Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a repost, (at least until I can figure out how to delete it from from the 4X4 tech section) so I apologise.
I'm looking for feedback from anyone whose currently running the Toytec Boss Aluma series suspension. I'm strongly considering them, but wanted to see how other were making out with them. (Also looking at the SPC UCA's). Wanted to have an idea how the on and off road ride is on this package. Thanks in advance for any help..
Neill

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well with no replies I decided to go on what research I had done, and a gut feeling I'd gotten talking with the folks at Toytec.
I went with the 2.0 boss aluma series lift with SPC upper control arms and couldn't be happier.
Vehicle has a nice ride and perfect stance. (I had factory rear suspension and the Bilstein 5100 on the front prior) I don't do much if any true offroading but spend a considerable amount of time in the sand in the Outer Banks of North Carolina and this lift/uca combo has proven perfect for me.

I did do the install myself, which was quite the experience.. (both informative and frustrating)
Most important lessons learned...
A propane torch for sweating pipes and a can off PB Blaster was perfect for removing the top nut on the rear shocks...
You will most likely break at least one bolt holding the front sway bar when you try to remove it... but you can successfully feed a locking nut through the frame with a flexible magnetic wand if you choose to reinstall the sway bar.
Youtube videos of people removing the ball joint on the UCA by hitting it with a hammer didn't meet my 2007 FJ.. So do yourself a favor and pick up something cheap like the harbor freight ball joint separator before you start the project.
The Front Factory Skid plate is super susceptible to rusting, no matter how diligent you are cleaning the underside of the truck..
Phone a friend... An extra set of hands is important if your a garage mechanic with no lift.
Measure the truck before you start to make sure you can get it back out of the garage after you get the lift on.
Get the best beer, gin, bourbon (or whatever your drinking pleasure) you can afford and have it at the ready for when the job is done.
Finally drive around to you find a factory FJ and park next to it so you can admire your work.
Neill

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,758 Posts
Nice writeup! Sorry I didn’t see your initial post as I’ve run both Boss 2.0and 2.5 with SPC uppers and love them. Awesome companies (Toytec and SPC) who will always stand behind their products :rocker: Have fun in the sand and post pics!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice writeup! Sorry I didn’t see your initial post as I’ve run both Boss 2.0and 2.5 with SPC uppers and love them. Awesome companies (Toytec and SPC) who will always stand behind their products
Have fun in the sand and post pics!

Were the 2.5’s a stiffer ride than the 2.0’s? I’m also looking at this setup but have an OME lift currently and it rises super smooth

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,758 Posts
Congrats on getting the new suspension, and installing it yourself! :rocker: The 2.5s have a sweet ride thanks to larger volume of fluid, and handle bumps, washboards, turns, tippy spots smoothly. Never experienced fade, even on extreme trails in the desert, and I do not have remote resis. The 2.0 ride was really nice as well, but I felt washboards more and not quite as stable with cornering. I do recall they were great in sandy washes so you should be all set for beaches and dunes :smile

1 - 5 of 5 Posts