Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Need Expert Insight

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  RoverGGM 
#1 ·
What is the policy on one dealer getting a car from another?

I have somewhat of a hookup at a Toyota dealership, but they NEVER have any FJ's in stock. I would like to purchase an FJ at this dealership.

Does the acquiring dealer have to pay the other dealer a commission, etc?

#3 ·
They have to dealer trade, and that means the dealership has to have something to trade. If they don't have any on the lot or any coming in they can't trade, and they normally have to trade something better for something of lesser value to get the car, and not only that they won't really want to deal cause they are already losing a little value.

EDIT: oh, Thanks and Gig 'EM!! :D

#4 ·
Dealerships are NOT doing trades on FJ's right now. It's every man(or dealer ) for themselves right now. It might take another 3 -6 months for trades to happen.:disgust:

#5 ·
I think dealers in dallas are willing to trade, at least they were when i was shopping up there a couple of months ago.

#10 ·
Nope, they will have to swap FJ for FJ. How the biz works unfortunately. They need a vehicle that will be as hot as the FJ with the same value, and you would think a yaris or prius would work but i just doubt they will do anything but FJ for FJ

#13 ·
You are pretty much correct.

Dealerships in the metroplex are pretty much tit-for-tat on FJ trades, if they will even do them.

Other vehicles are pretty much fair game (i.e. Taco > Camry, etc).

In GST, trades must be within GST.

Dallasag, where is the vehicle you want located? How do you know it isn't on order for another customer? Has the sales manager looked upstream for something in his allocation he can swap?

#14 ·
Good info from the other posters. If you want to get it there, flat out tell them what you want and your time frame. Don't put any money down. Changes are, from my experience, they will not be able to deliver on their promises. Your best bet is to search dealers and the web and find a dealer that has what you want or are soon to get it and go there if the price is right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.