Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm a hang glider pilot who uses Ham to communicate with other pilots in the air, and also on the ground coordinating where pilots are going to land for me to pick them up, etc.

I do have my Ham license.

I want to put a unit in my FJ, I haven't decided which one yet, but my needs are pretty basic. I'm only on whatever band frequencies like 146.415. I'd like something powerful, but I don't need a million features. Maybe something along the lines of: Yaesu FT-2900R 75 Watt 2 Meter VHF Mobile Transceiver Amateur Ham Radio ?

Anyway, electronics like this are not my strong point at all.

1. what's the consensus on the best place to mount an antenna? Is the bandi mount something that I need or is that for CB only?

2. does anyone sell a kit with everything I need other than the radio? I just have seen so many posts with all this confusing stuff about different connectors and so on, and I just don't have time to learn everything there is to know, I'm going to use this Ham radio very infrequently so I don't need to know everything about it.

This setup looks nice: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/132758-yaesu-ft-7900r-ham-radio-installation.html

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm a hang glider pilot who uses Ham to communicate with other pilots in the air, and also on the ground coordinating where pilots are going to land for me to pick them up, etc.

I do have my Ham license.

I want to put a unit in my FJ, I haven't decided which one yet, but my needs are pretty basic. I'm only on whatever band frequencies like 146.415. I'd like something powerful, but I don't need a million features. Maybe something along the lines of: Yaesu FT-2900R 75 Watt 2 Meter VHF Mobile Transceiver Amateur Ham Radio ?
Many of my friends have FT 2900Rs in their rigs. It's a very study radio... and with lots of power. Being a 2m transceiver, it covers 146.415 mhz.

Anyway, electronics like this are not my strong point at all.

1. what's the consensus on the best place to mount an antenna? Is the bandi mount something that I need or is that for CB only?
From purely an RF perspective, the center of your roof is the best location. But there are other considerations such as garage clearance and roof racks. I got my 2m antenna on my front bumper.. which is arguably the worse place from an RF perspective. Other options include a Boztec ham mount off the rear door hinge (same location as the Bandi), on the front fenders, on the lip of the roof, off the roof rack, etc..

2. does anyone sell a kit with everything I need other than the radio? I just have seen so many posts with all this confusing stuff about different connectors and so on, and I just don't have time to learn everything there is to know, I'm going to use this Ham radio very infrequently so I don't need to know everything about it.
Probably... I do know that Boztec makes a specific recommendation for use with their mount. HAM Radio Antenna Mount | BozTec

You could do the same with a Boztec ham mount, at least antenna wise. (The 2900 face plate is not detachable). I recommend the Boztec ham mount over the Bandi CB mount for two reasons... one, its designed for Ham antennas, and two, it's made of stainless steel. (I use a Boztec for my CB...but considering dumping it now as I rarely use CB anymore.)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many of my friends have FT 2900Rs in their rigs. It's a very study radio... and with lots of power. Being a 2m transceiver, it covers 146.415 mhz.

From purely an RF perspective, the center of your roof is the best location. But there are other considerations such as garage clearance and roof racks. I got my 2m antenna on my front bumper.. which is arguably the worse place from an RF perspective. Other options include a Boztec ham mount off the rear door hinge (same location as the Bandi), on the front fenders, on the lip of the roof, off the roof rack, etc..

Probably... I do know that Boztec makes a specific recommendation for use with their mount. HAM Radio Antenna Mount | BozTec

You could do the same with a Boztec ham mount, at least antenna wise. (The 2900 face plate is not detachable). I recommend the Boztec ham mount over the Bandi CB mount for two reasons... one, its designed for Ham antennas, and two, it's made of stainless steel. (I use a Boztec for my CB...but considering dumping it now as I rarely use CB anymore.)

Hey thanks a lot man, really appreciate you responding so quickly. Very helpful, thank you! :rocker:

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I use a magnetic mount on the roof with a FT-2900R with great range when it in the center of my roof. It also lets me move it around if I put a large load up there, and it just tips over if I really hit it on something.

You can always drill a hole in your roof later, but if you can operate without the hole in your roof so much the better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Some where on this site I posted photos of my install. I have a Yaesu FT8900 using a Comet UHV4 on the Bandi door hinge mount. The radio body is mounted in the rear cargo area with the face placed just above the rearview mirror and the mic in the console.

The antenna will work better is you do have it mid roof. You can drill a hole and put an NMO mount up there. If you have a roof rack that will protect the antenna. Otherwise a tree limb could sweep the roof and it, the antenna, could be gone. A mag-mount is another possibility. I have several that I use for HTs, one being my VX8G for APRS and the other my V82 for D-Star. Put them about 19 inches apart and you can add a little directionality.

Do a little search for radios that you may like. I would recommend at least a dual band, whether it's a HT or a mobile. If you hold a general class license you might think about having a radio with HF capabilities....

No matter what you do you will likely have someone tell you that you could do it better one way or another or it won''t work, too much loss, etc.. Try what you want to.. HAM should never quit being a learning experience...

Have fun and good luck!!!

Bill - W7PVA
Prescott Valley AZ
DM34tp

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have to agree that a boztech mount is one of the best, people have complained about rust on their bandi mounts after a couple years.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
The mounts on the door hinge work OK. I drilled out a bandi to take a UHF barrel connector, then used a maldol SR2×4 on it. There is some mag mounts out there too. Firestik makes a 2m antenna with a 3/8-24 mount. Diamond antenna makes mounts and some good antennas. Their CR320 is one of the better ones. Their mounts are lip mounts so you can put them wherever. I'm moving my high freq antenna to the right side with a diamond mount. There is a lot out there

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts