Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a brand new 2008 FJ on April 1st, since then it has been in the shop a total of 34 days.

The short story behind this, Idler pullys started making noise and Toyota replaced the bottom one but left the top one on the truck even though it was making a little noise. On a 4 hour trip home a few weeks later the pully seized and threw the belt causing the engine to over heat and all kinds of engine and radiator damage. I called my dealership 4 hours away and explained that I was stranded in the middle of no where and needed a tow to the nearest dealership. The service guy said they dont show any dealerships in that area so I would have to locate the nearest one and get a tow. Thanks to my Blackberry I got myself and truck to the nearest dealer 50 miles away with no help from Toyota. They then took thier time trying to only replace what they had to, finally giving up and installing a new engine. 21 days later I picked up the FJ and drove a whole 3 miles when the dash lit up again, I pulled over and checked everything. Nothing seemed to be a huge issue so I continued home. Once I returned home I took it to my dealer to see what was wrong, they tore the engine back down and said that one of the cam bearings had never been installed(wtf). This caused other things to wear out and need replaced. The entire time it was in the shop Toyota did provide me with a loaner car and they have so far paid for all the repairs.

I have my truck back now, and I am still so in love with it. It looks like I could submit the paperwork for Lemon law but that seems like so much hassle. I do have a few mods and a few more sitting in my room that I am waiting to put on untill I figure this out.

My question is Lemon law it, talk to Toyota and see what they will offer me or just keep it and pray it doesnt die as soon as the warranty expires?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I could be wrong, but I thought the lemon law said that you had to have the same problem 3 or more times. I would definitely talk to someone about a new rig. If that many things are going wrong with it already, I would hate to think what will happen in the near future. How much fun will it be if you are out on a trail and something else goes wrong. I would be worried anytime I heard and unusual noise or anything else.

It is brand new you deserve what you paid for and nothing less.

Good luck

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pulled this straight off of the commonwealth of Virginia DMV website:

How do I know if my vehicle's a lemon?
If you have tried unsuccessfully to have your new vehicle (purchased in Virginia) repaired three or more times for the same problem, or the vehicle has been out of service for more than thirty days in one year, your vehicle may be classified as a lemon under the Virginia Motor Vehicle Warranty Enforcement Act.
If you think your vehicle is a lemon, contact the Office of Consumer Affairs before filing a claim under this Act. All claims must be filed within 18 months following the date you first received the vehicle

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I purchased a brand new 2008 FJ on April 1st

There's your problem, April Fools Day!

Seriously, it really sucks that you've had to put up with all these shenanigans, but if your truck has a new engine and now has the proper bearings, is it not fixed?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My worry is that the truck was running for more than a second without the cam bearing and I am sure this put stress on more parts than Toyota decided to replace. Another worry is did they put all new parts in my new engine or did they pull some parts from the old one?

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
You have every reason to be concerned. A cam bearing missing and dash lights on? What does the missing bearing have to affect to get the lights on? which lights? there is no sensor for the presence of bearings, so vibration, extra low oil pressure, over heating etc would be the things to turn lights on. Honestly I don't believe the story of the missing bearing. You need to get more facts out of the dealer or return the rig.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I definitly agree, I am by no means an idiot when it comes to repairing and trouble shooting cars. The story that they gave me the first time was that it had low oil pressure so I am guessing this was the cause of the check engine light. When they called me about the bearing the first thing they asked me was if I had ever done any work to the engine myself. When i said no they then informed me that a bearing was missing. My mind was blown!

·
Registered
163 Posts
If I were in this situation and still had origanl OEM parts from mods, I think I would take off present mods, replace OEM, then lemon law it just to be sure. Maybe even try new dealer. Then you are starting out with a completely new vehicle, not something they pieced together at cheapest price possible for them. Then reinstall mods and add new ones.

You never know what other damage may have been done, why bother having to deal with that later down the road.

I don't know about mechanical parts, but guy at dealer body shop told me they use third party vendors, stamped as toyota to replace many parts(all companies do this, especially computer and electronics companies). He said they are often not as good quality as what you get off the assembly line. Don't know if it applies to mechanical parts or not.

Good luck on your decision.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
The Lemon Law process is a PITA, I would try and avoid it f I can; however, I would ask Toyota for a meeting with the regional representative and express your concerns. I would mention that a lot of components including the engine have incurred potential damage and possible life reducing wear due to errors by the dealer and you have little confidence that this will not continue to generate issues. I would mention that the truck is eligible for Lemon Law designation and you are considering that route, but realize that the vehicle must be destroyed and not be resold, resulting in a total loss for Toyota.

I would offer the rep two possible solutions:

- A free of charge unlimited milage power train warranty.
- Buy back the vehicle and replace with a new identically equipped FJ.

An engine replacement is a serious issue and you should not have a problem getting it lemoned if you go that route, but it may be easier to just ask for what you really want upfront before entering into that process.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
You have every reason to be concerned. A cam bearing missing and dash lights on? What does the missing bearing have to affect to get the lights on? which lights? there is no sensor for the presence of bearings, so vibration, extra low oil pressure, over heating etc would be the things to turn lights on. Honestly I don't believe the story of the missing bearing. You need to get more facts out of the dealer or return the rig.
X2, you would not get any oil pressure with a cam bearing missing and the oil pressure idiot light would have been glowing red. You've had too many problems with a new vehicle. If it was me I'd go with the lemon law after all those hands were on my rig!

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
The Lemon Law process is a PITA, I would try and avoid it f I can; however, I would ask Toyota for a meeting with the regional representative and express your concerns. I would mention that a lot of components including the engine have incurred potential damage and possible life reducing wear due to errors by the dealer and you have little confidence that this will not continue to generate issues. I would mention that the truck is eligible for Lemon Law designation and you are considering that route, but realize that the vehicle must be destroyed and not be resold, resulting in a total loss for Toyota.

I would offer the rep two possible solutions:

- A free of charge unlimited milage power train warranty.
- Buy back the vehicle and replace with a new identically equipped FJ.

An engine replacement is a serious issue and you should not have a problem getting it lemoned if you go that route, but it may be easier to just ask for what you really want upfront before entering into that process.

Good Luck!
That's good advise and I could live with that solution if Toyota would go for it too. :cheers:

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Contact homedad. He lemoned his last FJ, and can help you with his experience. Sorry to hear of your engine issues, but it sounds like the 2 stealerships have damaged your FJ more than it is the factory's issue. I'd go after the stealerships.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Turn it back to Toyota and get a new one! Homedad has been through this and should be of help!

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
30 Days in shop is a LEMON....

No arguement.......

Call a Lemon attorney....It's three faxes/4 phone calls/and about 45 days to a new truck....

Enjoy the new rig:bigthumb:
What he said. Simple as that.

I hope it all works out for you.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Oh, yeah. I'd like to add this:

This WHOLE deal that you are having really appears to be caused by a poorly run Service Department. Change dealerships, friend. If a set of pulleys started this (a not too uncommon issue, and easily remedied) then the service techs are simply out of there element and need good retraining and supervision. Neither of which come quickly in the 'garage community'.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts