Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preface: My wife and I spent 3-4 months patiently looking for a good deal on a manual FJC. We found the perfect deal, and then 16 days later a college student fails to yield and totals our new pride and joy.

Now were trying to find another manual with low miles. We found one in Michigan, and it is a decent enough deal that we are willing to have it shipped all the way to us in West Texas. I was wisely told by a friend to ask about rust since they salt the roads up in MI. They reported some surface rust on the frame and sent some pictures. However, I was shocked by the amount on rust in the pictures. It only has 5500 miles, and supposedly was not driven in Winter. Being from a dry climate, I am pretty naive about this stuff. In fact, we are considering backing out of the deal. We were planning on outfitting it, overland style, and keeping it forever.

What do you guys think? Doesn't this seem like a significant amount of frame rust on a 5,500 mile FJC?

Attachments

·
Registered
999 Posts
You should have seen mine from Rochester New York.. brought it down to Kentucky and spent 6 months sanding off my bottom and primered and painted everything.

The frame was clean.

Only rust was on the chasis and suspension components.

It all looks good now.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Doesn't look like a problem to me! Even the southern FJ's have some surface rust from the roads.

Easy to clean up and spot paint!

Go for it!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
396 Posts
Howdy from Ohio. The rust you are seeing in nothing to worry about. As stated before hit it with a good rust inhibitor then paint it. The welds and such on just about any vehicle up here will have surface rust on it pretty fast. Mine has more then that and is a 2007 I will be cleaning it off before winter and keep going. The exhaust rust is normal for around here and is just a cost of living in the rust belt. Mine looks like that and most likely has since 2007 and is still good. If it still has factory warranty and is what you want go for it. It is really a nice drive from up here to west TX you might want to take a few days vacation and pick it up your self.

Have Fun and enjoy it

·
Registered
634 Posts
Looks like it can be wire brushed off and as others have said painted....I would also buy it.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
To me it actually looks clean considering what Michigan throws on the road. Like everyone else said- a slight clean up and respray and your done in a few hours and think of how much better acquainted you will be with all your underpinnings like where all 6 grease fittings on the drive shaft are :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts