Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi Lance, I can't tell if we're helping with the decision or not, but at least we're having fun.

If you're not convinced on the automatic transmissions,

Here is the link to Iconic_'s Guide on Differential Replacement
That’s good to know! I didn’t know there was a difference in the rear differentials and steering components. I’m gonna check into that now. And I plan on using every bit of off-road potential that the FJ has so if that the case we might have a winner!
2010 will have a stronger rear axle 8.2 vs 8 will also have stronger steering parts . if you plan on taking it off road Not just gravel roads to a KOA campsite then the Auto will be much easier to control . SC plus 8 inch rear = boom
You may have seen this recent thread on the MT throwout bearing
I heard about that... someone told me to get a URD replacement throwout bearing if it ever failed and I’d be golden.
The manuals have the occasional throwout bearing problem.
Oh and here is a link to a 2010TT MT with some nice mods at 108k mi for $22,800 in Colorado (No SC though)
^^^ This is the definition of not helping you with your decision ^^^

...and you have to ask yourself, should you really listen to MT advice from a guy driving an AT FJ ??

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Since i have both 6 speed and Auto Toyotas and i do more than gravel roads Go ahead fire away with questions

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi Lance, I can't tell if we're helping with the decision or not, but at least we're having fun.

If you're not convinced on the automatic transmissions,

Here is the link to Iconic_'s Guide on Differential Replacement
That’s good to know! I didn’t know there was a difference in the rear differentials and steering components. I’m gonna check into that now. And I plan on using every bit of off-road potential that the FJ has so if that the case we might have a winner!
2010 will have a stronger rear axle 8.2 vs 8 will also have stronger steering parts . if you plan on taking it off road Not just gravel roads to a KOA campsite then the Auto will be much easier to control . SC plus 8 inch rear = boom
You may have seen this recent thread on the MT throwout bearing
I heard about that... someone told me to get a URD replacement throwout bearing if it ever failed and I’d be golden.
The manuals have the occasional throwout bearing problem.
Oh and here is a link to a 2010TT MT with some nice mods at 108k mi for $22,800 in Colorado (No SC though)
^^^ This is the definition of not helping you with your decision ^^^

...and you have to ask yourself, should you really listen to MT advice from a guy driving an AT FJ ??
The differential replacement guide thread was pretty good, thanks for that. I didn’t know that an FJ Dana60 variant of an axle existed ( I also didn’t know about the 8.2 rear). I believe my 1996 Tacoma has the 8inch rear and it’s handled ABUSE! But the FJ will probably weigh twice as much lol.

And that FJ for sale in Santa Fe is pretty sweet. I like those trail team editions. I had a chance to buy an all White Trail Teams (in Fresno, Colorado) and I let it slip away. Gave the dude a $500 dollar deposit that I never saw again too lol. But this Friday is the day I get my FJ 😁.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Since i have both 6 speed and Auto Toyotas and i do more than gravel roads Go ahead fire away with questions
I’ll use and abuse that knowledge if you don’t mind...

1. Any major problems with either of them?
2. Which platform do you feel is more capable?

Most people say auto’s are more capable but a co-worker of mine recently stated that he took his FJ on a trail and he felt as if his transmission was gonna fail on him/overheat. Ever experience that in your Auto’s??

·
Registered
227 Posts
For crawling it is the auto all the way. The torque convertor really makes up for the lack of transfer case gearing. Toyota crawlers are autos or manuals with doublers.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Honestly, if it were me, I would go with the 2010. The supercharger is nice, but you will get more immediate benefit out of everything else on the 2010. You may drive it a couple months and decide it has all the power you need, then you are kinda done with the 'Have-to' stuff(not that you HAVE to do anything, but you know). Whereas you buy the SC, and you still have all those other mods ahead of you, which really adds up quick. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts

Most people say auto’s are more capable but a co-worker of mine recently stated that he took his FJ on a trail and he felt as if his transmission was gonna fail on him/overheat. Ever experience that in your Auto’s??
I have Had No problems with either both have been great . I do not know your Friend so i can not speak for what he felt . But i can tell you that i take my FJ all over the US and on some pretty challenging terrain . I think if i was going to have a Auto Trans issue it would be in Moab were its 100 plus Deg and we crawl all day . Never have i once felt my trans was going to fail . This past year i did add a trans cooler and a Power steering cooler more for piece of mind than anything . Plus i run 35inch tires . The few people i have been off road with that have a MT really struggle with them . For DD inTraffic the MT sucks . For Snow and Rain i guess the MT can be better ? But i have never had a issue driving in either . If you are buying a FJ to be sporty around town then the 08 with SC But there are much better cars to do that with .

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have Had No problems with either both have been great . I do not know your Friend so i can not speak for what he felt . But i can tell you that i take my FJ all over the US and on some pretty challenging terrain . I think if i was going to have a Auto Trans issue it would be in Moab were its 100 plus Deg and we crawl all day . Never have i once felt my trans was going to fail . This past year i did add a trans cooler and a Power steering cooler more for piece of mind than anything . Plus i run 35inch tires . The few people i have been off road with that have a MT really struggle with them . For DD inTraffic the MT sucks . For Snow and Rain i guess the MT can be better ? But i have never had a issue driving in either . If you are buying a FJ to be sporty around town then the 08 with SC But there are much better cars to do that with .
Plus eating a sandwich, talking on the phone and shaving at the same time is easier with an AT..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
For crawling it is the auto all the way. The torque convertor really makes up for the lack of transfer case gearing. Toyota crawlers are autos or manuals with doublers.
I’ve read that the torque converter pretty much covers that gap for the lower gearing of the manuals, wasn’t sure how true that statement was so it’s good to hear again. I’m still a little skeptical but pretty much everyone is off-roadin in automatics nowadays so they have to be somewhat decent. I wouldn’t say (superior) yet until I’ve actually experienced it lol. I’ve always done pretty well on trails in my manual.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Plus eating a sandwich, talking on the phone and shaving at the same time is easier with an AT..
You just have to shift with your pinky while holding that burrito and your phone (on speaker) in the other hand steering. Also, cup holders DBL as burrito holders!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

How are the 35’s fitting? I see 35’s in my future and still get iffy results when trying to search if they rub. I’ve heard about the body mount chop and hammering down the pinch weld. Other than that a 3inch lift and good to go with 35’s. Or an example of what you are running in your setup if you don’t mind? Sounds like a good build, I didn’t think to add a trans cooler for peace of mind, I like that idea!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Honestly, if it were me, I would go with the 2010. The supercharger is nice, but you will get more immediate benefit out of everything else on the 2010. You may drive it a couple months and decide it has all the power you need, then you are kinda done with the 'Have-to' stuff(not that you HAVE to do anything, but you know). Whereas you buy the SC, and you still have all those other mods ahead of you, which really adds up quick. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah I get what you’re saying, I would put more work into the ‘08 for sure. I just don’t wanna regret not getting the supercharger. Lots of Mountain passes in Colorado that would love to have the power of that Supercharger. But your right that 4.0 engine stock might be enough to satisfy me. Worst case scenario I buy the 2010, want more power, and SUPERCHARGE that one eventually lol. That would probably be years down the road though.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Everyone That has bought a lift will tell you that the lift they bought is the best . I personally like Radflo they are made in house rt in the USA

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would buy the 2010 less issues seing it is a 10 it has the factory upgrades plus all the extras. A 08 will not bring as much cash if you wanted to sell it. Just my opinion. I owned a 10 from new and actually waited for the 10's to come out.
My first one was wrecked bad and 6 months ago i found the one i wanted to replace it. This one is a 10 also and had 53k on it when i bought it. Bone stock i paid 25k i looked for a long time for another iceberg white that was like the one i had before.
Just remember that the 10-14 have more horse power and tork also.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
The 2007-2009 FJ has a few less HP than the 2010-14 but the 07-09 has more torque . the 07-09 is also easier to change the oil filter on .

·
Registered
395 Posts
Congrats on your FJ!!
Team Green always looks good.

I chose the 2010 FJ. Thanks everyone for all the input! It was greatly appreciated! I Will attach pictures to this topic once I pick it up.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Just make sure you have it ready for Moab in July. You can scuff the tires with us

21 - 40 of 49 Posts