and 3'3" from the T to the breather. I went to the drivers side compartment.

Breather from McMaster-Carr $2.91 delivered

·
Registered
54 Posts
I thought I'd add that you can find a male BSPT (British Standard Pipe Taper) to female NPT adapter to screw into the rear diff housing. This will be a more appropriate fit into the differential as this is the thread style that Toyota uses. Then you can attach the 1/8" male NPT to 1/4" barb connector to the BSPT adapter.

The McMaster Carr part number is 4860K141.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts